Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ANYONE UNDER 200 ON THE DAY OF SURGERY?

I am scheduled for surgery next Thursday, May 8th (NERVOUS WRECK), and am now in the pre-op diet phase; I have two questions:

1. Did anyone just start to not feel hungry after being on the pre-op diet for a few days, like seven or so?

2. Has anyone gone into surgery under 200lbs? I'm not there yet, but fast-approaching; I started out at 233lbs and a BMI of over 40 with comorbities (HBP, Migraines, sleep Apnea, Water retention, gerd, etc.), I'm now down to 208.7, uhhh is this normal?

Thanks everyone for your responses! I've been on this site for a short while now, and, have mostly been reading different threads and posts, and, with my surgery date fast-approaching, I realize now, that we all need each other for this support!

Feel free to friend me!

Edited by CrisH64

For me the hunger seemed to decrease by day 4 of the 2 week pre op diet and it got a lot easier. I drank a lot of Vitamin Water Zero to keep my electrolytes in check. I can't touch the stuff now without gagging because I drank so much but it helped a lot at the time.

I started at 200 lbs and lost 10lbs on the pre op diet so I was 190lbs the day of surgery....and came home at 200lbs from all of the fluids.

Good luck!

Edited by Michele H.

For me the hunger seemed to decrease by day 4 of the 2 week pre op diet and it got a lot easier. I drank a lot of Vitamin Water Zero to keep my electrolytes in check. I can't touch the stuff now without gagging because I drank so much but it helped a lot at the time.

I started at 200 lbs and lost 10lbs on the pre op diet so I was 190lbs the day of surgery....and came home at 200lbs from all of the fluids.

Good luck!

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much! I almost started thinking I'm crazy or my scale is broken, but it is literally coming off seems like 1lb everyday. You've really eased my mind, I almost started feeling like I'm being selfish for having the surgery, some people tell me, "you're not "BIG ENOUGH" to have WLS", and I hate that, but they have no idea of the OTHER things I have going on, so I just say, "I carry it well",and keep moving.

While I weighed 250 in 2009 when I was banded, I weighed 174 9 mths ago when I had my sleeve revision. My BMI was 28. But my insurance covered it cuz I had a band complication. I had a 24 hr pre op diet so I'm of no help there :(

So yes, there's a few of us around that started at less than 200. Good luck to u!

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much! I almost started thinking I'm crazy or my scale is broken, but it is literally coming off seems like 1lb everyday. You've really eased my mind, I almost started feeling like I'm being selfish for having the surgery, some people tell me, "you're not "BIG ENOUGH" to have WLS", and I hate that, but they have no idea of the OTHER things I have going on, so I just say, "I carry it well",and keep moving.

Good luck!

My sister said the exact same thing to me about not being big enough. I am only 4'10" so at 200lbs I was 100 pounds overweight with a BMI of 40. Don't let others discourage you....you've got this!

And of course the weight is falling off on a liqud diet, but a liquid diet is not sustainable long term. After surgery when you are full after a few bites, that is something you can manage long term and the real weight loss will begin.

While I weighed 250 in 2009 when I was banded, I weighed 174 9 mths ago when I had my sleeve revision. My BMI was 28. But my insurance covered it cuz I had a band complication. I had a 24 hr pre op diet so I'm of no help there :(

So yes, there's a few of us around that started at less than 200. Good luck to u!

Thanks! Happy to know I'm not the only person!

My surgery is May 10th & I started out at 220lbs. I'm now down to 213lbs. I get the same thing as you about not being big enough. I hate when people say that... Put 80+ pounds on their body and see how'd they feel then. Good Luck with everything !!!

Wow I'm happy I found you guys. I am in the same boat. I started at 202 and have been on the preop diet for 6 days but I have gained 4 lbs, not sure how that happened. I am 5'2 and always have people tell me I'm not big enough to be considering this. Well I have sleep apnea, gerd, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a hiatal hernia. So people have no idea how I suffer everyday with all these weight related issue. I feel like crap everyday and have little to no energy. Don't let anyone discourage you. You will be ok. I would love to here update on your surgery and recovery. I have 2 weeks to go. I'm not in the "I'm not hungry phase though". I'm still always hungry which is why I know I need this sleeve. liquid diet has helped me none.

I am scheduled for surgery next Thursday, May 8th (NERVOUS WRECK), and am now in the pre-op diet phase; I have two questions: 1. Did anyone just start to not feel hungry after being on the pre-op diet for a few days, like seven or so? 2. Has anyone gone into surgery under 200lbs? I'm not there yet, but fast-approaching; I started out at 233lbs and a BMI of over 40 with comorbities (HBP, Migraines, sleep Apnea, Water retention, gerd, etc.), I'm now down to 208.7, uhhh is this normal? Thanks everyone for your responses! I've been on this site for a short while now, and, have mostly been reading different threads and posts, and, with my surgery date fast-approaching, I realize now, that we all need each other for this support! Feel free to friend me!

I am currently 245lbs and 5-3 and am scheduled for surgery on 6/25. I have used the last few months to change some of my poor eating habits but have only lost about 6 lbs. I am 58 years old and am more convinced that this type of surgery is the only way I will ever be able to lose the 75 lbs I want to lose and keep it off. I have been the smallest of all the people in my nutritionist or surgeon's office but I believe that each individual has their own ideal weight where they look and feel at their optima. I don't care about what some chart tells me, no one knows their body better than themselves. I am tired of people telling me, "you should be able to lose this weight without having this drastic surgery". However, over the past 20 years, I have not been able to lose more than 20 lbs and keep it off. So, my decision was supported by my surgeon and my husband who has watched me battle this demon since he met me. I don't care about a little discomfort or being deprived for a few weeks since I've been dealing with discomfort for a lot longer not having the surgery. I only wish I didn't' have to wait until the end of June.

Best wishes to you and please keep posting about your progress.

My Dr. Said that as long as you have a BMI of over 30 you can have the surgery!

My Dr. Said that as long as you have a BMI of over 30 you can have the surgery!

I am 5ft4" and go between 205lbs-to 214lbs. If I drop below 205lbs my insurance won't cover the surgery. I'm hoping that once I'm given the final thumbs up and a surgery date I can drop below 200lbs by my surgery date. My short term goal is to be at 150-160lbs by Christmas. And by my one year surgiversary date I would love to hit my goal of 125lbs. I cannot wait for surgery and to get the recovery behind me and get to work on being a healthier person. Next year I'd like to go on a cruise with my husband and look good in cute sun dresses and shorts and a suit. I will have the energy to do things with him too. I'm going crazy waiting for July. 6 months feels like forever.

Jdillion our stats are similar. I'm 5'2 205lbs. My surgery is now on the 21st. I'm beyond excited. I have been researching for 3 years. I am looking forward to feeling healthy and having more energy. I feel pretty crappy now. The weight makes me tired and Just unmotivated.

Jdillion our stats are similar. I'm 5'2 205lbs. My surgery is now on the 21st. I'm beyond excited. I have been researching for 3 years. I am looking forward to feeling healthy and having more energy. I feel pretty crappy now. The weight makes me tired and Just unmotivated.

How exciting! You must be so happy to have a date for surgery and beginning your weight loss soon. July seems so far off for mine. I know it will come eventually but for now I feel so gross and wish I was losing.

I had vsg plus surprise hernia repair on 121213 and everyone was telling me I didn't qualify for wls even some staffers in preop and recovery lol

I was approved with zero comorbids at 256 pounds back in oct 2013 -- bmi just about 40

Lost about 22 on my own in time for surgery on 121213 with bmi just about 37

I'm down 65 from vsg in only 5 months and over 88 since oct 2013

Highest weight ever was 293 back in 2009

It's been hard for me with hernia repair and lots of food intolerances but I have more energy and confidence these days than I have had in a long long time

Good luck u sure did start out low