Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Ladies! I'm new here but joined a bit ago. I got my band in April 2012. I initially did well and lost 40. I have maintained it so I'm happy. But from the start...I ate and drank whatever...even pop. Same amounts too. I didn't have problems but about 8 or 9 months ago...I was starting to have pain swallowing. Very much pain. No vomiting but pain. However now...the pain will stop me in my tracks...mid chew. Real issues swallowing...and now if I can't swallow then I can just vomit it up. Then I'm fine. Even during these episodes I can't drink Water to get food down. :( I'm fine with soft foods. My surgeon can't stand me and I'm still paying my bill so I'm afraid to call him. Do you think my band has slipped??? Help!!! Thank yous!!

You need to call your surgeon no matter what and why have you been playing around with this so long? Call your doctor asap.

I really just thought perhaps the band is now acting as it should so....that's why I didn't think much. But his nurse called to check up on me and I told her about my bill and asked if he would see me. She said she would find out but...never called me back so I took it as a no.

I think you need to be proactive, if the nurse doesn't call back, call her back and explain that you're having serious issues and need to be seen. If they are really nasty to you, go to the ER if you're having this much pain. Pain that will "stop you in your tracks" certainly can't be ignored.

Well I called just now...they are so crappy there. I already feel bad enough and I'm tired of getting scolded. They told me to call back Monday. This is why I hesitate going back. I can have a very short temper myself but it seems that money is the issue here in not being seen. Guess I will call back Monday.

post-129059-0-85100700-1400359156_thumb.png

It's not unusual for nurses or staff to not return calls. You need to be proactive about this and make amends with your surgeon. Your band could have slipped, eroded or you could have a dilated pouch or hernia? All are serious medical conditions and need immediate attention.

Your journey is anything but typical. We all take different paths but yours seems to be abnormal. Your band is not behaving as it should and for what it's worth, band's don't really behave, our bodies behave and react to the food we eat. And if you've been eating around the band or abusing your pouch, you really should see your doctor? Vomiting your food is not advisable and drinking to force stuck food is definitely a no-no.

tmf

Thank you all for the advice. I will call back Monday. Beyond my eating troubles...I feel fine. I have NEVER talked with others about this. After my surgery I lost my job at the hospital I worked at and where the bariatric center is. At first he said he wasn't going to do it then did but was pissed at me because his nurse was very very rude to me. I merely told him about her being rude and he basically went off on me. I'm just not trying to get shitty treatment because of nit being liked by them. Well...I'm venting...sorry. but I just hope it's the band and I ain't dying. Just can't stuff my face. Bleh. I shouldn't be doing that anyway....

And yep....I worked at the hospital so I know the attitudes....sadly. and these are the folks I worked with!!!! Gaaaaah!!

I also have talked with my normal doctor who is aware of this. She wanted me to try some meds before going back to the surgeon. The meds didn't work so....next phase is dealing with Mr. Surgeon.

@ Go to an ER, or even an UrgiCare Clinic if necessary.

Try to develop a thicker skin when dealing with the nurse and/or surgeon. What matters most, their opinion of you or your health and safety? Don't allow someone else's snotty attitude to endanger your health. So they don't like you. You don't like them! This isn't friendship, it's professional service, and as long as they will see you, insist on an appointment.

I understand. Crazy enough....I do have thick skin with them...i just don't like their attitudes and going toe to toe isn't something they want to do with me and vice versa. We've done it before and it's not pretty. LoL!!

I guess I just wondered if anyone else has had my issues as far as how it feels?? I just want to get through this weekend without worrying. I will deal with the surgeon but...if he refuses then no...I won't beg him to do his job. Just don't know if my file can be transferred to the other surgeon. I've seen him one time since my surgery 2 years ago. That may be an option too....get a file transferred.

"I read your post and checked out your profile, you left ALOT unsaid. But what you said in your first paragraph was enough to know you don't take this seriously.

You ate and drank anything you wanted? Same amounts too? REALLY????

if I WERE YOUR SURGEON I WOULD RUN FAR AWAY FROM YOU because you aren't doing the very things you should be doing. And then you turn around and blame everyone else for what goes wrong."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whoa there! Let's not be casting stones here. The lady's lost 40 lbs and kept it off so for all we know she's still on track? She's looking for advice and support, not condemnation. Many of us have ventured or fell off the wagon, I know I have and I've advised and supported others who also were struggling. Being banded isn't an easy lifestyle and even the most successful will tell you they've ventured off the path a time or two. So let's tone it down k?

Yes thank you so much!! I certainly won't judge anyone and don't expect that especially here. I actually am quite proud of myself and what I have lost so far! I have no problem in blaming myself and not doing what I was supposed to do and hope that others will read this and know that it's worth listening to the doctor and getting support. You said you do not know my story so please do not make it was something about me taking things seriously . I lost my job a week after the surgery I'm a single parent. I fell into a very deep depression and not having a job, and on top of that trying to pay for the surgery that I took two years debating on. I didn't work for 6 months, so yes I fell off the wagon and many people have over different situations. I will say this one time and one time only, unless you have traveled in someone shoes and no they're full story, if you don't have anything positive to say then don't say anything at all. I would never judge you condemn or make assumptions about anyone here especially when this is a support system. If I didn't care and if I didn't take it seriously I would not be here now! That said I do still control my eating I do still exercise, and I do know that I would have lost more weight, if I did not fall off the wagon. Losing a job in addition to the fact that the surgeon just could not stand me, was difficult enough itself. I'm not looking for approval for falling off the wagon but I do look for support especially since things have gotten worse. My whole family likes to eat that is what we do! And only the females in my family no of my situation my mother knows my dad does not. So the support that I have done is from my family and friends and I thank them for that. I am also very grateful for those who has been going to the same situation who can relate and give advice because I know that those people are the ones that have been through it and know what to do. I taking the advice and I called the doctor a sap

Please forgive me as I'm doing voice to text. Anyway I have taken the positive advice from others and I have called my doctor. Unfortunately there isn't much I can do over the weekend. But I will be calling him first thing in the morning as that is the best thing to do. I have just now confided in telling everyone my story, because up to this point only my mom and my sister has seen me get sick. It is very embarrassing do you have been very serious about this and still am but it is still embarrassing to fall off the wagon however I know I am NOT alone. I will say that I appreciate everybody's positive advice and it really has made me feel better and calm my nerves to know that perhaps I have not been alone in this journey. And don't my journey may not be exactly like someone else's journey, it is still my journey in my story to share and I hope that sincerely anyone else who chooses to read this, will not deviate from the plan that was given. I set goals for myself everyday I drink my Water I eat my fruits and vegetables I do my walking on my breaks and lunches, & I know that the wait will continue to come off slowly but surely as it has. I'm happy that I have not gained weight but instead lost 40 pounds. That is something that I wanted to achieve I want to continue losing more, & I know I have a lot of work to do . But I would never tell somebody that they didn't take something seriously especially when you come here for support!

Look on the site to see if you can find another surgeon in your area. You don't have to go back to people you don't like and have issue with. Just because he did the surgery you can look for another surgeon. See if you can find one and set up a consultation interview them see how they fit with you and if you and the staff mesh well and go from there. You need follow up care and support that is how the band works best.

Going someplace that makes you feel uncomfortable at best and threatened at worst is not a way to get care especially now when you are facing a potential problem.

Follow up on Monday with this group because your health really can't afford to wait. Then be pro-active and find another office for your long term follow up care.

Let us know how your doing after you see the doc.

Thank you!! I really appreciate your advice! I will keep people posted here too :)