Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

??? What about eating out?

:rolleyes: I was wondering something...What is it like for those of you who have already been banded-when you go out to eat? What can you eat, how does this affect your social life-as well as, psychologically. Do people notice what little you eat? Do you seem to not want food as much after the surgery? I know I have a lot of questions but I need to know before I have this done so I can feel prepared! Thanks for any info!!! Selena

I am out of town right now, so I've been eating out nearly every night. Luckily, the friend I'm with knows I'm banded. You can order off the appetizer menu, have Soup or really order anything and just take 1/2 home! Last night I was at an Italian restaurant that happened to have some low-carb selections, so I ordered chicken piccata with sauteed veggies. Just be careful to chew thoroughly, put you fork down between bites and don't get to talking so much that you forget the bandster rules. Always know where the bathroom is in case things don't "go smoothly". Psychologically, I personally get stressed out in social situations around food still. I think people are watching how much I eat, etc. But I am getting better at this. Stress seems to make my band tighter and then I can't eat. So, before eating with others I give myself a pep talk and remind myself of the rules.

:) I was wondering something...What is it like for those of you who have already been banded-when you go out to eat? What can you eat, how does this affect your social life-as well as, psychologically. Do people notice what little you eat? Do you seem to not want food as much after the surgery? I know I have a lot of questions but I need to know before I have this done so I can feel prepared! Thanks for any info!!! Selena

Selena, I enjoy eating out very much. Yesterday I went out for seafood with my son. I was able to enjoy a cup of clam chowder with 1/2 of a shrimp ceasar salad. I was able to finish the cup of chowder and eat the shrimp off the top of the salad plus about 8 bites of the salad. I felt very satisified. I would say together it was 3/4 of a cup of food. Typically while being banded you consume 1/3-1 cup of food depending on how filled you are and whether the food is soft. In my case, the shrimp was considered soft so it went down nicely. I kept full for quite a few hours. I still drink alcohol and I have an occasional beer too. I take home left overs if I have to order regular size meals. Truthfully, I enjoy food a lot more now. I can usually eat 1 chicken enchilada or at least most of it. I hope this relieves some of your concern. Eating out is a big part of my life. Julie:o

Hi.. I am new to this sit, first post... this Thread just answered my biggest question. Eating out. Thanks so much. I have had my Consult and am starting the process with my Dr. I have to do a 6 mos Medical diet, which to me is a kick in the butt. If diets worked, :faint: then this would be fine, but to me, this is 6 mos of time to cheat with nothing in place to prevent that. Thanks to everyone for all the post. I have been reading for weeks and I know I will be back.

I have 3 adorable kids that deserve a mom to be active with them and most of all, be able to fit in the sits at Six Flags with them. I will happen :clap2: .

I thought at first I would never enjoy eating out . I really do because it is food that I don't prepare for myself at home. This IS 9 mos after surgery.

I feel like I eat like a thin person now. It does help when I go with a friend who will share. Sometimes they don't pick what I would have but really it is no big deal. Before that would have made me very unhappy.

I have just changed my way of thinking. It used to be ALL ABOUT the food now it is the company.

I never had people stare at my plate or comment. My husband and I would say to the waiter WE are going to have the .... and we will need an extra plate. We gave no explanations . Note we still tip if good service like we ordered two Entrees (I'm a past waitress).

At first I would carry a Special K Protein meal bar in case the restaurant didn't have anything I thought I could eat. It never happened.

I just recently when to 2 buffets. I enjoyed them so much because of the variety . Of course I didn't get my moneys worth but so what.

You will be ok,

edie

I am a closet bandster, and I hate going out. I hate dinners with family, I hate all of it. Buffets are a waste of time, Soup is the only option for fear of getting stuck, and it is always a waste of money.

Before I was filled I could eat off the kids menu, but once filled "properly" I realized it is just one big mess.

My advice is to stay at home, unless you like spending $6.00 for soup.

Now, it is true, you are not hungry with the band... but there are a ton of trade-offs. If you are the type to not mind people noticeing what/how you eat (And they do), can sit and nurse a drink and a bowl of soup while others are eating stuff you really want, then you will have it made.

I am coming up on my year mark... and I can tell you it gets old. It gets harder to hide from family/friends/co-workers with each fill, and you never know what is going to trigger a PB moment. I am currently fighting the "too-tights to drink anything in the morning" stage after my newest fill. I LITERALLY can not drink anything until around 3 o'clock in the afternoon. Then I can drink and EAT a nice bandster size dinner. (3 oz protien, 1/4 cup vegg.)

Yeah the weight is falling off now... but what a pain...

Then again you may be one of the lucky ones that never has a problem... and I truly hope you are...

I haven't had any problems. Went to Joe's Crab Shack today...had the fish and shrimp. Switched the coleslaw and fries for a dish of steamed vegies. Ended up eating the shrimp and one on the fillets, took the other fish and vegies home. The only thing i've heard while eating out is from the waiter/waitresses. Usually something like, "oh, I see you're slowing down, must be getting full". Don't offer an explanation unless you want too, just ask for a doggie bag!

Eating out is certainly an undue stress and strain to me in my life. I have an absolutely wonderful partner who knows the signs of when things aren't going well, I always know where the washroom is and am very aware of what I am ordering. If I am not careful at all times I will have problems for sure. Soup is an option, buffets are not. Its a complete waste of time and money, sitting for long periods of time while others gorge themselves is not my idea of fun anymore,,,,although I didn't used to mind. I fear eating out a little bit, good thing I live in a tiny town with only 2 restaurants and we rarely eat out....maybe once a month....maybe! Never sweat the small stuff I think is the best thought, order what you know you can have and forget about what we can't! Make sense? POPT

I love going out to eat!

However, after being banded, it just felt like such a waste of money! So, I began just sharing w/ my husband instead of ordering my own big plate.

It was a little awkward at first because I didn't want the waitor to think we were trying to be cheap all the time, but I learned not to worry about what other people think.

It will take some getting used to, but you just have to keep the big picture in mind.

I wish you lots of luck!

Hi, I am new to this. I am just considering this surgery, researching it. So when people say they need to know where the bathroom is, is it because you throw up? Does it happen alot? I hate to throw up......but I really want to be thin.

I enjoy going out to eat! I met friends for brunch today, and ordered a crab and avocado omelet, which came with fried potatoes and a muffin. I asked that the muffin be brought to the table in a to-go container, which I brought home for my husband. I ate about 1/3 of the omelet, and a couple of bites of the potato.

I have been conservative in my fills, and do not have PBs (some people are more prone to them, and that's what the bathroom references are about).

All along, my goal was to enjoy life as a "normal-eating" person...and I think I have done that. Everyone knows about my band, and I guess I know some exceptional people, because I do not receive stares or weird comments; only positive praise and compliments. I imagine they were staring and making negative comments and thinking negative thoughts when they saw the way I used to eat...piles of food, not one or two Cookies or donuts, but half a dozen, etc. I think it's strange that we worry now about what people think about how little we are eating, when we were apparently not all that worried about what people thought about how much we were eating? Isn't that kinda weird?

Like many things, the band is what you make it. It's great for me. I enjoy social occasions and visiting, and the freedom the band has given me, in many different areas of my life.

Good luck to you!

I've been banded over 2 years now. Eating out at first was weird but I look back now and think maybe it was just me feeling paranoid. My family and I eat out alot. My two teenagers and husband will order off the menu and I'll either order an appetizer or Soup. Then I just "taste" something from everyone's plate. I get full and satified and we still usually have leftovers. On occasion, if it's just me and my husband or if I'm just not in the mood for soup, I will order a regular dinner and just ask for a box when my dinner comes. Rarely are there any comments, if there are I just return with not very hungry or had a late lunch.< /p>

I went out to eat for the first time since being banded. It was with a bunch of people that I did not know and I was a little worried that they would notice howq little I ate. However, it was no big deal. Everyone ordered appetizers and passed the plates around. I tasted mac-n chesse and crab/spinach dip...I only had like two/three small forkfulls of each. For myself I ordered, crab cakes and asked the waiter to sub the fries for peas (something soft). I ate the inside of one crab cake (didn't eat the crust part). Hardly touched the peas and also had three small sips of Water. Noone was concerned with how little I ate. I think that happens when we make such a big deal about it. I just enjoyed my dinner with a bunch of new frineds.

On the other hand...the waiter did notice how little I ate and called his manager. I told him my meal was ok just wasn't in the mood to eat it all. Well...he took my $22 plate off the bill!!! I like my band!!!!!!

I love to eat out. Everyone gets to order what they want (i.e. I don't have to cook something and hear complaints from the one person who doesn't like it...). My DD has always eaten like a naturally thin person (she is now a teen and weighs about 115). What we do is split an appitizer with the family, split an entree' and share a desert. We also bring home extras so my teen son can eat it later! It must be working because I am in the 1 to 2 lb/week target.

Hey Poodles, it sounds like your current fill is too much! You should at least be able to get liquids in in the am. Have you tried warm coffee or tea for the first drink to "relax" your band? I would check with your doc though, you might need a tiny "unfill"