Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! 4 weeks out & priblems eating!

I'm not hungry. I find it hard to drink my two shakes everyday. Somedays not getting enough fluids. I try to eat. Three bites and I'm done. Sometimes when something tastes really good I eat to fast and vomit. I know to slow down. The thing that disturbs me the most is not being hungry.

I go back to work in two weeks. I'm a nurse that works 12 hour shifts. I can't be lightheaded and dizzy at work while taking care of very sick oncology patients.

Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated! THANKS

Keep at it. Always have a Water bottle and a Protein shake near you. Force yourself to take sips often. You now have to think about how to eat each and every meal. I know this will be hard for me. My NUT says to take 20 to 30 minutes for each meal. No TV or reading so that one can concentrate on each and every bite. It’s my understanding that retraining yourself can take several years. My first reaction was 1.5 hours dedicate to eat everyday no way. But after reviewing what I spend my time doing, eating correctly is better time spent.

Omg Karen I am going through exactly wat ur going through. I don't like Protein Shakes so I try to chew little pieces of meat. And if it's something I like I do eat quick cuz I'm still used to that and I have to force myself to vomit as well. I keep forgetting to wait 30 mins to drink my fluids and that also causes me to have heart burn or chest pain . I'm not that hungry and when I am idk what to eat. I'm also a nurse so I kno how u feel in returning to work but my doct want to do the full 8 weeks off. My supervisor won't allow me to go back with limitations. In the hospital there is no such thing in limitations lol

Omg Karen I am going through exactly wat ur going through. I don't like Protein shakes so I try to chew little pieces of meat. And if it's something I like I do eat quick cuz I'm still used to that and I have to force myself to vomit as well. I keep forgetting to wait 30 mins to drink my fluids and that also causes me to have heart burn or chest pain . I'm not that hungry and when I am idk what to eat. I'm also a nurse so I kno how u feel in returning to work but my doct want to do the full 8 weeks off. My supervisor won't allow me to go back with limitations. In the hospital there is no such thing in limitations lol[/quote

How far out are you. At least I'm not alone.

I found that I didn't care for thick shakes after surgery. But I love Syntrax nectar Lemon Tea. I add a little packet of Crystal Light Peach Mango tea to up the flavor. I actually look forward to drinking this every single afternoon!! I mix it with 20 oz of Water and add ice.

I find myself struggling as well. I have to slow myself down and that helps with getting the shake down.no one was a pro when they starting eating post op. Getting into some sort to rou tine always helps.

← POST-Operation Gastric Bypass Surgery Questions & Answers

BariatricPal

»

Portion Control

Like ThisCarms1979Today, 11:01 AM

I had gastric bypass in Feb 2009 so it's been a while. I still can't get this new lifestyle thing perfect. I get sick a lot for eating the wrong things and eating too fast. I want to start measuring my food, but need to know what is my start up amount? Do I measure everything or do I weight everything? How much should I be eating this far out?

Like ThisJanetteHToday, 11:58 AM

Carms1979, on 02 May 2014 - 12:01, said:

I had gastric bypass in Feb 2009 so it's been a while. I still can't get this new lifestyle thing perfect. I get sick a lot for eating the wrong things and eating too fast. I want to start measuring my food, but need to know what is my start up amount? Do I measure everything or do I weight everything? How much should I be eating this far out?

I had surgery in February - I'm about 10 weeks out now. I was put on a "graduated" eating plan, 1 week of liquids only, 1 month of pureed food and now I'm getting to the end of a month of soft food (eggs, poached chicken, fish etc). Then I'll begin to add other foods one at a time to see if I tolerate them. I was told I should only be eating ½ cup food at each meal but recently I've been able to handle close to 1 cup soft food at a time (e.g. ½ cup fish, ¼ cup mashed potato, ¼ cup veggie). I have only thrown up twice (once when I didn't chew long enough and a bit of chicken got stuck, and once when I tried pureed pork although I'm not meant to eat any red meat yet!) I'm losing weight pretty steadily so I recommend you go back to soft foods and eat no more than 1 cup (yes I measure). I believe that's the maximum amount recommended so we don't "stretch out "our pouch. Beware of fat and sugar. Good luck!

Like ThisBaconville54 minutes ago

Carms1979, on 02 May 2014 - 12:01, said:

I am just over 10 months out. I don't think anybody gets this new lifestyle perfect - you can't expect perfection or you will always be dissapointed. That said, I would recommend that you get on MyFitnessPal.com and begin tracking what you are eating. This free app gives you the suggested serving sizes and tracks your Protein and calories for you. It would also help you to know what foods are going to make you sick. My 'for life' plan is about 1 cup of food per meal. My Protein target is 80 - 90 grams of protein each day. The only way to know exactly what you are eating is to measure. I found a great digital food scale at Target for about $25.00, but I know that others have found them online and at other stores. It doesn't have to be expensive, it just needs to be accurate. Go back to the basics, get your Water in, eat protein first, don't drink when you are eating. If you are really struggling, contact your clinic. They should also be able to help you get back on track - its what they are there for! Good Luck!

Carol

Like Thispsu98nittanylioness26 minutes ago

I just had mine Apr 9. I am getting enough protein for sure but not enough cals... I am super lucky to get to 600 cals a day.

I sip all day every few hrs a shake or Soup...but I am worried since I started out with metabolic issues I am making things worse. My endocrinologist suggested this surgery because it has the side effect of resetting metabolism. I am awaiting a call from the doc...The nutritionists look at me like I have 10 heads when I tell them this because most of the patients are getting full cals and still feel hungry...Anyone else have this issue?

Yes, I was sleeved April 8,what you describe sounds very familiar. The whole experience is new and unfamiliar ground at this time but I amlearning as I go. Some days I would be happy to just have my cup of Unjury chicken flavored broth and forget the rest. Regardless I am trying to keep my Protein and liquids up but still the calories remain around 600 a day. I am not complaining, I am thankful for this a new start in my life! Good Luck to you!

Thanks ♡...luck and happiness to you xoxo

Tatiana

Thanks ♡...luck and happiness to you xoxo

Tatiana

I am going through the same things. April 9th was my surgery date. I am not eating/drinking anywhere near what I am supposed to be. Can't keep any Protein Shakes down. I am so weak and now my blood pressure is super low. I have to go back to the dr for that tomorrow. I am so afraid I am going to dehydrate. I am no where near where I thought I would be at this point. I regret my decision to be sleeved. I wish I could go back to normal life.

I understand what you are going through. Perhaps you might have a lot of Fluid and gas from swelling... Absolutely see the doc. Let us know how you are doing....

Hugs, Tatiana