Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are the diabetic type 1's

Question for type one diabetic sleeve. How did you do on the pre op diet? I'm having lows even now before I get to the liquid diet. trying to control it with sf apple sauce and healthier choices other than real sugar. ( I don't want dumping syndrome) Am I over thinking all this out of nerves? thanks again,Jenn1

Hi Jenn!

Work very closely with your endocrinologist or CDE. Are you on a pump? You will need to lower your basals (or lantus or NPH) as well as your boluses for food. I had no real problems on the pre-op diet, as I had a 1200 calorie diet. I was also very insulin resistant pre-op (despite being a Type I--belly fat caused this).Man, has that changed! My biggest hurdle since surgery has been lowering my insulin. Pre-op I took about 80 units of insulin a day. As of today I am taking around 20. It's a good thing, but the lows are mind numbing, literally! I look forward to getting to my goal weight so I can stabilize my insulin dosage, rather than dropping my basals every day.

A word of advice--buy Dex4 liquid glucose for lows and reintroduce your family members to insulin glucose injections in case of nighttime lows. I have never "dumped" due to sugar, so I wouldn't worry about that too much with the sleeve.

There is a diabetic sleevers page, but I don't find it updated very often.

Good luck! :)

Thanks so much for the response. Im not on a pump. I do take novalog 7 units with each meal. And lantus 40 units twice a day. I have been dropping to lows and adjusting them with reducing the amount of insulin. I just have to get into the mindset this is just going to come with the wls. Do you have highs as well?

Thanks again,

Jenn

I am also type 1 and was very insulin resistant. I used to take 50 units lantus in morning and 20 before bed and then Humalog when I ate my meals. now I do not take any lantus at bedtime and I only take 30 units in the morning and I rarely take Humalog cause I am not eating carbs. My nut. told me to drink 4 to 8 oz of 100% fruit juice when I had a low she recommended juicy juice. I am still adjusting to everything and still have lots of highs and after surgery my BS's stayed high for at least a month.

Wow,

If you don't mind me asking. What brings on the highs. Is it just body chemistry postoperative?

Thanks again,

jenn

Yes, the body reacts to stress by releasing hormones that counteract the effects of insulin. It's normal, but different for all of us. :) I was high for a week or so immediately after surgery, then it was like I was hit with a bomb. Low blood sugars all over the place. Be aware that if you are always taking 7 units of novalog, regardless of carb intake, that will need to change because you won't be eating many carbs. (No bread, Pasta, rice, starchy veggies, crackers, etc.)

I do occasionally have a high. the last time was due to a pump malfunction. Yuck. Otherwise, if it peaks after dinner/bedtime snack, I know it will plummet over night. (And it does!)

I'm feeling better! thanks for all the info. I'm just so close to surgery and I'm over thinking things. Good to know you both are doing well. I need that positive kick in the butt sometimes.

Thanks for being there,

Jenn

I was over thinking everything before surgery too, the main thing is get in the mindset that it will all change after surgery I know for me I still can't believe "I don't have to take a shot of insulin when I eat"...that just has never been normal for me so it is an adjustment. Teachamy was a lot of help to me before and after surgery, main difference for us I think is she has a lot of lows and sounds like she is in better control than me.

For me, the big problem of my type I was the Type II insulin resistance I had pre-op. Apparently not all Type I's have the same degree of insulin resistance. It seemed no matter what amount of insulin I took, my body wanted more. More insulin=more fat, and more hunger. Now that I have virtually no insulin resistance, the insulin can actually do its job. I wouldn't say I am in better control--we just each have our different challenges. Unfortunately, our bodies seem to be the ones in control! Bottom line, diabetes sucks, over 30 years of dealing with it, and I AM SICK OF IT! But I am really thankful for WLS, it has made treatment so much easier!

Pre op and what a change.....Who knew?

I step on the scale and it keeps moving down! I'm no longer Morbidly Obese...I'm now just Obese.

My a1c is 6.7

I've adjusted my Insulin to once a day....... from 5 times a day.

The insulin adjustment has helped so much. I don't get panicked when my blood sugar drops. I feel less hunger pangs.

Just feeling so thankful!

Jenn