Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foods in the house for when I come home from surgery?....q

Ok, so maybe the answer is here somewhere in one of the many posts and I don't want to ask a question that may have asked many times before, so if anyone can send me a link to my answer great.

I am trying to put together a list of ready at home foods for after my surgery and would like some ideas from all you knowledgeable people who have been there done that already, as to what to stock my fridge and shelves with for when I get home from my surgery ? I know its liquids, and mushies and pureed but some ideas would be great. Thanks, Pamela :) June 25th surgery!!

Did your doctor give you a diet guideline to follow? Clear Liquids, full liquids, pureed, etc? I had sample menus.

Don't "stock up" because you will not be eating much. Protein drinks, broth, creamed Soups, cream of wheat, applesauce, sugar free ice pops, sugar free pudding....that is what I had for the first couple of weeks.

You may not want to stock up on post-op foods just yet. I remember my taste buds being out of whack for a few weeks and things I liked pre-op just didn't taste the same.

Pre-op, I bought a case of chicken Soup - 6 months later, I gave it away. I never want to see chicken Soup again! :-p

You will also be surprised at how little you are going to eat post-op. I had to keep reminding myself of that when I was planning for post-op eating. My 1st 10 days, post-op meals consisted of sugar free popsicles, sugar free Jello and Crystal Light.

If I were to do it over again, I'd buy a few bottles of my favorite Protein shakes, sugar free Jello, and sugar free popsicles and maybe some chicken broth.

Michelle H,

Yes he did and I have met and spoken with my NUT, I just wanted to see if anybody had some things that they personally liked that was different that what is in black and white on the take home packet. :) and thanks so much for your reply and input.

I agree with the above statements do not buy a lot of stuff because your taste will changes, trust me you will get sick of chicken broth / Soup and Jello I bought so much that now I am giving it away to my nieces, and I am only 1 week and a half out. The only thing that I would probably add to your list will be soft foods like tuna and any mush meat. Good luck nd congrats on your choice to be healthy.

Love the tropical flavors of SG Popsicles! I couldn't stomach the flavor of chocolate or coffee right after surgery, which made most of the shakes I had on hand useless. I absolutely loved the sample pack of Syntrax Nectar shakes during this period. Eating or drinking anything is so hard, and repeating the same flavors over and over is harder, so the sampler was a lifesaver. I bought two of them. syntrax's number is 866-333-7403 to order a dozen packets for about 14 dollars. If you buy the packets individually it would cost $24 at least. I also enjoyed Better Than Boullion for making cups of warm broth. The beef flavor, especially. I even liked adding unflavored Protein Powder to it, which lent a bit of a sour cream flavor. I agree with others that you don't want to buy much. Your tastes will change too quickly.

Thank you so much Ziggy I will look into the Syntrax! I like Soup so I know the warm chicken and beef broth will be a great idea for me. Such good ideas from everyone! :)

I guess it depends on your docs orders. I got home yesterday and will be on a clear liquid diet for 3 days,through tomorrow. I have had no problems getting my liquids down. I started with Water then was given chicken stock which I really liked. However, on my first day home I think I OD'e on the salt in the stoke. Now I have switched to sugar free Jello, popcicles and fruit juice with no added sugar. Tea will be next.

For first three days purchase,

Stock

sugar free popcicles and Jello

fruit juice without added sugar

Tea and possibley coffee.

After three days I can have anything that will go through a straw for a couple of weeks. I look at that as anything I can run through a blender is fare game. Thing like canned Soup pureed. I will not shop for those items until my menu changes. Many other posters do not recommend stocking up on anything until needed because ones tastes change. So far for me my tastes havent changed, but I am hungry.

Number one rule do not stock up. I have so much food to donate to our group. I was in the grocery store a couple days after surgery. You won't be laid up and unable to shop. You can survive on very little. Refried Beans were good when I could eat mushy, with a little taco sauce, and cottage cheese, small curd. Crystal Light (which I hated prior to surgery) Peach Tea is our favorite drink. At 3 months post-sleeve. we were told to quit the Protein Drinks, and I was told I was eating too much Protein. Everything seems to change after surgery, especially your taste for food. Best wishes!<br />

Thank you so much Ziggy I will look into the Syntrax! I like Soup so I know the warm chicken and beef broth will be a great idea for me. Such good ideas from everyone! :)

if you want to try Syntrax, I just ordered these samples today

Right now in their website they have a special you can call and order the variety sampler 15 full serving packets for $15 plus 1.99 shipping. Call 866-333-7403 ext 803 m-f 8am to 5pm central standard time

FYI, I bought a lot of the Unjury chicken Soup mixes (it was winter) on the advice here. It clumps in hot Water and lukewarm soup is not very good. Be warned!