Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Site a little confusing?

When I log in, I click "New Content" and then directly into the "Lap Band" section....

And yet, it seems the majority of posters there are people other than those with the lap band surgery??

Even when the OP is is a Lap Bander, and asks a specific lap Band question or comment, the majority of responses are from those who have had other surgeries?

Is this giving the OP a realistic discussion????

I have had the lap band procedure....I cannot and will not post under a topic that was started and pertains to say, Sleeving, for instance. I have no experience in this area, so I cannot comment, and I seldom go to those forums....

I have no knowledge of other bariatric surgeries and the possible similarities, but I feel it can be confusing to hear other peoples advice and personal experiences when they have not had the same surgery as the OP.

Especially someone just starting out, and has a specific question pertaining to their surgery.....

I know you can enter a "General" wight loss discussions, and that there are forums specific to the different procedures, why are they all mixing in, and cannot participate strictly within the area of interest???

Yesterday there was a topic started by someone who had the Lap Band Surgery, and the question was very specific to life with the lap band.

This morning I go back to read through the many comments made since yesterday, and was surprised to see the over all majority of comments were from people with gastric Sleeve.....

In this particular topic, I do not think the experiences are the same, and the original topic got watered down in the process....Newly banded people reading that topic will get a very unrealistic view of what the experience is really like with the Band.

Edited by B-52

I agree, I am not sure if we lapbanders are being over powered, of if there is something that Alex needs to look at in options! Good to see you B-52.

I always check the responders surgery type...then join in...not sure if there is any thing that can be done...but I understand. but I am familiar with persons that I know are banders so I follow their posts. that's the way I find my answers I need. hope that helps you a bit. I am always on the look out for new banders too to try to make them aware of those of us that are banders and lead them in our directions.

I joined a conversation yesterday where the OP had lap-band as surgery type. I commented, then got all these comments correcting me, because the OP must have changed their surgery type to sleeve after my comment.

"Recent Topics" lists posts from most, if not all threads in Bariatric Pal. I know it's not ideal, but for the time being, if a bander only wants others with the band to respond, perhaps they could say that in their initial post? I don't always pay attention to what type of WLS a poster has had, so a request for banders only would help me to be more respectful of your needs. I don't think any of us sleevers want to overpower you--we just didn't know any better!

I have no problem with it. I see who's posting and note what kind of surgery they had and adjust accordingly.

I think there is much to learn from all having bariatric surgery no matter which proceedure. The surgery center I am going through did lap bands for many years. Most of the employees have lap bads. Today the sleeve has become the more popular proceedure, so their program has adapted. With either the diet is the same. Our support group has people that have had the full range of surgeries. Its great to be able to talk with all groups.

I think it is the same issue we see with The powder Room and The Guy's Room. People just don't pay attention to the sub-forum they are in. They get overly excited to relate some bit of experience because they were able to connect to a topic in some, perhaps small, way.

There is also the issue Betty points out that many folks do not have their surgery type entered correctly. I know when the new format came, I was listed as LAP-BAND. This was because I FIRST joined LapBandTalk, BEFORE I joined VerticalSleeveTalk. So, when the new format came in, that was what was attached to my profile. I did edit it, but many folks have not.

I think there is much to learn from all having bariatric surgery no matter which proceedure. The surgery center I am going through did lap bands for many years. Most of the employees have lap bads. Today the sleeve has become the more popular proceedure, so their program has adapted. With either the diet is the same. Our support group has people that have had the full range of surgeries. Its great to be able to talk with all groups.

I agree 100%.....but my point is, if you have a Specific question or a specific problem pertaining to your type of surgery, it would not be productive if I were to tell you what I think based upon my type of surgery and subsequently my experiences.....I think in that case, you would prefer to hear from someone in the same boat, as it were.

Generalities yes, but specifics, no. Yet that is what I see...I do not think people realize what forum they are responding to.

I do not use my smart phone to access this forum....I did once or twice and noticed I did not have all the menu choices readily available as I do on my PC or Tablet....that may be the reason.

Edited by B-52

I have been bothered by this for sometime. I sometimes wonder why we are all mixed together when you specifically go to lapband it still throws the other folks in there. Unless they are posting on lapband for some reason? anyway I cannot comment on any other surgeries either I had a lapband and have been successful, I have no gripes or complaints and don't care what everyone else thinks I should do. I know we all need to lose weight and I know there are different methods but I want to talk to other bandsters not people who don't know about being banded. I am not trying to be rude just agree with B52 and just don't know why we can't go back to our own forum.

I agree 100%.....but my point is, if you have a Specific question or a specific problem pertaining to your type of surgery, it would not be productive if I were to tell you what I think based upon my type of surgery and subsequently my experiences.....I think in that case, you would prefer to hear from someone in the same boat, as it were.

Generalities yes, but specifics, no. Yet that is what I see...I do not think people realize what forum they are responding to.

I do not use my smart phone to access this forum....I did once or twice and noticed I did not have all the menu choices readily available as I do on my PC or Tablet....that may be the reason.

Just to reiterate my original post, and as you point out, people don't look at where they are posting. It is obvious all over the boards. This was true BEFORE the boards were combined. Combining them is not the cause nor has it changed this behavior. I was true on VST as well as LBT.

But again, the surgery type listed in the profile may not be the surgery they actually had. I know this is true for anyone who joined prior to the re-org. Somebody may have had the band, but has the sleeve listed in their profile.

@@Alex Brecher, how about a campaign to get people to update their profiles? Remember the profile update iTouch give-away? Might be time for one of those.

Edited by PdxMan

When I log in, I click "New Content" and then directly into the "Lap Band" section....

And yet, it seems the majority of posters there are people other than those with the lap band surgery??

Even when the OP is is a Lap Bander, and asks a specific lap Band question or comment, the majority of responses are from those who have had other surgeries?

Is this giving the OP a realistic discussion????

I have had the lap band procedure....I cannot and will not post under a topic that was started and pertains to say, Sleeving, for instance. I have no experience in this area, so I cannot comment, and I seldom go to those forums....

I have no knowledge of other bariatric surgeries and the possible similarities, but I feel it can be confusing to hear other peoples advice and personal experiences when they have not had the same surgery as the OP.

Especially someone just starting out, and has a specific question pertaining to their surgery.....

I know you can enter a "General" wight loss discussions, and that there are forums specific to the different procedures, why are they all mixing in, and cannot participate strictly within the area of interest???

Yesterday there was a topic started by someone who had the Lap Band Surgery, and the question was very specific to life with the lap band.

This morning I go back to read through the many comments made since yesterday, and was surprised to see the over all majority of comments were from people with gastric Sleeve.....

In this particular topic, I do not think the experiences are the same, and the original topic got watered down in the process....Newly banded people reading that topic will get a very unrealistic view of what the experience is really like with the Band.

I SOOOO agree with you. Lap Banders have specific questions and need and I was wondering why others were on our boards. Hope they change it. Thanks for bringing this up!

I would not like to see these forums become so specific that banders shun advice from sleevers, RNY or DS members or block them altogher? I know I sometimes wander over to other boards and make comments. Of course, I can't offer competent advice specifically relating to their surgical needs, but I can chime in with an atta girl or talk to your doctor advice.

It's not that difficult to see who is offering advice. Advice from someone 5 days out of any kind of surgery isn't any more valuable than a veteran bander offering dietary advice to a RNY patient.jmo

I like it just like it is. Thank you.

I am going to agree with b-52. I cannot in good conscious respond to a sleever or gastric bypass on food. it would make me so uncomfortable. so what is sad is I noticed a lot of sleeve questions go unanswered. I am not getting as involved or giving advice because I don't want to get embroiled in a fight over something I post that is perfect for a banded person. our problems are different. I too wish alex could at least keep the forums separated.