Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my dilated pouch story, and why I still love my band regardless

I've been banded for almost four years now and have always been very happy with my band. I had never been able to lose weight on diets, but with the band the weight came off quite easily. Everything seemed to be going so well, after about the first two years I almost sort of *forgot* about the band on a day to day basis.

HOWEVER, I recently realized that it is important not to become complacent about the band!

I've been at the same level of restriction for a few years now. Just a few days ago, while having lunch, I noticed that I had suddenly lost ALL my restriction, and it scared me because I knew that it had to be some kind of band problem with such a sudden onset. While I was waiting to get in to see my surgeon, I had time to really analyze my symptoms and noticed that I also had a vague "something's off" feeling from my stomach area - little tweaks of pain in my chest and referred pain to my back between my shoulder blades (very subtle, and if it weren't for losing my restriction I probably would have just ignored the pain).

Yesterday, I finally had an upper GI test done, and it turns out that I have a dilated pouch. Believe it or not, I was actually HAPPY to hear that news, because I was relieved that it was a problem that can be corrected without surgery.

My surgeon simply took all my fill out for two weeks to help my pouch shrink back down to proper size. I'm trying to give my band/stomach a break by trying to stay on liquids and soft food for that time period (plus I find it hard to eat enough liquids to pack on weight than I would if I were on solids, which is obviously a big concern while my band is empty!).

At the end of these two weeks I will hopefully be able to get a fill again.

This experience definitely made me realize that I had relaxed too much as the years went by and wasn't paying enough attention to the band!

For example, I had allowed myself to fall into the habit of drinking Water with meals. I knew I wasn't supposed to do that, but I figured it was harmless because 1) I was satisfied with my weight loss and 2) it wasn't causing me any pain or blockages. Now I realize that, even though I couldn't feel it happening, it was probably stretching my pouch out when I put that Water into my pouch on top of the food I was eating. I won't be making that mistake anymore!

Looking back now, I suspect that the pouch has been dilated for quite a while and I just never realized it because the symptoms were not bad enough to get my attention: a little bit of burping and reflux.

For a long time since I've had the band, I've had a problem with excessive burping and gas noises in my stomach (which was kind of embarrassing when I'd be in a quiet moment with other people and my stomach would start rumbling away, as you can imagine!).

I had read that a lot of bandsters have more gas as post-ops than they used to, so I just figured the burping was a quirk of my band that I would have to live with. However, NOW that I've had my fill taken out, my stomach's nearly-constant rumbling has all but stopped, so I think all that burping was just from air getting caught up in that overly large pouch. Maybe this means that once my pouch shrinks back to normal size I'll

be free of that lovely side effect forever. :)

I've known all along that acid reflux can be a sign of an overly tight band, but I never had any *other* signs of excessive band tightness (apparently thanks to that big pouch), so I figured that my bouts of night-time acid reflux were another little quirk I just had to deal with. I found that I could pretty much avoid the reflux as long as I didn't go to bed too soon after having eaten and made sure my head was propped up a bit on pillows. However, last night with an empty band, I slept with my head flat and had no reflux at all, so again I think my large pouch must have been to blame, allowing an abnormal amount of acid to pool up against my esopaghus sphincter when I was laying down.

So, in a way, I'm glad that I found out I have a dilated pouch since it gives me hope that maybe once my pouch is back to the size it should be I will get rid of those annoying little "quirks" that I used to think I just had to live with.

My main point is this: I would encourage everyone out there to stay vigilant through the years. Even if you're not having pain, and even if you lose all the weight you want to lose, pay attention to any little signs that something weird might be going on!

With all that being said, I'm still totally happy to have the band now that I'm approaching my fourth anniversary with it. If you're a new bandster who finds it scary to read about complications, let me reassure you that stories like mine don't mean that all old-timers run into trouble.

It's just that, after a few years with the band, it becomes a normal part of life and it seems kind of boring to keep talking about it *unless* something weird goes wrong, so most old-timers don't bother to come to sites like this to post "Yup, everything is still going just fine!" after a while.

I still feel the lap-band complications are not that bad compared to how bad things can get with a gastric bypass operation. One thing I found comforting

when I first realized something was wrong with my band but didn't know what was going on was that, no matter what was wrong with my band, I knew it wasn't something that truly posed a danger to my life or health.

I was definitely scared that it might turn out to be an erosion and I might have to lose my band. I know if I went back to a normal stomach, I would pack on weight again. Now, more than ever, from seeing how my urge to eat excessively has come back in full force since I lost my restriction, I understand that morbid obesity is not just a personality flaw or a lack of control, but a disease that needs to be treated by surgery.

However, even if I had to lose my band, I would seek out a surgeon to do the Sleeve Gastrectomy operation, rather than getting a bypass.

The sleeve gastrectomy seems to be becoming more popular nowadays.

Back when I was looking into weight loss surgery (which was only about five years ago, remember), nobody was even talking about the Sleeve gastrectomy as an option. My choice was basically between the lap-band or one of the drastic, risky bypass procedures (the RNY or the Duodenal Switch).

Back when I first started looking at weight loss surgery, I was rapidly soaring towards 400 pounds, and I knew I had to do SOMETHING to put an end to the madness. If the lap-band hadn't been around at that time, I probably would have resorted to a bypass operation out of desperation back then. However, I'm only in my early 20s, so I would not have been very happy about having to condemn myself to live out the rest of my life (hopefully 50+ years!) with constant malabsorption of nutrients and Vitamins. I don't think that's a healthy way to live in the long-term even though in some cases it may be necessary as a last resort for someone whose obesity will kill them soon.

So, even *if* I had to lose my band at this point or somewhere down the road, I'd be grateful for these years of service it provided me with, because it saved me from having to get a bypass operation back then when the bypass was pretty much the only option, and now we seem to have other promising options like the Sleeve gastrectomy that don't require a drastic malabsorption component like the bypass does.

It's amazing how much the weight loss surgeries have changed in just these past 5 or 10 years. In another five or ten years, who knows how many other major changes might happen in the field? So, for that reason, I definitely am glad to have an option that is effective, but also relatively "gentle" and easily reversible, even though the trade-off is that we occasionally have to worry about issues like slippage/erosion.

All the best to everyone out there with wherever your band journey takes you!

My main point is this: I would encourage everyone out there to stay vigilant through the years. Even if you're not having pain, and even if you lose all the weight you want to lose, pay attention to any little signs that something weird might be going on!

Understood. Thanks for the advice and the story. I will sincerely take it to heart.

LD

I have to say thank you from the bottom of my heart. I've been totally afraid of pouch dilation. I always thought that if you had a dilation for awhile you would have to have it removed. I don't ever want to lose my band. Thanks again for clearing this up. I'm glad to see a "old timer" post. Your right, I'm sure about after the years go by you forget about us newbies. That's why I have to say thanks from all us newbies, and please don't forget us. Keep us informed on your progress. Best of days to you. Kaelin's G-Ma

Oh dear...this sounds a lot like me. I've been drinking with my meals and have not had a lot of good restriction...come to find out I have an over streched pouch, a slight slip, and possibly gall bladder problem. Let me know the outcome of your issue.

This is extremely timely information, given that I've just hit my goal weight and whilst I'd still like to see a few more kg's come off, I'm really not going to be actively trying to lose anymore.

I have been thinking about this very thing. I feel SO blessed that I've gotten to my goal without having to have a tight band, and only ever having PB'd once. My fills have been teeny tiny and very gradual. I've never been sick with a stomach bug and vomited. All these things I think go in my favour to keeping my band healthy.

But - as I was telling Mum on the phone when she asked what the plan of action was from here - this is not the time to forget I have a band. I have to keep on eating the same way, in small quantities as I have been doing for the past 16 months, nothing changes. I dont need to get any tighter, but I still have to respect my band. I want it there for life.

Not overpacking your pouch is NOT about not gaining weight, its about respecting your band. We were talking about this in another thread when I said I can eat 3/4 of a sandwich, which quite naturally rings alarm bells for people. But its really only due to the fact that I am not tight at all, not that my pouch is stretched. But I must remain vigilant so that this does not happen. I'd hate to have esophageal problems or similar down the track.

thanks do much for that info. i just found out that i have a little dilitation on one side.

Understood. Thanks for the advice and the story. I will sincerely take it to heart.

LD

I love your progession pictures. . . they are encouraging. Hi, I'm at the beginning point on my journey. . . i go for my seminar on Sept 19th, it's taken me 1 1/2 years to get my hubbie convinced about this thing. Either he likes me fat (which I doubt) or he fears the out come. . . don't know. . . good luck to you sweetheart with your journey and i'll let everyone know when i do the deed! hehehe . . . :thumbup:

Well, some years later, still at my goal weight, I can relate to this.

It is so hard to remain vigilant. From time to time, I notice little symptoms, and I realise I'm overeating slightly but constantly and abusing my band. The drinking/eating thing particularly. I know when I've overeaten at night becuase although I dont have night time reflux, I'm simply not "comfortable" lying flat and cant go to sleep.

I've been very strict with myself the last few weeks and decreased portion sizes again. I dont need to decrease calories but I need to be much more careful of eating too much at a time. Not too much for my body and its energy needs, but too much for my banded stomach.

Thanks for the reminder. I've had my band 4 years with no problems and I'd like to keep it that way.

I'll swear blind 99% of band problems are user error - but that user error can be so very subtle that you dont even realise you're doing it.

Thanks for sharing your story Quakergirl and a very useful reminder to all of us not to neglect our bands and get sloppy in our eating and drinking habits.

I hope the total defill shrinks your pouch back, please do let us know how you get on when you go back.

Best wishes.

Sue

omg - THIS IS ME!

I HAVE NO PAIN AT ALL - IALWAYS HAVE PLENTY TO DRINK WITH EACH MEAL WHICH I THOUGHT WAS OKAY AS I AM LOSING (VERY VERY VERY SLOWLY) BUT LOOSING AND THEN - WHAM LAST WEEK RESATICTION WAS JUST GONE. ICAN EAT A WHOLE SANDWHICH 2 SLICES THICK WHOLEMEAL bread AND EGG mayo (USED TO JUST SCOOP OUT THE MIDDLE.

MY QUESTION IS THIS:

IF I GO ONTO liquids FOR 3 OR 4 DAYS DO YOU THINK IT MIGHT SORT ITSELF OUT? DO I NEED TO SEE THE SURGEON? IS IT DANGEROUS? I REALLY CAN'T AFFORD TO PAY FOR ANY INVESTIGATIONS AT THE MOMENT LET ALONE GET ANT TIME OFF OF WORK.

WILL IT HURT ME IF IT IS DIALATED TO LEAVE IT FOR A WHILE?

Do you know if you have to refill a little at a time or will they restore it to it's original capacity?