Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise for disabled?

I thought I would put this out there and see if anyone has any ideas/suggestions and if we can generate some ideas, maybe we can help one another.

I'm 32 years old but I became disabled many years ago due to chronic pain, health issues, etc.… I have a lot of physical limitations and also constant severe pain to contend with. I had my sleeve done in September 2013. I've lost a good amount of weight but, I would like to lose more. Even though I have physical limitations, I wanted to see if anybody might have some ideas when it comes to exercise. I need to work on those "flabby areas" and I know that that's going to require lifting some weights. I would like to also strengthen my back – but I have had seven spinal surgeries. I also know that I need to work on my core but I also have nerve damage in my abdominal wall and have to be careful there as well. I know that's a lot of things that I can't do but I'd like to find some things that I can do. I'd like to work on the typical problem areas – my flabby arms, my legs and all-around exercise. I honestly haven't been able to really exercise since having surgery due to all of my medical situations but, I'd like to try to do whatever I can and I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas, and resources. I really want to make my goal weight and I know that I can only do that if I start becoming more active. I'm hoping my medications will begin to allow me to move around a bit more.

I downloaded a couple of applications – including MyFitnessPal… Most of them though are for keeping track of activity and not really suggesting activity.

Thanks for taking your time to read this and thanks in advance for any information you might have.

like to try to do whatever I can

@@natalie_christin

some of us (raising my hand :( ) don't exercise enough/or at all, and theres no good reason/explanation :mellow:

we might give various excuses/explanations

i'm too tired, i'm busy, the kids - or the ever popular - I woke up with a pimple!!! :lol:

good for you on looking into "special" types/ways to exercise :)

how about checking with your insurance to see if they would pay for a "specialized" trainer

talk to your ortho too

maybe go to your therepist and repeat exactly what you wrote

he might /probably will have suggestions

but............make sure you do talk to doc about what you would like/plan to do

don't just exercise without discussing with him/her first :)

there are videos "out there" called something like "CHAIR EXERCISES"

they do work with muscles, weights :)

emphasizing/using your whole body during exercise :)

you will be sitting in a chair all the time, or will be supported by the chair at times if you can stand a bit

i think this would/could be great for you :)

hope your meds kick in, and allow alittle more mobility

don't know what you've lost, or how much more et al (no ticker et al )

you are doing great

i see the determination and spunk in your pretty eyes B)

take care

keep up the good job

congrats on your weight loss success, today and in the future :)

good luck

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Well my best suggestion is gentle yoga. It is designed for people with disabilities. I live in Dallas Texas and they have a yoga studio that will allow you to go to classes free for gentle yoga. The MS society pays for the classes.

You do most of the movement from a chair and anything you can't do they will modify for you.

Finally there is always Water aerobics. It will increase you strength and stamina. At this point I would hold off on weights until you talk to a doctor. Last thing you want to do is more damage.

Good luck

@@natalie_christin some of us (raising my hand :( ) don't exercise enough/or at all, and theres no good reason/explanation :mellow: we might give various excuses/explanations i'm too tired, i'm busy, the kids - or the ever popular - I woke up with a pimple!!! :lol: good for you on looking into "special" types/ways to exercise :) how about checking with your insurance to see if they would pay for a "specialized" trainer talk to your ortho too maybe go to your therepist and repeat exactly what you wrote he might /probably will have suggestions but............make sure you do talk to doc about what you would like/plan to do don't just exercise without discussing with him/her first :) there are videos "out there" called something like "CHAIR EXERCISES" they do work with muscles, weights :) emphasizing/using your whole body during exercise :) you will be sitting in a chair all the time, or will be supported by the chair at times if you can stand a bit i think this would/could be great for you :) hope your meds kick in, and allow alittle more mobility don't know what you've lost, or how much more et al (no ticker et al ) you are doing great i see the determination and spunk in your pretty eyes B) take care keep up the good job congrats on your weight loss success, today and in the future :) good luck kathy

Kathy,

Thank you so very much for your uplifting message. You're right, I'm doing the best that I can with the situation I've been given. I have multiple disabilities but I also have difficulty in getting the proper treatment that I need in order to get better. For example, physical therapy is something I should be doing but at $40 a session times three times a week, it is definitely something I cannot afford. I know I have to be careful but, I also have to find a workaround and find that path. Thank you for the suggestions on the chair exercises. I will definitely look into those. On a side note, I do have a gym membership – my insurance company pays for it. But unfortunately, the classes they offer are not geared to individuals that are in my circumstance.

Again, I just really wanted you to know how much I appreciated your input.

Well my best suggestion is gentle yoga. It is designed for people with disabilities. I live in Dallas Texas and they have a yoga studio that will allow you to go to classes free for gentle yoga. The MS society pays for the classes. You do most of the movement from a chair and anything you can't do they will modify for you. Finally there is always Water aerobics. It will increase you strength and stamina. At this point I would hold off on weights until you talk to a doctor. Last thing you want to do is more damage. Good luck

I would love a form of gentle yoga. I don't know any organizations that do's death like that here in San Antonio. The pool is definitely an option but the only downside is, I cannot go in the pool a while it's light out – the chemo meds that I'm on really affect me badly when I interacted the sun whatsoever. So, going the pool route is important to me– I just have to work around it by avoiding the sun at all costs. I never thought that I would experience the side effects that the medication worn dad but LOL… I learned my lesson the hard way.

Thank you so much again for your input

Just go to the MS society website and they will give you locations in the San Antonio area. From what I can see there are several to choose from.

Hey there!

I too would suggest Yoga. I have a lot of back issues and nerve damage issues. I'll share advice I was given and have read on this forum. Any extra movement you can do is a step in the right direction.

Also. Per my PT I'm starting to use resistance bands and have an exercise ball. Google or YouTube are great for finding anything from beginners to advanced exercises.

Do what you can, when you can.

Best wishes!

natalie_christin,

I see you are in San Antonio. I was fortunate that after my surgery, my surgeons office partnered with HealthLink. I got a 3 month membership at a good rate. I went to the one off of 281 and Bitters. They offer a personal trainer that IS NOT some young twenty-something that doesn't have a clue about health problems. I went there for few months because I wanted a personalized program for someone like me that has severe joint problems.

I am very blessed in that I can work out in a pool and have a membership to a gym with an excellent pool.

I went to HealthLink because they gave me a personalized program where I could work out on machines to build strength without any impact to my joints. I found the program they designed for me to be very effective.

I hope you can afford to go there--they helped me and I hope they will be able to help you too.

Kathleen

My immediate thought was "chair exercises" too. There also videos for walking in place. Sounds silly, I guess, but it works! I also find "water walking" or swimming to be gentle and helpful. Hope you can find something that seems appealing!

Even if you cannot afford to go to or join a gym, if you are home and you have the time go to YouTube and do a random search you will find several video's for yoga and other low impact work out for MS and other disabilities.

You can do them in the comfort and privacy of your own home with minimal assistance. Here was a link I found doing a quick search.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPr7lfgFZGA

Natalie...I had both hips replaced and have chronic back pain along with arthritic knees. I take Water exercise classes at the Y. It's the best thing out there for folks who can't exercise in the traditional way. There is a disabled gentleman who is in a wheelchair that attends the classes. He told me he gets a price break from the Y because of his disability.

If you have a Y near you, might I suggest you check that possibility out?

Swimming is one of the best exercises to do with physical limitations. I have arthritis and fibromyalgia and I swim almost every day. The only limitations one has is when they think they can't do anything. I am lucky enough to live in Florida and own a pool but I am sure a ymca or some place in your area would have a pool. There really is no excuse for not getting physically active. There are many ways you can exercise without doing a lot of movement. Chair aerobics, chair dancing, yoga, Pilates I have a tape from back care and it works. You have to stop making excuses and just do it. Yes it hurts in he beginning but your muscles will get used to it.

@@natalie_christin some of us (raising my hand :( ) don't exercise enough/or at all, and theres no good reason/explanation :mellow: we might give various excuses/explanations i'm too tired, i'm busy, the kids - or the ever popular - I woke up with a pimple!!! :lol: good for you on looking into "special" types/ways to exercise :) how about checking with your insurance to see if they would pay for a "specialized" trainer talk to your ortho too maybe go to your therepist and repeat exactly what you wrote he might /probably will have suggestions but............make sure you do talk to doc about what you would like/plan to do don't just exercise without discussing with him/her first :) there are videos "out there" called something like "CHAIR EXERCISES" they do work with muscles, weights :) emphasizing/using your whole body during exercise :) you will be sitting in a chair all the time, or will be supported by the chair at times if you can stand a bit i think this would/could be great for you :) hope your meds kick in, and allow alittle more mobility don't know what you've lost, or how much more et al (no ticker et al ) you are doing great i see the determination and spunk in your pretty eyes B) take care keep up the good job congrats on your weight loss success, today and in the future :) good luck kathy

I appreciate your input. I have been trying to look into some chair exercises. The only problem that I find is I try to do something and ended up paying for it many days at a time. I know I have difficulty but I hope overcome but i'm hoping to get into the routine and maybe it be easier on my body.

I technically have a gym membership – my health insurance company actually pays for it. They are also very kind and "gifted me" soon personal training sessions. That unfortunately, I haven't been able to move around too much if at all and I really want to make the sessions worthwhile and get as much out of them as I can. Money is a definite factor for me. I'm on a very strict and limited income.

I do enjoy getting in the pool but I need one that is handicap accessible. They have one at the gym but unfortunately it's outdoors and not covered and it's the rheumatoid medication I'm on are also Chemo meds and I learned the hard way – when it says not to be out in the sun, I can't be out the sun… I always thought that the side effects wouldn't bother me but I paid for it big time. I tried going to the pool at night on occasion, but the pool staff doesn't enforce the rules when it comes to kids swimming/diving/do what they're supposed to do… And then I also encounter people in the pool Makian out or being inappropriate public place like that… LOL – so I haven't been back. I was really hoping to go even if it's just for a little while. The hot tub helps when i'm hurting too. Hopefully I can get over this hump and try to start getting back into it.

Well my best suggestion is gentle yoga. It is designed for people with disabilities. I live in Dallas Texas and they have a yoga studio that will allow you to go to classes free for gentle yoga. The MS society pays for the classes. You do most of the movement from a chair and anything you can't do they will modify for you. Finally there is always Water aerobics. It will increase you strength and stamina. At this point I would hold off on weights until you talk to a doctor. Last thing you want to do is more damage. Good luck

I agree, I definitely have to be careful. I used to do yoga – before I got sick and I really miss it. I tried to take a yoga class at the gym but, it was way beyond anything I could do. I did buy a DVD specifically for people with disabilities but it seems to have disappeared. I've been trying to look for it again. I really appreciate your input. I also will check out the info you gave me. I don't know if they have that type of program down here in San Antonio.