Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How many didnt follow the pre opt diet BE HONEST

I struggled big time..Slipped a few times and All was well...Not suggesting anyone cheat but the pre opt diet is only to prepare you for the post opt when you wont be able to eat anything.....My doctor allowed food on the 10th day...16 days and counting and it getting easier. I HONESTLY BELIEVE ITS ALL IN THE MIND...Being sleeved does not take away cravings...It just limits your intake... .Wish all the best of Luck

I HONESTLY BELIEVE ITS ALL IN THE MIND...Being sleeved does not take away cravings...It just limits your intake... .

Respectfully disagree! I went from thinking about food 24/7/365 to rarely wanting to eat. With the exception of right before my period, I feel just like I did when I was taking phentermine as an appetite suppressant. I loved that pill. It gave me the energy of 500 men, and I would go days without eating. It worked, but not long term. My sleeve leaves me with little appetite and the ability to stop eating before I am full.

I did not cheat. I decided that I wanted to lose as much as I could before the surgery. That way it would be less weight I would have to lose later. I like lipstick lady had eaten enough in my 42 years to keep a few people fed without ever going hungry. It's up to you, if you want to have less or more to lose after surgery. Just remember, as time goes by after surgery you will be able to eat just about anything just in smaller portions unless the food is a slider like chips, Cookies all the really high carb stuff thats not good for you.

LL you are lucky. I still get hungry and struggle with cravings - which are mostly emotional and not true hunger. My full button is not as obvious as it was in the beginning either. It seems to be different for everyone. That being said, I am sooo glad I chose this surgery. However, to the original OP the pre-op diet is a struggle for everyone and there seem to be as many different requirements as there are surgeons. I think it's important to stick with your surgeon's requirements so that you have the best outcome, as complication-free as is possible.

I stuck with the diet all except for one night when I had and said goodbye to all those yummy things I loved! I know lots of people frown down upon doing this but it was kinda my Hens Night for food. It was a goodbye to food freedom and gave me closure on my bad eating habits, 18 months later I have lost over 100 lbs. and am well past my doctors goal.

Edited by AussieLady

I didn't follow it very well. I barely even started until one week prior, and it should have been two.

Above all else, I made sure to completely stop eating two days before so my stomach would be TOTALLY empty.

Aside from that, I worried every day that my liver would not have shrunk enough because I continued eating carbs and even drinking wine the last week before surgery. Fortunately everything went 100% perfectly but I could have really screwed myself up - and I knew it.

Being totally honest.

I loosley followed it, primarily for Breakfast and lunch, but had a normal dinner.

The one exception was the day before (clear liquid). That I stuck to exactly.

I loosley followed it, primarily for Breakfast and lunch, but had a normal dinner. The one exception was the day before (clear liquid). That I stuck to exactly.

Same here.

Nope. Mainly because they were not that worried about me doing it. They told me to do it for just one week due to my BMI (I qualified due to health issues along with an overweight BMI, but I would not have qualified with my BMI alone). So, I had to buy the stuff (I frankly think it is a money thing in cases like mine). I didn't feel bad about it or think I was ruining anything because of my situation. The hardest day was the day before surgery for some reason - suddenly I was starving. I ate lightly. No liver or stomach troubles with surgery; they were more concerned that I had not eaten or drank anything after midnight. That was a no brainer.

If folks will beat yourself up over it, don't go there. Believe me, I have flipped on some random stuff since the surgery from all of this reading (not the pre-diet, but still). I recommend doctor's orders unless you have special circumstances and make sure they know.

I followed it for 13 of the 14 days I was on it. I ate normally on Easter Sunday. Didnt seem to effect my surgery. All went well.

Good Luck!

I HONESTLY BELIEVE ITS ALL IN THE MIND...Being sleeved does not take away cravings...It just limits your intake... .

Respectfully disagree! I went from thinking about food 24/7/365 to rarely wanting to eat. With the exception of right before my period, I feel just like I did when I was taking phentermine as an appetite suppressant. I loved that pill. It gave me the energy of 500 men, and I would go days without eating. It worked, but not long term. My sleeve leaves me with little appetite and the ability to stop eating before I am full.

I'm with @LipstickLady...my cravings have been few (I had a brief head-hunger over Chinese food yesterday), but even being allowed puree now, I eat a few tiny bites and done. I don't crave more.

And...yes, I stuck to my 14-day liquid pre-surgery diet. It never occurred to me to cheat. This is something I desperately want, and I want to be successful. Cheating on diets and not paying attention to my doctors contributed to me getting as big as I am. If I'm willing to take the step of surgery, then damn straight I'm going to follow what they tell me and give myself the best chance for success.

I'm in the follow the rules camp. I'm almost 4 months out and can honestly say I have followed the rules to a tee right from the start of the pre op--which for me was 800 calories consisting of 6 Protein supplements a day.

I made up my mind that I was going to follow directions. In 71 years of doing it my way I'd experienced little if any success. So it was time to let someone else tell me how to do it. And that is working well. I'm extraordinarily grateful to have found an A-1 surgeon that had experience with my age group and here I am 64 pounds less of me and very happy. So I will continue to follow his directions.

I urge you to follow your surgeons directions to the very best of your ability and wish you a successful surgery with a speedy recovery.

I followed my 10 day liquid pre-op diet exactly. It was hard but I figured if I couldn't do it before, how could I do it after. Plus, it gave me a huge sense of accomplishment and for once, I controlled my eating, not the other way around.