Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Caught in a cycle of Carbs!

I have always said that it is easier to say no to carbs than it is to indulge & then have to give them up again.

... and let's be more specific, when I say carbs, I mostly mean potato chips! I have such a weakness for potato chips. It is definitely my red light food. I find that when I indulge, it just causes me to want more. The craving is very much insatiable. So, why do I do it?! I have no freakin' idea why!

Once carbs are in my system, Instead of the craving going away because it was satisfied, I just want more. Now I have to figure out how to put an end to this nasty carb craving cycle.

Anyone else like this? I feel out of control & 'weak' today. Sorry, I know I'm beating myself up...

I share your illness. But for me, it was not only potato chips, it was Doritos, corn chips and Cheetos. But, the key is to not buy them and have them in the house. It's much easier to push them away on the grocery shelf than in your pantry or on your kitchen counter. Don't forget to avoid the fat filled dips too!

Oh yes, the chips and dip weakness, I can totally identify! This is one of my biggest weaknesses along with ice cream. I agree with TMF, I just simply won't buy them because I know if I do I will eat them. If I do think I need something, because we all have those times when we just can't fight it any longer, I will try to find a healthy alternative, so for me I found the Special K Cracker chips, bag is 110 cal and 22g of carbs for the WHOLE bag and I find I can only eat 1/2 how sweet is that or I will make zuccini chips and dip them in Okios Greek Yogurt dip, which is very good and good for you. For my ice cream fix, I will either drive to Yogurtini, 110 cal for 4oz and it has Protein, I will add a few toppings but try to be conservative, or I will run to the store and buy some Skinny Cow cones (devine:-))

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I don't have chips and salsa when I go for mexican or that I won't have a small slice of cake at a party etc., but I know the way it makes me feel afterwards which is terrible and guilty so I would just rather pass:-)

After my pregnancy, I have a serious carb/sugar craving ALL THE TIME. i had all but kicked it beforehand, but I let myself indulge as much as I wanted during pregnancy and now I'm paying the price :(

Sugar and carb addiction is no joke!

I'm a sleever but the way to help me is making kale and veggie chips. Thinly slice them on a Mandoline and dehydrate them or bake them at 225 for 30-45 min until Crispy. Use olive oil and seasonings of your choice then make some ranch dip with Greek yogurt. Yum!

After my pregnancy, I have a serious carb/sugar craving ALL THE TIME. i had all but kicked it beforehand, but I let myself indulge as much as I wanted during pregnancy and now I'm paying the price :(

Sugar and carb addiction is no joke!

Did you read the magazine article posted here today? I'll post the link below but it is so true that keeping trigger foods within arms length can only cause more bingeing.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/page/articles.html/_/mental-health/avoid-or-alter-r201

Did you read the magazine article posted here today? I'll post the link below but it is so true that keeping trigger foods within arms length can only cause more bingeing.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/page/articles.html/_/mental-health/avoid-or-alter-r201

Just now seeing this! I did not see that article but I have heard of mindful eating from my counselor. It's really hard to do and takes a lot of concentration for me to eat mindfully! Good article! Thanks!

Me tooooo! I am a carb addict and will gravitate to only carbs if I am not mindful and intentional. And it's one thing to say don't have them in the house. If I lived alone that would be possible and helpful. But since my husband is an average size and can eat what he wants, he does. And he buys all my trigger/red light foods. Little Debbies, chips, doritoes, cheese puffs, etc....So, just not having it in the house has not been a path I can follow. Tho, I do believe if they were not around, it would be easier. Much easier. I do ask him to keep them in his office or on a shelf that we have designated for him. It helps to think of it as not my food. Then I also hav substitues for when I am weak. Most of the time (these days) I can choose those substitutes. But it is not usually easy. Sigh. Good ole Lays, you can't eat just one. I can't eat just one skinny cow either. I do ok for the most part with Atkins stuff if I want a sweet and they don't trigger me to keep digging in the box for me. So I have to pay attention to what doesn't have a voice in my head. Lays has a voice in my head. I have to finish them once I start them. Ack! I try to make good swaps, like WASA bread (crackers) with salsa or hummus. I would never binge on those (I don't think), as they taste like cardboard. LOL But, I agree, gotta watch the dips. If I get into one I particularly like, ( green onion dip, french onion dip, spinach dip, you get it), the WASA makes no matter. I can eat a bunch of it till the dip runs out. Some foods I just can't start. Esp the salty/fat/starchy combo. The blander the better. hahahaha