Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

St. Louis People

Another thing I forgot to mention:

While I was waiting for Chest X-ray Dr. minkin was there doing fills on people. I got to talk with several people who had the band and were glad that they had done it and a lot of the medical issues they had are no longer issues. It did not take them long to get a fill. He must have done 3 while I was waiting to get x-ray. He does all his fills under flur scope (sp).The also were very happy with Dr. Minkin with how he treated them and took care of issues they might have. We also meet a couple of other people who was having the test done. We even had a group meeting on how we will be changing are eating habits etc. So that was nice to see others are doing it also.

Chris

Pre Band

St. Louis

Update

Hi All:

I justed wanted to give you an update on things since it has been a while since I posted. Sorry for the delay.

Well we both went to see Dr.Minkin on Monday the 13. We went over the medical test that he required. We had figured that since we had not heard anything before the apt. we were fine. Thin he told us that they had allready since the request in for both of us back at the end of July. When he told us that I felt that this visit was a waste of time and money since he could have called on the phone. That being said, Iam glad that we did go because I was able to obtain the letters they had sent. So I called UHC to see if they had gotton the letters and they did not have anything in the system. So I faxed the letters to UHC and got a response back that not all the information that they were looking for in the letter or was submitted. However I do not know what was sent by mail/fax from there Minkin office. So I faxed the letter to his office and they can take it from there. They want five years and other information. I had to work very hard with my own doctor and had to go through my file myself to obtain all the information. I even had to write the letter. My wife is still having problems with here doctor but I feel we got them under control since we went to them on Monday before we say Dr. Minkin. Dr. Minkin did say they have up to 30 days to respond to the request and his exp. has been take that long. Were hoping for approval soon but not sure how long it will take etc. I did ask him that once approval is in how long do you have to get the surgery done. He was not able to answer that. Since we will not be doing the operations at the same time I have to schedule time off for both of us. I was thinking about work schedules, hoildays, etc. Then later in the day after reviewing the letter that he had sent I got to thinking about all the costs for both us and what we will have to pay out of pocket. We have maxed out the flex spending for this year that we might be better off to wait untill the new year. I really do not want to do that, I would rather start now but sometimes money holds you back.

I know this is long but I wanted to make sure that I covered everything so you all know what is going on with us. IF you have any questions you can e-mail me.

Thanks

Chris

Pre-Band

St. Louis

whoo.gif

user_online.gifreport.gif

I just talk with Dr. Minikin office and I have been approved for the lapband procedure. It only took about 20 days to get approval through United Health Care. They are now waiting on approval for my wife. So now will just have to figure out a good time when to do the surgery. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Thanks

Chris

Preband

St. Louis

I just wanted to let you know that my wife and I have been approved for the Lapband surgery. We received word from the doctors office that she has been approved. So we get the letter will set a date. We are looking at being in bandland in September or October. This will depend on the doctors schedule and work schedule. My wife will go one week and then I will go the next week. The doctor has said that we would be good for the new Inmed AP Advance Band. I will keep everyone update as to when will have surgery. I would also like to thank everyone for all their help and advice over the years.

Thanks

Chris

Approved for the Band

Dr. Minkin - Des Peres Hospital

St. Louis, Mo

250/

:clap2:

My wife's date is September 12, 2007 and mine is September 19, 2007. Both at 1:00 P.M. CDT.

Chris

Pre-Op

Dr. Minkin Des Peres Hospital

St. Louis, Mo

250/

I just wanted to let everyone know that my wife and I have started on our clear liquid diets for surgery. At this time were not sure who will go on Wednesday. She has come done with a sinus problem and they might put her off not sure. If that is the case then I will go this Wednesday and she would go the next week. I will keep everyone up to date as to how things are going. We are both very excited about are new healthey lifestyle. Thanks again for all the advice and help.

Chris

Pre Band

St. Louis

250/

Chris I think it's wonderful that the two of you are doing this together and will be a great support for each other. I'll be thinking of you both on the 12 & 19. I just know that all will go well.

...And don't forget to walk, walk, walk as soon as they let you get up!

I just wanted to let everyone know that things went well for my wife who had the band on 9/12/07. I have been busy and have not had a chance to post. I am also going to get the band on 9/19/07. We are not sure the date when her sister will get hers at this time. Here are the details of how things went.

Here surgery was moved back from 1 P.M. to 3 P.M. So we got to the hospitial at 1 and got check in. They took here back and she go dressed for surgery and they did blood work. Then they took us to the surgery waiting area. They did not allow us to go back into that area. ( I think the reason was are young daughter was with us and there was not enough room in the area for 3 people) they gave us here glasses and she went on into the pre-op area. I saw the doctor before surgery. They did not start surgey until 4 P.M. she was done by 5 P.M. the doctor came out and said it went well and that she was given the new AP regular which is about 10cc and has soem Fluid in it. She was in recovery until about 6:45 P.M.

Then she was moved to her room. Well to say the least that was crazy because it was also shift change and you can iamage how that was. We left about 7:30P.M. that night. Also she could not have nothing to drink or eat until after the barriam swallow test. (We found that out the next day). We new that the test was happing but not that she could not eat. So she had the test on Thursday morning and she passed it with flying colors. So we thought she could go ahead and start drinking and eating but it was another couple of hours before they did anything.(The reason is the nurses will not do anything untill they have a written signed report in the file). So she was complaning of nausea etc. so they kept giving her meds for it. She was able to get up and walk around etc. and she was able to start drinking and eating. We thought that she would be out of the Hosp. by say 3 P.M. but that was not to be the case. Here is another thing that we learned. The clock for the 24 hours does not start when you come in. It starts after surgery and when you get into the room. So they were not planning to let here go before 7 P.M. but no one told us that before hand. The doctor came in a couple of times and check on here and then came back around 5 P.M. and said that she could go. So by the time we got her dressed and all the paper work done it was right at 7 P.M. I brought here home and she is doing fine now.

As far as care at the hospitial was ok. It took a long time to get food etc. when they told us they had it on the floor.(The nurses were busy since the rooms were filled) I think that was part of the reason why she was having problems with nausea etc. Then another thing that was upsetting was how the nurse approached with having to give more meds for infections etc. and saying because you are still here. Well now as I look at it, if you would have brought the food right-a-way we might not have this problem.

So with that said now things will be easier for myself on Wednesday the 19th and for her here sister when she has it done. I did say that I will have a jug of Soup ready for when I can eat and not wait on them to bring it. I think that if would have had it there and ready for when the paper work was in place she might not of had as much nausa as she did. Just iamage what it is like to not eat for almost 30 hours and having legal drugs in your system. No wonder you have nausa.

Again thanks to everyone for all your advice, help and prayers. I will let you know how my surgery went.

Guest jilldj

Good to see someone in the same area, I live off 141 & 21. I am considering surgery & have looked into Dr. Wagner, but have not even attended a seminar to get things rolling...what was your experience like??

Things are going as well as can be so far since surgery. I went in on Wednesday about 11:00 A.M. and did all the pre-op paper work and blood work. I was taken to the surgery holding area about 12:15 and had more reviews and I kept a real postivie attitude. One of the questions was why are you doing this and I said that Iam doing this to make my life better for myself and the family. At about 1:30 P.M. I was taken into surgery and slide over on the table and they gave me some drugs and the next thing I know I was in recovery. About 2:30 P.M. About an hour later I was taken up to my room and then I was allowed to get up and take care of business. Then I was able to walk around. I know everybody is differant in how they handle pain etc. but I must admitthe only pain that I had an nothing work was the gas pains. That hurt most of the night but I ddi keep up walking etc. On Thursday went for the barrium swallow and got to see the band work and was able to start on liquids by 10 A.M. and was home by 4:00 P.M. on Thursday. I went to see the doctor on Friday because my incision (I have 6) the one by the belly button/now port was very red. He put me on some liquid antibotics. While there he said that it only took him 41 minutes to get the band on me. He said that there was a little fat but not much. The week before my wife had the band done. Since we were not sure if she had a cold or allergies we both did the lquid diet. The biggest mistake for me was going off of it and then restarting back again since Iam allways feeling hungery even though iam eating enough. Just something I will have to get used to over the next few weeks.Thanks again to everyone for all there help and advice.

Well the wife and I both had are first fills today. It took about 15 minutes for each of us. I got 1cc in my band and the wife got 2 1/2cc. I got to see most of the procedure on the screen The band looks good and is in the right place and the port is just above the belly button.

We sure can tell allready that the fill is working. We have both notice it takes longer to eat and drink etc. She was 6 and I was 5 weeks out from surgery. We went to the doctors office and I weighed in at 217. Day of surgery I was 231 and first doc visit I was 250. So maybe by the 1st of the year I might be at 200 or less. The wife is loosing a little slower but that was expected according to the doctor. One thing he did say that was a surprised and have not heard much talked about it is that men have/hold there fat in by the stomach area and that is why I did not get more than 1cc since I had great restriction. women hold there fat more on the outside.

So all in all we are both please with how were are doing with the WLS etc. My wife sister had her surgery last Thursday.

The biggest problem/challenge that we have both had, and more for me than my wife is learning to re-work the drinking and eating schedule. Iam a person who can work 2-3 hours and not take a break and then come in and drink or eat. Now you can not do that. I have learned the hard that is for sure. I wonder if anyone else has had that problem and how they cured the problem. The doctor did say that is one of the major problems that people talk/complain about.

Chris

Chris, So happy for your wife. I know she'll be fine!!! Not sure how your hospital works, but as soon as you get in your room have your wife call down for Isopure for each meal of that day but don't drink it until you have your swallow, you want to make sure everything is ok.

After that, as soon as you get to your room have her call for your broth and full liquid diet including Isopure. I did this, ate the broth and took the Isopure home. Isopure cost $3.99 a bottle unless you get it on sale at GNC and you'll have several for home for those times when you need extra Protein.

Chris, my bad! I didn't look at the date of your post. Congrats to you both!

I'm bad about reading other threads other than the Violets.

Ms. Jen,

Did you have Dr. de la Torre do your band. I am just starting to fill out paperwork, etc. Any hints, pitfalls, advice??? I am excited and scared at the same time. Did you use the Psy. through their office? Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can give.

Chris - What exactly do you mean by your prior comment "The biggest problem/challenge that we have both had, and more for me than my wife is learning to re-work the drinking and eating schedule. Iam a person who can work 2-3 hours and not take a break and then come in and drink or eat. Now you can not do that. I have learned the hard that is for sure. I wonder if anyone else has had that problem and how they cured the problem. The doctor did say that is one of the major problems that people talk/complain about."?

I am considering having the lapband surgery through Wash U? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.