Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Did your Doc require a pre-op diet?

• No
    • Yes, a liquid diet
    • Yes, modified fat, carbs, protein

Hi Lise,

I felt a bit slow today, but I did get my taxes done, so I feel relieved! I was pretty sore today, how about you? I didn't take any meds for the pain because I don't like to feel weird during the day. I'll take a bit tonight again. My boss is very supportive and wonderful. I also have a little over two weeks of sick time that I can't use unless I'm sick for at least three days and have a MD's excuse. I rarely get sick, especially for three days, so I decided to take advantage and go for a long recuperation! I'm going to try a slow walk around the neighborhood tomorrow. After I sleep in, that is! By the way, you look pretty young. I think that I am old enough to be your mother! SS

It's saturday - you are allowed to feel slow!!! I haven't taken my pain meds for 2 days b/c i'm just tired of being constipated. I'm going to take a walk today, as well. Only problem is that when I walk I tend to get gassy and then need to run to the bathroom...ugh! I may look young, but I am about to turn 31. Is that young? I guess it depends on who you ask. :lol: I doubt you are old enough to be my mom! Have a fabulous day - and imagine what we will look like in a year - here's to the band-ettes!

Hi Lise,

I felt a bit slow today, but I did get my taxes done, so I feel relieved! I was pretty sore today, how about you? I didn't take any meds for the pain because I don't like to feel weird during the day. I'll take a bit tonight again. My boss is very supportive and wonderful. I also have a little over two weeks of sick time that I can't use unless I'm sick for at least three days and have a MD's excuse. I rarely get sick, especially for three days, so I decided to take advantage and go for a long recuperation! I'm going to try a slow walk around the neighborhood tomorrow. After I sleep in, that is! By the way, you look pretty young. I think that I am old enough to be your mother! SS

I won't see my doctor until some time in June as my insurance requires 6 months of visits with my PCP first. I have quite a bit of Medifast leftover from a previous weight loss attempt. Would it be helpful for me to start back on that prior to seeing my surgeon in order to get use to the drastic change in my diet?

Barbara

Hi Barbara, you may want to call your surgeon and ask them. Personally speaking my surgeon didn't have me do a preop diet so I was okay. That being said if you start now he may have you do one and may not count the time you spent on one. A simple phone call will help you. Good luck with your surgery. How exciting! julie

I haven't been banded yet but my dr requires a 2 week diet of liquids with one meal 3oz fish or chicken with veggies. Then only liquids 24 hours before surgery. :sneaky:

I'm really scared to post this, but I'm on day 4 of the clear liquid pre-op (Slimfast 3x day, sf Jello, sf popsicles, broth). I've "cheated" everyday by having 2 scrambled eggs and that is the only cheating I've done. I'm down 7 lbs so the weight is coming off. The reason I've done this is because my birth control pills make me incredibly nauseous if I don't have something in my tummy. I've always had to have a little something for Breakfast whether I wanted it or not, if not I'll be miserable. Should I call my dr's office and postpone my surgery? I could just use other protection and not take bc pills when I have to start over?

I'm really scared to post this, but I'm on day 4 of the clear liquid pre-op (Slimfast 3x day, sf Jello, sf popsicles, broth). I've "cheated" everyday by having 2 scrambled eggs and that is the only cheating I've done. I'm down 7 lbs so the weight is coming off. The reason I've done this is because my birth control pills make me incredibly nauseous if I don't have something in my tummy. I've always had to have a little something for breakfast whether I wanted it or not, if not I'll be miserable. Should I call my dr's office and postpone my surgery? I could just use other protection and not take bc pills when I have to start over?

I don't think the eggs are going to hurt you. They aren't carbs, they are Protein. Carbs are what will affect your liver the most and that is the objective of the pre-op diet, to shrink your liver.

You can call your doctor to be sure but I can't see him canceling because of two eggs a day. I was on a high protein/low carb diet up until two days before surgery. That is when I had to be on clear liquids. Contact your doctor, explain your situation and see what he says.

I'm really scared to post this, but I'm on day 4 of the clear liquid pre-op (Slimfast 3x day, sf Jello, sf popsicles, broth). I've "cheated" everyday by having 2 scrambled eggs and that is the only cheating I've done. I'm down 7 lbs so the weight is coming off. The reason I've done this is because my birth control pills make me incredibly nauseous if I don't have something in my tummy. I've always had to have a little something for breakfast whether I wanted it or not, if not I'll be miserable. Should I call my dr's office and postpone my surgery? I could just use other protection and not take bc pills when I have to start over?

Many Dr's use the pre-op diet to help shrink a possible fatty liver and some Dr's don;t have any pre-op diet. I had to follow a low calorie/low fat diet for two weeks prior to surgery and two days of clear liquids right before surgery.

I think you've done well and your "cheat" was at least Protein based and not a high fat food.< /p>

If it were me, I would not confess to the Dr.and I would keep the surgery date.

Does the Dr. recommend that you stop BC pils before surgery to reduce risk of clots?

Hey lize,

How was your first day back at work? I got a bunch of personal stuff done today. Every day I feel better and better. I am glad that I don't have to work because it involves a lot of sitting and leaning (I am a dental hygienist) and some fast moving (taking x-rays). I am old enough to be your mother! I have a son your age. He's 31 as well! I'm 53. I have my first post-op appointment on Thursday. I don't have scales in my home, so it will be interesting to see if I've lost weight. I'll keep you and everyone posted. SS

Thank you for your replies Jaxbanster & Shortgal. I figured if I was going to "cheat" that eggs were better than pancakes or something carb-y. The good thing is that I finished my pills last night and I don't have to have anything in my tummy until next Monday. Since that Monday will be two days before my surgery, I may just not start my next pack and wait until I can start eating mushies to get back on them. It's not like I'll probably feel like doing anything that will get me pregnant during that time anyway. ; )

No, my dr. did not tell me to quit taking them but I did disclose that I take them on my paperwork.

You won't want "anything" near your incicions or belly, so most likely no need for the bc pills.< /p>

Best wishes on your lap band journey.