Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Post. Need Change. So Many Questions.

Hello community!!!

Wow, I have been reading on here for a little while. I am happy to have found a huge community like this. First of all, I would like to address the elephant in the room, my weight. Ever since I can remember I have always been a large fellow. I would diet at times and work out with minimal success, but only to gain it all back and then some. I just turned 35 and seriously think my life is over halfway gone. I am tipping the scales at around 320 right now. I have gained about 30lbs just this winter. OMG!!! I am married have a 3 year old girl and we just found out that we are expecting another in November!!! :) I owe it to my family to be there for them. As I have aged I can now feel the effects of prolonged obesity starting to effect my everyday lifestyle. everyday things are starting to hurt more and I always feel lethargic. Denial has been my number one killer. I have not been to a doctor in years, because I know what they will tell me, I am scared of the truth. Breaking a button on my uniform yesterday sent me off the wall. I can't go on like this. What I need to know is where do I start? I think this community will help me get to where I need to go. I need to call my insurance and find a Dr. (I see everyone use the word PCP is that Private Care Physician?). Which form of surgery might be right for me? I plan on spending hours here everyday reading and gathering as much knowledge as I can. After surgery how long do people typically miss work?

Just want to get the ball rolling (and the pounds dropping). I have searched my insurance and it looks like they actually cover the costs for this!!! If I would have known I would have looked in to this years ago. Research research research.....

More later. Thanks!!!

Welcome!

I don't think there is a perfect weight loss surgery.. they each have their pros and cons. My advice is to seek out the best reputation surgeons in your area and go to some info sessions and perhaps even initial consults. What I found is that surgeons are biased just like patients are! Initial surgeon I went to told me to not even consider the gastric sleeve so I didn't even get educated on it. He felt very strongly I should get gastric bypass. I wound up going to a different surgeon and have been very successful with the sleeve. I would have probably been great with the bypass too - like I said, they all have their plusses and minuses.

I will share my personal experience with the lapband though - I don't think it is well suited for people who have alot of weight to lose/who are more advanced in their obesity. I had the band for 10 years and it just didn't work very well for me - I don't want this to turn into a band bashing discussion that is not my intent AT ALL. For someone who is significantly overweight, you have a better chance of getting to and maintaining goal weight with the other procedures. I have lost about 160# since being sleeved.

Rovobay - Firstly, congratulations on the new baby and the 3 yr old. Now, congratulations to you - yes you, the 320 elephant in the room (yours words not mine) on finally deciding to take the bull by the horn and do something about your weight. PCP - Primary Care Physician - this is your plain old doctor, the one you would go to for a cold etc. He can recommend one or two WLS surgeons in your area that are covered by your insurance. DON't Get Discouraged..this is a very long process. It took me 3-4 months to do all the pre-op stuff and to get insurance approval. Just roll with it..this is for your own good. What type of WLS do you want to have? Well, that is a personal decision and one that should be between you, your wife and your surgeon. We are all different and our medical needs are too. After you have researched the different types, make up your mind and then move forward.

I am 62 yrs old. I had my surgery almost 3 years ago (lapband w/plication). My band had to be removed 3 weeks ago due to an emergency and slippage. But I am 124 pounds lighter than the day I got banded and all my medical issues are GONE. I would do this again in a heart beat. Hang in there Rovo - we have all been in your shoes. Ask questions and weigh each option. In the end, you want to loose the weight and you want to be there for your family. They need you - a healthy you and they weight you are now - is not a healthy you.

Good luck and best wishes for success...keep us posted. We will be here that's for sure.

Melinda in Florida

Welcome to the group!!! You came to an awesome place. It helped me through the first couple of months after surgery. There is only one thing I can do to help you figure out which surgery is best for you... GET ALL THE INFORMATION YOU CAN. Compare, weigh pros and cons. I researched for years and settled on the sleeve. It seemed to be the perfect fit. Just like @@CowgirlJane said, each surgeon has their "favorite" surgery, so might even help to get 2 different consults. "It's not going to be easy, but nothing worth having usually is." (Scrubs geek lol) And if you have any specific questions, no one on here minds getting messaged... At least not in my time on here. Feel free to ask everyone questions. Good luck on your journey :)

Welcome. Glad you're here.

When I began researching WLS (about 10 years ago), I called the large hospitals in my area with bariatric programs. They had evening seminars. I went to three of them and was able to learn about the different types of WLS and then schedule appts. with surgeons for consults.

Edited by Postop

So happy with the replies thus far. I knew the support would be there. this is going to be a great forum to use throughout my journey.

Healthiest adult weight I ever was at was 214lbs when I was about 22. I signed up for the Peace Corps and served for 3 years. dropped a lot of weight when I went into country, because the only life style was a healthy one. walked everywhere, fresh fruits and veg, and no processed foods for miles and miles. but that is not the world I live in. Granted I will still overweight but I loved the feeling of energy I had, and when I saw myself in the mirror after about 9 months with out looking in one (yes I lived in a very rural area with no modern luxuries) I was amazed. I want that back.

The only other time I much luck with weight loss was when I was 31 serving overseas in England, where I dropped 45lbs. since then all has come back plus more.

I think I am an emotional eater (and I like the bourbon!!!) and this will be an issue which I need to look into. I feel that I should be able to gain the support of my wife, and I think I may not tell the rest of my family until after I have my surgery (if I decide to do so). I am absolutely ecstatic about the insurance coverage. I had no idea that these were ever covered. I can't wait to discuss with my insurance provider (BCBS Federal). Oh so much to do, so much to read....

^_^

Congratulations on your decision to take control of your life and health! :)

As a fellow Oregonian, I can tell you that there are several good surgeons/hospitals in the Portland area. Salem Hospital's Bariatric Surgery Center also has a great program and the staff are awesome. This is who I chose. Salem Hospital and their bariatric surgery center are also recognized as national centers of excellence.

If you know others who have had WLS, talk to them to get their recommendations. Do your research and attend a few informational seminars (this is pretty much how you have to start the process with any bariatric surgery program). You'll get a feel for which surgeon/program will be the best fit for you. The seminar will also give you a more clear picture of each type of surgery.

Depending on your insurance, it can be a lengthy process with many, many hoops to jump through or it can be a very simple and quick process. Expect to go through several pre-op procedures, labs and clinic appointments (surgeon, dietician, psychologist, etc.) either way, though.

You came to the right place for support and advice. The members here are wonderful and very helpful. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress! :)

welcome! I am an emotional eater too. One book that has helped me lot is "Emotional First Aid..." It goes over setting up your environment for success, what we tell ourselves when we're in the grocery store that leads to taking home something we'd have trouble staying away from. My personal favorite is, "My daughter would luuuuv this chocolate!" NOT.

I agree with the earlier posts, find a hospital that has a bariatric program, preferably a Center for Excellence, and go to their informational seminars.

So glad you are doing something about your health. Bariatric surgery can help turn the tide towards a healthier life. Best wishes!

Hi there, so happy for you to be showing up for yourself and your family in this way! I have no advice except to research like crazy, let things resonate and be patient to with the process, really. And since you're due in November this will all work out perfectly timing-wise -- get ready to rock and roll! I chose the band because this is right for me. You will find out what's best for you and do it. Best wishes -- so glad you're here on the forum!

@@Rovobay

We share(d) a LOT in common! I too was 324 pounds pre surgery. I was 39 years old. Had been fat most of my life. Had successfully lost weight on Atkins diet, going from 310 down to 225....just to gain it all back and then some... Because I ate too much and didn't do much of anything in the form of exercise/physical activity. And I really hadn't come to the point of "Wake Up!"...this is gonna kill me if I don't do something different. Mother with diabetes, father ( not obese at all ) died at 70 of a heart attack....sisters both with obesity related issues....you get the picture.

I decided enough was enough in January of 2009, spoke with my PCP (Primary care physician) and HE was the one who suggested Weightloss surgery, specifically, LAPBAND for me. He suggested a WLS surgeon in my area and I went to a seminar in Feb of 2009, then met with the surgeon's office staff and surgeon. At the time, I believe my options were only RNY or Lapband at his practice. I listened to the options and discussed with him my eating habits, and WE decided Lapband would probably be a good choice for me.

I got banded in Sept 2009, and feel the band has been almost exactly as promised for me. By that, I mean after it gets properly adjusted for the individual, it does help me eat less! I used to eat TWO big plates of food at a time, at least....then be hungry and ready to eat again in a couple of hours.

I used to be winded and out of breath climbing a single flight of stairs. Now, after losing 130+ pounds, I can do anything I desire. 100 mile bike rides, Half marathons, you name it. It really is a new lease on life!

So for those who say you CAN'T lose a LOT of weight with lapband, I disagree...not true in my experience. And there are PLENTY of folks who've lost as much or MUCH more than I have. But I personally know of people who've had the band and are bigger 5 years post op, than they were prior to surgery.

Nothing is perfect for everyone. I often attend WLS surgery support group meetings where we have band, sleeve, RnY patients, and even some revision patients. Every surgery has its success stories, and those who haven't quite met their expectations....for whatever reason.

The one thing I always leave those meetings thinking about, when I hear patients who've stopped losing, and many start regaining weight, is at least mine is adjustable..... Just something to think about.

Best wishes on your decision, whatever road you choose.

Edited by catfish87

Welcome to an amazing place with some truly amazing people.

I've had such support here and have even met several of these great people in person and have now forged some new friendships. There is nothing like a place to come where everyone knows your name ….and understands your weight loss surgery and the journey you are on.

I went to my primary care physician (PCP) and told him I had enough of being overweight (which has been all of my life)…and being the biggest I ever was at 280 pounds I told him I was thinking of weight loss surgery…specifically lap band. For me, I didn't want my stomach removed or anything re-routed. My sister has had gastric bypass and I saw her recovery and the struggles she had with anemia and Vitamin deficiencies and now I see her putting the weight back on. I know every WLS is different, with successes and failures…but those were my reasons for lap band. My PCP gave me the name of a surgeon and there was no looking back from there!

I went to a seminar where the doctor explained all of the surgeries and then had my consult appt. At that time, he though I would be a good candidate for lap band and he was also performing an additional procedure as part of research study called plication (which is just like the sleeve but they sew the stomach to look like a banana without actually removing anything)….So I have lap band with plication.

I was and still am an emotional eater but in such a different way now. I eat all foods…I do not feel deprived or on a diet. There are some foods that make me feel uncomfortable like some Pasta and triscuits, so I choose to stay away from them…..I no longer am dieting and for the first time in my life I no longer let food control my life.

Am I perfect…NO…do I always make the best food choices…NO…..do I do the best I can each day…YES. I have lost 92 pounds and feel (and some say look) like a new person. I have more energy and am able to finally keep up with my 4 and 7 year old. I have energy that some days I don't really know what to do with.

It was the best decision I've ever made.

My advice is to research ALL weight loss surgeries….speak to your doctor…they are the best ones to tell you which surgery would be the best for you….be open minded and to research all that you can!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Just got full support from my loving wife. I had to tell her that I have been in denial to myself and my loved ones about the day to day struggles with being large. things that were easy just a year ago are starting to be harder and painful. I need to get moving. Hope to talk to my insurance tomorrow. cost is the true deal breaker for me, but I am going to take it one step at a time. well I have chores to do. Hope to find more time for reading here later tonight and for the many weeks to come.

thanks again for all the kind words and wisdom all of you have provided in such a short amount of time.

many more stories and questions to come. Thanks!!!

How did I get started? After speaking with my primary physician, I identified a bariatric hospital that was in-network with my insurance and attended an informational seminar. During the seminar, they identified the types of weight loss surgery, the risks and benefits for each type of surgery. They evaluated me to determine if I was a candidate for the program. They discussed insurance coverage and the process for gaining approval (some insurances require a 6 month medically monitored exercise and diet program in order to qualify). Afterwards, if I was interested in going forward, they arranged a consult with the surgeon. In part this was to down select the type of surgery. Sometimes medical conditions can limit the number of options available. For example a person with major acid reflux problems and GERD might be better off having gastric bypass (roux-en-y) instead of other approaches. This approach that follows will vary significantly between different hospitals/insurances/doctors. In my case, this was the steps that followed the information seminar:

* physiatric exam

* initial insurance denial

* 6 month program of medically monitored weight loss program

* began attending support group meetings

* insurance approval

* pre-op testing

* 2nd round of pre-op testing (for specific medical issues)

* surgery and post-op classes

* pre-op diet in preparation of surgery

* surgery

Remember I said I haven't been to the doctors in years? well I hadn't been since July 7 2009 THAT IS ALMOST 5 YEARS. What have I been doing to myself? my body is my temple right? need to start acting like it. couldn't even remember my docs name. I had 2 at this clinic near my old house. they are both dead and the clinic is closed. I wanted to find a dr. that is closer to my house anyway. :( got to get a hold of my insurance later today and have them help me find a dr.

I found that http://www.legacyhealth.org/health-services-and-information/health-services/for-adults-a-z/weight-and-diabetes-institute.aspx is approved center for my insurance. I also see they have a Weight Loss Surgery Information Session in June which I should look into.

@@James Marusek Hey, I found your story you posted yesterday on this forum and just finished reading it. Thanks for your story, very nice write up. it offered me a lot of foresight into what can be expected.