Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy Chanukah Arlene.

Happy Chanukah Arlene.

Thanks, same to you Liz. We went to my son's last night. Ate a few bites of cheese pizza and a few bite of 1 latkes and got stuck. I had a Protein bar when I got home around 10. Tonight is my brother's, latkes, again.

Have a great Saturday.

Happy Chanukah and Merry Christmas my friends.

Just read a post that pissed me off a bit. Guess I should go find something else to do with my free time. It really irks me when someone who has never been banded makes off the cuff comments that the band should be avoided like the plague if you have over a 100 pounds to lose. How dare they say that with absolutely no experiences to back it up with? People come on here for advice and support and all they face is more questions and self doubt about their choices.

Sometimes I just want to scream at the top of my lungs....so frustrating.

I belong to many WLS groups on FB. Last week someone asked about people who weighed more than 400 and have the band. I told them about you, never a name but said it took 3 years and that your reward was DW. Many people think you can't lose with the band. I don't think it's the doctor's offices but other people saying things they know nothing about. I know I still have my insides. One woman who lost 250 just had her band replaced and she is happy with it.

Arlene

Happy Chanukah and Merry Christmas my friends.

Just read a post that pissed me off a bit. Guess I should go find something else to do with my free time. It really irks me when someone who has never been banded makes off the cuff comments that the band should be avoided like the plague if you have over a 100 pounds to lose. How dare they say that with absolutely no experiences to back it up with? People come on here for advice and support and all they face is more questions and self doubt about their choices.

Sometimes I just want to scream at the top of my lungs....so frustrating.

I just saw the comment Jim and posted my own. I reiterated that one can't bash a surgery without clarifying why. Then I also used my own situation to note that I am a success. For the life of me, I can't understand why people who suffer the same issues are so devisive on what surgery one chooses. Who cares which surgery it is...as long as it's what the person wants and is comfortable with...and is successful with. I know...sorry...we're just preaching to the choir. Time for me to go offline as well. Heading out to an exhibit later this afternoon and then going for a foot massage. Tomorrow I head to Florida to help mom take care of dad. He had heart surgery a week ago and is doing great. Sis and brother are there now and I take over starting Wednesday when sis heads back home. So wonderful to be able to be healthy enough to take care of a family member instead of having them take care of me. That's what this is all about...living our lives.

Thanks, same to you Liz. We went to my son's last night. Ate a few bites of cheese pizza and a few bite of 1 latkes and got stuck. I had a Protein bar when I got home around 10. Tonight is my brother's, latkes, again.

Have a great Saturday.

Oh gosh...no latkes tonight, OK? Let that tummy settle down.. Enjoy!

I just saw the comment Jim and posted my own. I reiterated that one can't bash a surgery without clarifying why. Then I also used my own situation to note that I am a success. For the life of me, I can't understand why people who suffer the same issues are so devisive on what surgery one chooses. Who cares which surgery it is...as long as it's what the person wants and is comfortable with...and is successful with. I know...sorry...we're just preaching to the choir. Time for me to go offline as well. Heading out to an exhibit later this afternoon and then going for a foot massage. Tomorrow I head to Florida to help mom take care of dad. He had heart surgery a week ago and is doing great. Sis and brother are there now and I take over starting Wednesday when sis heads back home. So wonderful to be able to be healthy enough to take care of a family member instead of having them take care of me. That's what this is all about...living our lives.

I'm happy your father is recovering well. Hopefully FL weather will be better than NYC weather. Have a great day today.

I've had a week of head hunger. I know my band is at green. At least for now. But even without physical hunger I was thinking about food all day long this week. I came to the conclusion that I'm emotional about Christmas and the people I won't see this year due to my pending divorce. Also, my daughter is leaving for Europe in three weeks and I won't see her until summer. So on these two levels, I'm grieving, even though I'm busy busy busy and doing all my daily errands and whatnot. The interesting thing about being a banded food addict is that I now know when I'm stressed and avoiding feelings. It's when I'm properly "fed" but still thinking about food. Whereas I used to be able to be in denial (I'm so hungry), I know with my properly filled band that I'm not physically hungry. So therefore it's emotional. My choice then is to deal with those feelings or remain obsessed about food all day. I go to OA, and it helped to talk this out today. This is going to be a rough couple of weeks. I don't want to eat over it.

@@JustWatchMe, hang tough girlfriend.

I think we all have a hard time this time of year. It's all about food and nothing really healthy. I made brownies for my husband at his request, they are from scratch, ultimate brownies gooey, chocolate and came out perfect. how do you resist those? I did have to try a small piece . Add stress to that mixture and you may fall slightly off the wagon . I know that with my band I won't sit down and eat the whole pan of brownies, I know that Christmas and the Holidays will be short lived and you will be back on track and back to successfully losing. I know I am a sugar addict so I have to fight hard to avoid all the sugary treats this time of year. You are doing great, Give yourself credit.

ipad driving me crazy -- erased posts, etc. Re: our forum, I am so glad for this thread (thanks CG) and also that I started out on LB Talk. No competition from other surgery advocates. Let's face it, there are a lot if Sleevers out there. Good for them but I need support for my choice.

Arlene, sounds like you are having fun and enjoying time with your kids. Happy holidays! And Liz, it's going to be nice to soak up some Florida sunshine. I've been in elder care mode, too. My father is now in special care -- he will be 90 at his next birthday. I love being with him. My mother, however is more challenging for me.

I attended a holiday party and reverted to old behavior -- in this case going for the salad and veggies at a buffet table -- my old dieter's mentality. Did not chew well enough and had to find a bathroom. Oh dear. I will be much more careful.

Happy Solstice to all! We are having a big party tonight.

@@JustWatchMe you are so wonderfully insightful. isn't it fabulous really, really showing up in our lives? I don't think I knew how tamped down I was keeping everything. As soon as something would poke it's head up I would reach for food to quell whatever it was. That tendency is still there but I am learning to take that opportunity to examine the feeling, ask the questions, etc. Getting overtired is not good for me as things get foggy. Overwhelm is always right around the corner. And then there's all the situational stuff -- trying to rework my automatic responses. Last night I was at an old family farm at a gathering that was not with my people -- I was nervous, not relaxed. Uncomfortable with comments on my weight loss. Irritated by everything. Turning to food was automatic and I lost myself for a few minutes. My band reminded me and I'm glad of that, that I have this thing to keep me in check, even if the end result was me getting stuck. I'm also fighting with the darkness and am glad for this turn-around day and lengthening daylight over the coming months. I get so inwardly-turned. And also it's more difficult to exercise now that I can't walk outside. But I know it's the exercising that is helping with the rewiring of how I think. I'm committed to my health now, to choosing myself first. This season is all about giving and for people who give too much of themselves it's important to remember to give ourselves what we need. Sometimes I need space. Yesterday I needed a nap. This morning i need to walk so it's down to the basement and on the treadmill.

Showing up in our lives. I love that phrase. I'm having some issues with the two men I've been dating and the urge to turn to food is strong. But I don't...and will deal with these guys as I need to rather than eat to distraction as I would have done in the old days.

Thanks goodness for my band..and my therapist. Glad I'm heading to Florida to focus on dad and to help mom. Driving them to the doctor tomorrow as a matter of fact. I'm also looking forward to the nice weather and swimming laps in a warm pool. I love the feeling of speed as I slice through the Water. And no...I'm not a fast swimmer but I feel fast and that's what counts.

I feel so grateful for the folks on this thread. ❤️

Good morning everyone.

I love reading about everyone, it helps with my everyday life and band life.

Last night did my family's Hanukkah at my brother's. One of my DIL's has issues, MS. But MS should not make you anywhere from 30-90 minutes late for everything. Awful. It makes everyone on edge and my poor son has zero control. Then I really pissed her off. Their son will be 7 on Wednesday and I brought a cake. They are both so made. Made my husband really pissed and he wanted me to take the cake home. My brother said that is what grandmothers do, get over it, too bad. Last cake I ever buy for their family. My son sucks!!

Then Dylan, b. day boy, said to me I only eat chocolate cake. I bought white. Can't win.

We did have a nice time though. I had the 2 year old with me because his parents had plans. Max sang all night in the car, 30-45 minutes each way, Puff the Magic Dragon. Then we get to his house and for his bedtime story, the book. My son blame the other grandmother for both.

My eating was pretty good. I had 1 bite of a potato latke and some chicken. I did have cake and my nephew brought a coffee roll type donut that was the size of a cake. I had a bite, very sweet. Got on the scale and I lost weight because I didn't eat enough, I think.

Snow here, south of Boston and now icy.

Everyone have a great Sunday, stay warm.

This is the best therapy for all WLS people, talking to people who understand and don't judge, thanks. :)

Arlene

Arlene, yes -- we are like group therapy here. Love it.

Arlene...I have to admit that your family stories highlight my day. I read them and feel so glad that it's just not my screwed up family out there...lol! I have one DIL I have to walk on eggshells around and another who puts on a puss if/when I do something wrong. And as mothers of sons know, you have to get along with the DIL so you can see the son and grandchildren when you want. The only revenge I get is that my younger DIL is having a boy so she will see eventually what it's like.

I too am so very grateful for the friends I've made on this site. To not have to explain stuff and know that you all understand is so comforting. Even the therapist can't quite get some of what I tell her about being a fat girl in a thin body...or how freeing it feels to fit everywhere now. Or how I am still a control freak about how/what I eat. I'll never be free of the food demon and I know it. I'll have to be vigilant the rest of my life and do whatever I have to in order to make sure I don't put myself in harm's way..be in situational or someone toxic in my life. I know that you guys understand exactly what I'm talking about.