Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My new life has started!

Hi guys,

I wanted to introduce myself. My name is Paige and I'm 21 years old. I started my journey for the 4th time in February 2014 trying to have gastric bypass surgery. The past 3 times have been failed attempts due to emotions, not ready, or my dad not supporting me. After all the testing, many dr appts, and support group meeting I finally had my 2nd birthday May 19th, 2014. I am 6 days out and feel great!!! I have had a breakdown since surgery. I have craved fried foods so bad. It's crazy. I have found out and came to the realization that I have lost my best friend(food). The post op diet has been pretty challenging. I didn't think it would be this challenging. I'm physically doing amazing, but mental it's HARD! Does anyone have any suggestions or pointers on how to handle this hard time with my post op diet? Also can anyone who has had the surgery give me some lead way into what I may experience in the next few weeks on my journey.

Hi Paige

Welcome to the journey!.. I am four months out from gbs. The biggest challenge was head hunger. I felt like many times the surgery failed for me. It will get better!. My biggest struggles now are the weight stalls and my hair falling out.. they say this to shall pass. :)

Hope this helps a little

Best wishes

Deanna

Welcome Paige - congratulations on your surgery and your decision to take control of your life. I'm a firm believer that a lot of success stories are more about your overall outlook on life and your attitude. I am and always have been a very positive person and that's what I contribute my success to. Every morning when I look in the mirror I congratulate myself for doing the right thing yesterday, I tell myself it wasn't so awful and remind myself I can do it again today. Yesterday morning I had a little head conversation with myself, it was my sons high school graduation and I knew it was going to be an emotional day for me filled with family, friends, food and alcohol. The family and food wasn't the problem, it was going to be the last two items which were my go to things when my emotions were running high. I told myself that if I wanted to see him graduate college I needed to keep to the plan and not give in. I reminded myself that if the emotions got to me I needed to talk with family and friends instead of reaching for a chip, cocktail or sweet. I made sure that I had my water/crystal light cup in my hand at all times so I remembered to get my fluids in. And you know what? Because of all the activity and my "pre-game" talk with myself, I actually woke up today, stepped on the scale and discovered I LOST 2 lbs. So my talk this morning with myself was a big "congrats" and a pat on the back. I'm going to relax today, no exercise (except some yard work) and give myself a break as a reward for my success. If you keep your head straight you'll do fine. Keep busy, talk to your support group/friends/family if you need to and follow your plan you'll do great. Don't ever allow for exceptions because if you do it once, your brain will tell you it's okay to do it again. Before you know it you'll be doing so good you won't want to fail or mess up. Best wishes for a great success and if you need more advise, check in.

Welcome Paige to a new chapter in your life.

You have taken the first step for a healthier better you.

Don't let anyone deter you on this journey.

Follow all of your surgeons and nutritionist guidelines and you'll do wonderful.

I am a firm believer in not going on the scale everyday. If you want to weigh yourself at home do it once a week wearing the same thing at the same time of day.

You take care and come here often for support and questions.

Edited by Chelly

Hi Jodie,

I'm Stephanie, i'm new to this awesome website wls community, So hi folks.

Congratulations on your wls i'm so happy for you and excited for you. What you said about losing your best friend (FOOD) resonated with me. I will keep that in my head.

I am almost 3 yrs post op, i was and am Extremely Blessed to have had my Gastric Bypass surgery on a Monday around 10 a.m . 8-22-2011. I went from 280 lbs. to 145 lbs. in less than 5 months due to my body rejecting the surgery. I am a living successful testimony of overcoming many severe complications after wls.

So now i'm on my path to losing 70 lbs. to reach 150-155 lbs. goal weight but be healthy inside out and muscular, defined, toned, 100 % total body stength.

Anyhoo, i recommend for anyone to read "EXCUSES BE GONE... HOW TO CHANGE LIFELONG SELF-DEFEATING THINKING AND HABITS" BY DR. WAYNE W. DYER , i'm currently reading, learning, studying and applying this book's phenomenal lessons. So i can change my relationship and thinking when it comes to food, also to change my self defeating habits of procrastination and laziness.

Good luck Jodie, i think you are doing awesome and are awesome for having been persistent and diligent to reach your surgery and begin as we all have a new life.

feel free to message me if you want a support buddy.

Everyone has said what I would have.

But I will tell you, when you get to goal, or even close to it, something happens to you. You'll have such a different outlook. You'll be craving different things, I promise. You will be fiercely protective of your new body and you won't let fried food ruin all your past efforts.

You are young and have so much life ahead of you.....don't let "weight" ever make you put life on hold.

The post-op diet can be pretty challenging. Over time it will get better. As you transition from liquids to puree to solids and as you increase the meal volume and the list of acceptable foods, things should improve. I reached my happy state at 6 months.

I am two weeks out and feel great the diet is hard but I just remind myself of the out come. I lose 2 pounds a day which I think is great. My breakdown was at day 8 , I was feeling so amazing I wanted to do things I knew I couldn't yet like go on our boat! But it passed and I am ready for my next one . Lol I have talked to tons of people about the Hair loss and found that making sure I get my Protein in and 2 Vitamins that I will minimize my hair loss. That's my only fear with this surgery. But don't let it get u down everything passes with time and u will lov the new you.