Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 28 - 31st sleevers?

I know what you mean! We have all decided to do this thing that is going to change our lives, make us healthy, and extend our lives, but surgery is scary! I am a big man not just overweight, but people feel safe around me and I can handle things without fear, with the exception of a bear attack or something like that. But, this thing we are doing puts fear into me because of the unknown. I have read hundreds of post with people saying even though it was hard, they would all do it again, with the exception of a small handful. Well let's all be the 100's! We can do this. We can suffer recovery together. I'm glad we have each other.

Happy and scared all at the same time :)

I am late jumping on this thread but I am being sleeved on May 30 in Mexico. Should arrive at 1:35pm on Thursday in San Diego.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention lol but why are so many people going to Mexico to have this done?

For me it comes down to money. My insurance does not cover weight loss surgery and I don't have $15,000. I can get the sleeve in Mexico for $5,000. Surgeons are qualified and facilities are clean.

I can definitely understand that! Welcome to the group :)

Me too! My insurance wouldn't even consider! I was going to do in the states but got a PM on FB from a friend stating she and some of her church members went to Mexico and are all doing great and half the price! I am going in two days all by myself. I have to admit being away from my kids will be the hardest part and praying that I make it back safely!!

Luckily my German insurance covers the surgery (after some major hoop jumping), but I know if I want/need plastics later I'll have to go abroad as well. Thailand has a good reputation and could be nice!

Welcome to the group dmolly, My Journey and Speeder!

I chose Dr Aceves in Mexico for a number of reasons.

A few friends had it done in Mexico so I started looking at why. One problem for me was all the crap people had to go through to get to surgery. Appointment after appointment and test after test - I don't have time for all that! Even still, I wasn't sure if insurance would cover it.

If I did do it in the US, my hospital stay would be much shorter - which I didn't like. The deaths from this surgery are typically from leaks not being caught fast enough in the first few days. I've learned that some surgeons are actually doing this as outpatient and home the same day (including Puget sound bariatrics which is the main practice near here) which I think is aweful. Since I'm going at this alone as a single mom, my safety was super important.

This surgery is just starting to be really popular in the US. Because of that, the US surgeons don't have as much experience. Dr Aceves has done over 1800 of JUST gastric sleeves, not counting bands, revisions and bypass. He teaches the docs in the US and around the world how to do what they do, and was president of Mexico bariatric association. I have yet to find a surgeon anywhere near me that has even half that many under his belt.

After lots of research I learned that not every sleeve is equal. Its not like removing a gall bladder where all of it is gone. Its an art and the results speak a lot about the quality of the sleeve. If positioned right and oversewn, the sleeve will be less prone to stretching. After seeing results from lots of surgeons where people get stalled or stuck around 150, so many more of Dr Aceves patients were in the 120-130s and his results are that patients lose on average 95% of their excess weight within a year! With typical results being around 80%, I knew there was a reason I was seeing better results from posts from Dr Aceves patients. I figured it couldn't be coincidence!

Oh, last thing, there are a ton of nurses that have reviewed their stay at this hospital and say it is the cleanest they have ever been in! I'm excited to have a nice quiet room to myself, I hear noise and room mates are an issue in US hospitals too. So super clean and quiet? Yes please!

Anyway so bottom line, it was worth it for me to find a loan and save up to get the surgery I wanted so I can get the results I've always thought were impossible! :)

Edited by lylabelle

Hi. Im sandi. Very excited. My surgery date is May 29th, New Jersey. I came down with a cold yesterday, I hope it will not postpone anything. Taking good care of myself before hand. No pre op liquids required by my doctor but I think I will anyway at least 3 days.

Good luck to everyone. :)

Edited by sandDuneHill

Hi Sandi! Welcome to our little group, there are currently 19 of us having surgery within 4 days. I hope your cold goes away quick, I've been worried I was coming down with one but it turned out to be allergies. If your doc doesn't require pre-op liquid you might want to enjoy food while you can, unless you are trying to lose as fast as possible obviously. You'll be a month on liquid and puree as it is and the nutrition from food might help your cold.

Just a few days left. I cant believe its this week finally.

Hi all,

I have my sleeve surgery on May 28th as well. I actually having a LAP BAND TO SLEEVE. I am soo nervous and i hope my doctor can do it all in one shot.

Hi. Im sandi. Very excited. My surgery date is May 29th, New Jersey. I came down with a cold yesterday, I hope it will not postpone anything. Taking good care of myself before hand. No pre op liquids required by my doctor but I think I will anyway at least 3 days. Good luck to everyone. :)

I'm only required a clear liquid the day before. But I think I'll do a full liquid starting Monday. Surgery on Thursday. I feel that would be a good challenge and kind of know what I can do.

I watched my grandson last night and when they got home he had 102 fever. He is still sick tonight. My surgery is Tuesday, I hope I don't get sick. I have been jumping threw hoops for this surgery, since last September. I do not want to wait one one day...LOL. I am so excited, but just now starting to get nervous. Cant wait for my NEW future!