Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Australian Bandsters Chat Thread

Hi Sam.

Did you have to go on the opti diet?

As you mentioned coffee, I thought we could not have coffee on this diet.

How long do you have to wait untill your first fill?

Questions Questions.

It is good to chat with some one that is having the same Dr.

cheers Suzanna

I have never been a coffee drinker. Now all of a sudden, I can't get enough of it. I add a cup of coffee to my Protein drink in the mornings. It helps the horrible cramps I was getting in my thighs every single night. Since the caffeine..no cramps. Wish I had known that sleepless nights before. I think you will find you just aren't supposed to have it for the first couple of months. Take care and good luck!! :)

Good luck! Well, you aren't allowed caffeine AFTER the surgery, at least for the first month. It sure makes the Protein drink go down better, but the main thing is that it stops the cramping. It was awful, really awful. Now, I'm learning to like coffee.

My son went back to our home in Australia last month. Waa! Waa! I can't tell you how much I miss my home!!

Hi

Well I only have six days to go, I have to admit, it is geting better on this Optifast. I have been having the veggies at night which has been a good.

I think the nerves are starting to get a bit shakey now.Not sure on the weightloss but something is happening as clothes are starting to feel loose.I have not had the energy that I have heard people say they have, I was hoping I would as looking after 3 foster children under 3 has been hard on this diet.Anway not long now

and I will be a bandit.

cheers Suzanna:tounge_smile:

Hi guys, its Tania from Lakes Entrance, Vic, Australia. Just checking in. I am having surgery this Thurs to have my tubing re-positioned in the hope that it stops my ongoing severe shoulder tip pain.

Banded: 31/7/08

Loss so far: 10kg!

The absolute best thing to do is ask your Band Dr what THEY think about you drinking coffee. My Doc has no problem with it (as long as you are drinking lots of Water too so you don't get dehydrated). In fact my Doc has no problem with drinking soft drink/soda either. He actually recommends keeping some low/no sugar soft drink in the house in case you get stuck cos the bubbles in it can release a blockage (they can for me, I've tried it). Admittedly I don't drink it often, but I may have one every now and then. But what I am saying is that YOUR Dr might forbid you from having carbonated beverages, these are the things you should be asking them directly.

Also, most Aussie Docs recommend quite different things to most American Docs. We typically don't do the whole Protein first, then veggies, then carbs thing. I've been on this board for almost 2 years and all the Aussies I've had contact with have had the same eating recommended as I have - eat a healthy well balanced diet and with everything in moderation and exercise regularly. For most people, there is no use putting yourself on a strict "diet" with the band and trying to cut out a lot of things that you were eating pre-band (some you will have to cut out because you won't be able to eat them - like bread for me, it comes straight back up every time - you'll learn which foods won't work for you by trial and error!). If you could do that and have that will power why couldn't you just lose and KEEP OFF that weight alone? To my Doc, that's not what the band is about. Its hard to break a life time of habits for MOST people, so why force yourself onto a diet where you feel like you are only living half a life because you are SO confined by the diet you are on? Again, I can't stress enough that exercise will be something that makes the difference between being successful and being REALLY successful with your band (I know a couple of other Aussies Jachut and Chickie will second and third that).

Of course this is just my (and my Dr's) opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. While most people on this board are helpful and sincere nothing beats speaking to a professional - your Dr - for guidance on how you can achieve the best results you can. They should be able to provide you with a comprehensive do's and don'ts handbook or may have a consultant you can speak to about any problems or questions you might have. Take advantage of that support if it is available, because that along with the support you receive here will be invaluable.

Good luck to those of you just beginning your journey. I'll tell you, its not always been easy, but my band is still a blessing for me almost 2 years down the track. I'm thankful for it every day :crying:

Edited by She Smiles

Hi, Im back! thanks for perservering at getting my attention bandsters, Its been 2 years since the surgery, and I have lost 37kg. It has been an interesting ride, not without its problems. I apparently have a slippage, but I am trying to live with it, instead of having another operation. I can only tolerate 1.25 ML I got up to 2mL but it was impossible to eat, drink, or think straight. and the pain, in the stomach, the shoulder, and the reflux up the throat at night was shocking. so I gradually reduced the fill, until I reached 1.25ml. I just cannot sustain a progressive weight loss, I am just stuck.I was eating small meals , but lately everything I eat seems to sit in the gullet again and I have to drink copious amounts of Water to flush it through, at night it can come up my throat and almost choke me if im not careful and make sure I eat early in the evening 20mins after eating I experience pain and bloating in the stomach area and into the back does anybody have a problem of this nature?

Hi

Well I only have six days to go, I have to admit, it is geting better on this Optifast. I have been having the veggies at night which has been a good.

I think the nerves are starting to get a bit shakey now.Not sure on the weightloss but something is happening as clothes are starting to feel loose.I have not had the energy that I have heard people say they have, I was hoping I would as looking after 3 foster children under 3 has been hard on this diet.Anway not long now

and I will be a bandit.

cheers Suzanna:tounge_smile:

Good luck! You are going to feel and look AWESOME!!!!

The absolute best thing to do is ask your Band Dr what THEY think about you drinking coffee. My Doc has no problem with it (as long as you are drinking lots of Water too so you don't get dehydrated). In fact my Doc has no problem with drinking soft drink/soda either. He actually recommends keeping some low/no sugar soft drink in the house in case you get stuck cos the bubbles in it can release a blockage (they can for me, I've tried it). Admittedly I don't drink it often, but I may have one every now and then. But what I am saying is that YOUR Dr might forbid you from having carbonated beverages, these are the things you should be asking them directly.

Also, most Aussie Docs recommend quite different things to most American Docs. We typically don't do the whole Protein first, then veggies, then carbs thing. I've been on this board for almost 2 years and all the Aussies I've had contact with have had the same eating recommended as I have - eat a healthy well balanced diet and with everything in moderation and exercise regularly. For most people, there is no use putting yourself on a strict "diet" with the band and trying to cut out a lot of things that you were eating pre-band (some you will have to cut out because you won't be able to eat them - like bread for me, it comes straight back up every time - you'll learn which foods won't work for you by trial and error!). If you could do that and have that will power why couldn't you just lose and KEEP OFF that weight alone? To my Doc, that's not what the band is about. Its hard to break a life time of habits for MOST people, so why force yourself onto a diet where you feel like you are only living half a life because you are SO confined by the diet you are on? Again, I can't stress enough that exercise will be something that makes the difference between being successful and being REALLY successful with your band (I know a couple of other Aussies Jachut and Chickie will second and third that).

Of course this is just my (and my Dr's) opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. While most people on this board are helpful and sincere nothing beats speaking to a professional - your Dr - for guidance on how you can achieve the best results you can. They should be able to provide you with a comprehensive do's and don'ts handbook or may have a consultant you can speak to about any problems or questions you might have. Take advantage of that support if it is available, because that along with the support you receive here will be invaluable.

Good luck to those of you just beginning your journey. I'll tell you, its not always been easy, but my band is still a blessing for me almost 2 years down the track. I'm thankful for it every day :redface:

You are so right about speaking to a professional! Peer advice is helpful, but most of us are not professionals and only speaking from personal experience.

You are also right about Aussie docs and American (or anywhere else) docs. Everywhere they treat it differently. Australian doctors have a lot more experience with the lapband than American doctors. I wish sometimes my (american) doctors would pay attention and actually look up experience "issues" that Aussie doctors have had. That would help the patients here and if issues do come up, the Aussie doctors have probably already dealt with them and have a solution. Oh well.

Hi Everyone I'm new to this, and have finally made the decision to start living my best life! At 31 I don't want to wait until I'm older to make this decision SO I'm due for surgery 17th of this month- NERVOUS but excited for my future! Been on Optifast for 2 weeks and lost 6kg- now at 103.7 Lots more to go! Don't mind opti- actually i have surprised myself on how well i've done- I think its "the fear of god" in me If i don't succeed-my op could be comprised! Looking forward to chatting and reading more inspiring stories!:cool2:

:biggrin: Im coming out of the closet too ... after many years of thinking an lurking am just making the first steps about getting lapbanding. To read an to join in such chats have been so helpful. Am in the goldfields an am thinking of Dr Kevin Dolan as it will be close to where i stay in perth. So fingers crossed it will all run smoothly!!!!:cool2:

Hi, Im back! thanks for perservering at getting my attention bandsters, Its been 2 years since the surgery, and I have lost 37kg. It has been an interesting ride, not without its problems. I apparently have a slippage, but I am trying to live with it, instead of having another operation. I can only tolerate 1.25 ML I got up to 2mL but it was impossible to eat, drink, or think straight. and the pain, in the stomach, the shoulder, and the reflux up the throat at night was shocking. so I gradually reduced the fill, until I reached 1.25ml. I just cannot sustain a progressive weight loss, I am just stuck.I was eating small meals , but lately everything I eat seems to sit in the gullet again and I have to drink copious amounts of Water to flush it through, at night it can come up my throat and almost choke me if im not careful and make sure I eat early in the evening 20mins after eating I experience pain and bloating in the stomach area and into the back does anybody have a problem of this nature?

I haven't had the problem but all the advice that I've read in this forum suggests that, rather than "trying to live with it", you should have ALL the fill removed, go on liquids for 1-2 weeks and let the swelling go down. If you've been having problems and slippage, then your stomach will be quite swollen at the moment and that isn't going to get better while you're still struggling. Only worry about going for the fill again when you get really hungry and are having no problems eating large meals of solid healthy foods like lean meats and salads, etc. Maybe you are one of those who just doesn't need a fill at all - it happens! Good luck with it!!

I'll fourth that!! The more I read about the band, people's experience and live with my own experiences, the more I am convinced that this is the right approach.

Whilst I generally agree with the comments above, I am one of those people that undertook this lapband journey, because exercise was doing nothing for me. In fact, more than nothing, it was helping me put on weight. The more sport I played, the more weight I stacked on despite eating the right things (but probably too much).

I have been in the dreaded plateau mode for so long now it hurts. I lost some, then had to have fill removed, put on some and lost a bit again. Despite playing netball 5 times per week the last 6 weeks or so, the weight just won't shift for me.

What is happening is that I am toning more with the exercise rather than dropping the kilos. However, all the weight I need to lose is in my butt and legs and that is the hardest to lose (in my experience!).

Exercise is not for everyone, and everyones bodies are different. I am just one of the unlucky ones that it doesn't help!!!

Edited by peek

Exercise is no magic cure all for obesity but it IS for everyone! We all NEED exercise for our health and wellbeing.

When there's other reasons why we've become obese, we cant cure it with exercise alone, but exercise is never a waste of time. And like you say Kylie, you're toning up, that's everybit as important as numbers on a scale. Plus my dear, you are well and truly below obese now. It can get very very hard to lose past that point and it may take more than many people are willing to live with to attain and maintain a lower BMI than that. You've been a resounding success really.

I know for me, it took me like an entire year to lose 5kg last year. Truly. And since then, I've been trying to lose more weight this entire year and not lost an ounce. I guess I'm lucky in that that happened to me at a BMI of 22 or so, but I think at least in my case, I have to accept that unless I want to really get into strict diet, weight training and all that awful boring diet stuff, then this is what I weigh.

I run an hour a couple of times a week and I'm not losing, but that doesnt mean running isnt working for me, not by a long shot! But to lose anymore, after 3 years of running, I'd have to shock my body, do something different, take up weights, do the high Protein thing.

Y-A-W-N. I couldnt be stuffed personally. But that *may* help your plateau.