Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

??? What about eating out?

I eat out fairly often, at least 2-3 times per week, and have absolutely no problem. I've never had a PB, so I don't worry about that. I make sure I get some Water first, and try to drink at least one glass before the food arrives. Of course, once the food arrives, I push it just out of my reach, so that I don't absent-mindedly grab it!

I usually order off of the appetizer menu, share a meal with my hubby, or take home half of my meal. I'm a proud lap bander, so everyone knows that I've had the surgery. And if the waiter comments on how little I've eaten I tell him, too!

The only downside to eating out, as far as I'm concerned, is the lack of control about what's in your food. I try to order healthy, lower-fat, foods, but it can be tricky sometimes, especially with sauces. I love sauces because they can make the difference in getting meats/fish down, but they can harbor some wicked fat, too! I try to get sauces on the side, and just dip the tip of the bite of food into it.

Tami

I never have problems eating out, and I eat out quite a bit. I order off the senior menu a lot--most places will let you do that weather you are a senior or not, but they seem a little more strict about ordering off the kids menu. I don't usually order appetizers because most of them are deep fried or loaded with calories, and I am trying to eat healthier. I take home leftovers a lot, too. If I am really having trouble deciding, I will usually just go with a salad. I have never had problems with pbing either. I think you will do just fine.

I will order al-cart a lot of times. The other day I went to a business meeting (breakfest), I order 1 scrambled egg with a side of country gravy, they only charged me for the egg. 1.49 could not beat that.

Wow! Such a great response from you all! Thanks... Well, it does sound like something that can be done then...that's reassuring! Seems to work for most people... :) I know we want to strive for the most nutritious picks but does anyone ever eat things they maybe shouldn't? What happens?

Hi,

I'm not sure exactly what your question means...I eat ice cream, and I maybe shouldn't eat that! LOL! Nothing happens, except my weight loss is slower.

Seriously, if you are asking if I eat some of the foods that are sometimes listed as no-no's on the bandster lists, the answer is yes. Knowing that some people had problems with them, I ate them very cautiously the first time. I made sure the bite size was small, and that I chewed it very well. I have not found a food I just cannot eat...I alter some foods so I can. For example, if I want a hamburger, I order it, then take off the top bun, and eat the meat and toppings.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Hi, These have been great answers to this question about eating out. I've been banded three months today with two fills - about 1.5cc total and lately I've been having a lot of trouble eating with other people. I do OK with my husband, esp. if I'm not facing him across the table but maybe eating in front of the TV (like you're not supposed to do). If I'm eating with people at a table situation I seem to get stressed and pace myself to them and get in trouble with too big of bites and not enough chewing. My two kids are coming home from college in a month and I'm kinda nervous about getting food stuck all the time in front of them. Do any of you do better eating by yourself?

Smilliegal

Well, if you are asking if you can eat crap... then yes. Ice cream, chocolate, crunchy chips, all work... Unfortunately. YOU must do some work with this band too. Just know, and fully UNDERSTAND, that this is a life changing surgery. Your eating life will forever change. You can not rely on food any more. It WILL NOT be easy, especially if you are addicted to food, just be prepared for all the physical, emotional, and social implications.

Finding out the information is the first step. I honestly wanted this tool, begged and pleaded for the insurance company to cover it, thought I was ready... but was not prepared. Nothing anyone can say to you can make up your mind one way or the other, just try and look at your life. If your social life revolves around food, try to plan out your adjustments. Try a party or two living the bandster way and see if you like it.

My surgeon said that about 20% of his patients can not handle it. I thought, I won't be one of them, but today I sat looking at a whey shake, watching my husband eat a good meal, that I had to cook, (pork chops, brown rice, snap peas) and thought "man this is not worth it." My DH says, "the band is doing its job, hugh", and I wanted to slap him.

Prepare, read, and then decide.

Oh, and I can drink today... it is true I may be overfilled (again), but can not take off of school next week because of TAKS... so I am stuck with this fill for a while.

To mousecrazy and poodles: Yes, you was right, I was wondering if you could still eat some fattening things-from time to time. (Not all the time, though!) I didn't know if it would give an adverse reaction since your body doesn't get near as much fat as it use to. May sound strange, but since I'm not banded yet, I wasn't for sure about it. My life does center very much around food...this is why I think the lap-band may be what I am looking for. I wouldn't be able to just stuff myself as much as I want. I would have to think of consequences-and I hate to vomit!!! It would give me a sort of "physical boundary." Thanks for all the input everyone has added. I feel I am getting more and more informed. :biggrin1:

I LOVE eating out. I have 15 yr old twins and a husband who are eating machines--granted I trained them because b-4 banding I was one excellent cook. Eating out is total freedom for me. I usually order off of the starter menu, or I will just have a part of my husbands meal. It helps him too! I always have a glass of wine (or two) while those in my party are enjoying soup/salad/starter. I eat my food when they get their entree, stop the liquids and all is fine. I particularly enjoy one bite of whatever dessert my loved ones want to share. That one bite feels so much better than the whole thing used to.

Wow ... I feel a LOT better about going out to eat - thank you everyone!!

The only "usual" restaurant (other than a fast-food regulars) is a nice bar and grill where everyone in my Department goes about once a month. I was worried about not being able to join them (and our "usual table") is not near the restroom)!

There's not a child's portion on the menu (however that's a brilliant idea for other places)! Now, I feel like I could tell the waiter no rice/potatoes, and give him the "knowing-nod" or eyebrow-lift. He'll get the message. He'll probably think it's a low-carb thing - but that's okay.

I was thinking that with dating someone new (which I hope to do in the future when I don't feel like such a blob), I don't want to carry around a doggie-bag after the meal. I also don't want the guy to feel like he's paid for a meal that I didn't eat, so I'll have to be creative in ordering - but it sounds like it can be done.

I love eating out.

I dont have many problems with my band, I'm lucky, but I honestly think to go out, eat half or a third of what you order and stop because you're full, then worry about "wasting" money is seriously the wrong attitude.

I'll gladly pay $15, $20, whatever for a night out with my friends, what I actually eat is irrelevant. Of course you can have something fattening now and again, but generally I'll try to choose an appetiser, something relatively plain that I know wont give me trouble to eat. I'll have dessert if I have room and feel like it, often I dont want it, but I'll just eat a bite or two till I'm satisfied.

I'll always have a glass of wine or two as well.

Life changing this surgery has definitely been but not in a negative way for me. Its freed me to totally enjoy food without being scared of it or controlled by it.

A meal out is just that, a meal out. As long as you eat well 95% of the time it doesnt matter.

What about crunchy chicken tacos? My all time fav place is a wonderful Mexican restaurant. Their tacos are the best I have ever had. I worry that I may never be able to enjoy one..ever again..sniff....(they also put guacamole on top of it and it is out of this world!!!:D

I have a Restaurant Card that says I have had surgery and they let me order off the kid's menu or the senior menu. That works great. I use that when I am with people who know I am banded.

Otherwise, I make sure I cut my food into tiny itty bitty bites before I even take a bite. I will usually just tell whoever I am with that I had a late lunch, or my stomach is upset or something- or even better yet- that I am dieting and cutting down on portions. I know what I can order without getting stuck and it's never been a problem.

My problem might start when I go visit my dad next month. I never told him about the band because I don't want to listen to a lecture about spending

$10,000 of my own money. Last time I visited him, food got stuck. My mom had trouble with her esophagus and I just told him I was having the same problem and must have a hiatal (sp?) hernia.

Your kids menus must be different to here then? Here on the kids menu is usually fish and chips, chicken nuggets and chips, hot dogs and chips, pizza, spaghetti bolognaise. Definitely not the kind of food you'd bother going out for. And often HUGE anyway. Just huge and stodgy instead of huge and gourmet.

I never even order that crap for my own kids. I figure we're out, we're going to enjoy good food, something we dont cook at home and the last thing you need to do to kids is pollute their palates with bland processed food. Consequently mine are adventurous eaters - and I dont worry if they dont finish, which they never do.

We dont generally do doggie bags anymore in Australia either - its against health regulations.

I eat out all the time, dbf will stab me with a fork if I try to share with him so I often just order much like everyone else does... order what I want and don't eat the stuff that comes with...

Mexican, chips and salsa go down EASY, anything CRUNCHY does but the better choice would be and what I usually have is chicken fajita's and then ditch the tortila's...... I often spit them with my son.

Last week we went to an italian place... I had a chicken breast smothered in very tasty stuff and gave the side of Pasta to others and didn't touch the bread....

I have 2.75 cc's in my band which holds 4cc's I am not at optimum restriction but I don't have any problems finding SOMEthing.... heck I was even at McDonalds last weekend and I had a chicken bacon ranch salad and it was good... Yeah the chicken had breading, but like someone else pointed out... this is REAL life....... I do have a hang up about getting my money's worth at buffets, but then I look around at all the skinny people in the room and see them not getting "their money's worth" either and know that its all realative........ I'm not going to lie... when I get stressed or just WANT that oooeyy gooooey piece of SUGAR I mourn it for a second and then I remember that my size 16's are fitting again and before too long I'll be in my beloved 12's