Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Come on people. Us newbies need your success stories. They are sooo encouraging, they help us see the finish line and what it's all worth.

Thing to remember, there IS a finish line, there IS a life AFTER.....

Someone poked fun at the term "Journey"...I somewhat agree...won't use the term....

I can say, first hand experience...you have this surgery to correct a problem, something you could never do by yourself with dieting and will power...Heaven knows we tried....

In my case, you get the band properly adjusted, ....you develop and learn new habits, adopt a new lifestyle...Just as a bad lifestyle slowly made us fat, living a new lifestyle will slowly return us to a normal weight.....

After which, everything becomes second nature, no reason to think about it or remind yourself what you need to do or what you should not do....you've lost ALL your excess weight, diet is no longer a word you need to worry about....

It truely becomes a New Life, taking it for granted just as you would if you had knee surgery 4 years ago.....

I have set goals and they came and went, but my body kept going...my body determined what is the appropriate weight....something my Dr. would tell me and took a while to understand....

Having said that, I started to think it was me, and no longer the band that made the difference....last visit I had 1/2cc taken out (AMA) BIG MISTAKE....had that 1/2cc put back in 2 weeks later.....

Chalk it up as a learning experience, a reminder it is the band working 24/7 behind the scenes, and not me.... even the office staff laughed at the "Experiment", but all agreed it did prove a point....

But I am back in the Groove...living the good life, never having to worry about dieting or gaining weight ever again...as long as I don't mess with the band.....

There is a life after this surgery! There is Finish Line!

This DOES WORK!

When I was at the Dr,'s office last, he has a large poster on the wall, printed by the Realize Co., that says in big bold letters..."Learn to Listen to Your Band"....a mantra my Dr, has been saying to me since surgery...

it is so true...for me, it is the key to everything.....and if I had to say anything to a lap band person, it would be the same..."Learn to Listen to Your Band!"

One thing you will notice, there are not that many Successful Veterans on this website, it is mostly people just starting out.......all of the people I used to look up to and follow when first starting out are all long gone....

There are many reasons for this, (a few not very friendly)....

But...do not think there are not people who are successful, just by reading all the negative stories here......they just have no reason to hang around here anymore..there is nothing for them here other than to be reminded what "Bandster Hell" was all about..........they have simply moved on with their new lives....but they are out there!

Edited by B-52

B 52 I wish I could meet you in person. You are so inspirational. Thanks for you comment. I really appreciate it. I'm 3 1/2 months post op. down 29 pounds. Have an addition 55 to go. I have 8cc in my band right now. I still forget to chew good and take little bites. Due to that I get stuck more than I would like. I'm not sure if I need another fill or not. I feel restriction but not as much as I think I should feel. Any advice?

B 52 I wish I could meet you in person. You are so inspirational. Thanks for you comment. I really appreciate it. I'm 3 1/2 months post op. down 29 pounds. Have an addition 55 to go. I have 8cc in my band right now. I still forget to chew good and take little bites. Due to that I get stuck more than I would like. I'm not sure if I need another fill or not. I feel restriction but not as much as I think I should feel. Any advice?

If you're getting stuck while eating, then you're not listening to your band...it's that simple...getting stuck, your band is shouting at you....either you're not changing your habits, or your band is too tight.....

I have always looked to myself as the problem before I blamed the band for being too tight,....I think people get Fluid taken out prematurely when really it was because they're fighting change.....

But getting Fluid taken out will allow them to eat what they want when they want...Right? Then they're happy, Right?

I agree. I believe it's my fault. I still need to get used to this life change. I don't think I'm too tight because I can still overeat if I choose to. Which is why I'm conflicted of when I should get my next fill. I'm not sure if I should wait until my stuck episodes become less frequent. The last few days its been better. I've been more careful.

Great post, B-52. That listening is key to the whole thing. Many of us have those old instincts, screw it I'm going to do it anyway, but the band reminds us not to go there. You're doing great, Shelley. It definitely takes a little while to get into the swing of things, to get the right fill, etc. Many people have said not to rush, that for them the stages were an important time to develop new habits, get the head into the game. I feel impatient at six months out almost fifty down but hey, six months? That's the blink of an eye in the grander scheme of things. There's the whole day at a time thing. This day it's time to exercise and I'm going to work it, because I can. I don't always want to when I'm about to do it but afterward I love it and can't wait to go again. For me, much of this is a mind game. I tell myself every day I am not on a diet. I don't count calories but I don't eat if I'm not hungry. Thanks to my band I'm not hungry very often and when I am I have what's good for me then -- Protein, veggies -- love fish, fish oils, etc. Listening to my band......

to me a success story is a person TRYING and then following what their dr advised them to do in whatever WLS one chose to receive and doing the best they can.....some want to lose weight to fit into a tiny polka dot bikni and some (like me) wanted/needed to have this surgery just to be able to walk better (and truth be told, to be able to wipe my butt)....

success to me is one continuing to exercise and eat as they know they should even if the scale doesnt move or it (even goes up for whatever reason, TOM, muscle building etc)....and not whining about stalls all the time..or having major surgery and shocked they havent lost 50 pounds overnight and what ami doing wrong nonsense......success means a person who stays the course no matter what ...a person who doesnt stop when they want too.....is not only a success, but my hero.

Get your fill. If you can overeat you may not be tight enough. I got stuck more when I was looser because I had the mistaken illusion that "I can eat that!" The tighter I got though, the less my mind was able to mess with me.

Edited by SashaWLS

Come on people. Us newbies need your success stories. They are sooo encouraging, they help us see the finish line and what it's all worth.

There's plenty of success stories out there Shelly. I've posted about mine several times but will be happy to share again.

Per my ticker below, you can see that I was morbidly obese. I had limited mobility due to arthritis and was heading towards a life in a wheelchair. I had the surgery in January of 2013 and subsequent hip replacement in October of 2013. I am now off the cane and walking again. Yes, I have residual pain...I have alot more physical therapy in my future, but the difference is tremendous.

Then there's all the other stuff. I buy pretty clothes again. I can fit anywhere. And I mean anywhere. I don't fear small spaces because I'm small myself. Yes...I'm a small lady again.

I'm getting my life back. Before getting the lapband, I was on a cruise and couldn't get off the ship because I was in terrible pain. Even if I wasn't in pain, I couldn't do most of the excursions because I was afraid I couldn't fit into a life vest. Horrible, right? Well, I'm going on a cruise in July and my son and I are going on a deep Water scuba excursion. I have no concerns about keeping up or about fitting into any equipment.

I'm normal sized now, and living life like a normal person. I'm happier about having the lapband than I ever expected. How's that for a success story?

Oh, and I posted my before and after pics so you can have a visual. Yes...they are both pictures of me. Some difference, right?

post-142630-0-00763400-1399559271_thumb.jpg

Success can be measured in many ways....

Lower BMI

Weight lost

Confidence gained

Health issues resolved

Better mobility

Smaller clothes sizes

Agility

Feeling NORMAL

Best Wishes for your success story!

Love this!! You are amazing!

There's plenty of success stories out there Shelly. I've posted about mine several times but will be happy to share again.

Per my ticker below, you can see that I was morbidly obese. I had limited mobility due to arthritis and was heading towards a life in a wheelchair. I had the surgery in January of 2013 and subsequent hip replacement in October of 2013. I am now off the cane and walking again. Yes, I have residual pain...I have alot more physical therapy in my future, but the difference is tremendous.

Then there's all the other stuff. I buy pretty clothes again. I can fit anywhere. And I mean anywhere. I don't fear small spaces because I'm small myself. Yes...I'm a small lady again.

I'm getting my life back. Before getting the lapband, I was on a cruise and couldn't get off the ship because I was in terrible pain. Even if I wasn't in pain, I couldn't do most of the excursions because I was afraid I couldn't fit into a life vest. Horrible, right? Well, I'm going on a cruise in July and my son and I are going on a deep Water scuba excursion. I have no concerns about keeping up or about fitting into any equipment.

I'm normal sized now, and living life like a normal person. I'm happier about having the lapband than I ever expected. How's that for a success story?

Oh, and I posted my before and after pics so you can have a visual. Yes...they are both pictures of me. Some difference, right?

attachicon.gifbefore and after.jpg