Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

In womens clothing there is no standard. For men, a 38 is 38". But for women, a 14 vary by many inches depending on the clothing manufacturer. I also think over the last 10 years they have taken a lot of liberty with sizes. Some companies have made their sizes bigger, some have made them smaller. Don't go too much by the number or it will drive you crazy. I just bought a pair of 14 jeans from Old Navy yesterday (I dislike ON -- sorry if I'm offending anyone -- but they are cheap and as I'm losing weight I don't want to spend a million bucks) but I can't get my big toe into the size 14 jeans in Bloomingdale's. Go figure.

I think you are so right, Lucy. (We were banded on the same day, by the way!) I wish women's clothes had a standard like men's so we would have a true "measuring stick". Ah well...such is life.

You sound a lot like me, Lucy. I don't want to spend a ton while losing, either, so I buy cheap now...but I'm definitely more of a Macy's or Nordstrom's girl. I haven't tried shopping there since the surgery...when I get another 20 pounds gone, I will go on a shopping spree!

Stef, I think 188 is awesome! And I'd be happy in a 14 at that weight, and I'm shorter (5'8") than you. It's all relative to the clothing though. I'll be focusing more on my BMI when I get near goal and any jiggle of course! :P

I was at Macy's on Saturday, and Forver 21, Ambercrombie, etc.....okay, I love Zumies and PacSun too!! There's no way I'm going to buy myself anything in the Women's department at Macy's.....they actually had that department on the 2nd floor and you had to take the escalator up. Grrrrr! I'm going to be hard core and wear what I have until I get down. I've probably spent 2K in the last couple of months in my excitement of getting my weight down this much, after struggling 15 years and no success. I'm actually thrilled to be in an 18...but I can see the light!

I'm in for the six month pictures. No laughing though. :( Mine will be up Dec 27 since I'm the only person in the world without a digital camera.

I had my first unfill yesterday. Monday's fill ended up being waaay too tight to the point where drinking liquids was kinda rough. Didn't want to give up the feeling of not being hungry though so he only took a little out to help with the acid that seemed to be creeping up in the back of my throat.

Hopefully I'm either at or very close to the sweet spot! YAY!

Eric is my Doctor, Too, Farmer. Nice to meet you. He and Phil the Filler are great about tweaking the band in my opinion. I love the ease of appointments, etc. He is a great doc.

I purchased as size 18W pants from The Avenue (I had a coupon)...and I WAS EXCITED!!!!

I have vowed to wear my "big clothes" until January 1. That will be the day that I purchase new clothes...I asked my friends and family to give me gift cards to anywhere I can purchsae clothes....

When it gets warmer in the spring, I think I'll have a $5.00 sale...pants, tops etc all $5.00....I think it's a good marketing strategy....

I'm not complaining, mind you...but how the hell can I weigh this much and be buying size 14 jeans?!?!? (And Levi's brand...which my thighs were always too big for in years past!) What size will I be if I hit goal weight in another 40+ pounds?!?!? I can't phathom.

Wow Stef... we should all have such problems. Lol!

lucy I have a pair of size 16 Old Navy Jeans that I bought a year or two ago and still had the stickers on them. They were on sale and my sister said they were a great fit. Of course she is a size 8 or 6! I have been wearing them for a month or more now and I love them, but I think I need a size 14, which is so exciting!! When I get to a size 10, I will go for a different type of jeans. I am not a Walmart shopper, but not an expert with designer jeans either. I may need help from you ladies!

GREAT Job everyone. I think I am back on track after a weird weekend. I have restriction and I need to work better with my portions.

I'm willing to buy jeans at Old Navy, but everything else there somehow looks really sloppy on me. I've been buying some other things at Loehman's and the local outlet mall. I also have a lot of clothes left over from when I was a 14 a few years ago. Once I get smaller than that, I'm going to have to buy more. I work in a field where I have to look professional and designey, so I can't cop out too much. eBay and Overstock.com also sometimes have good things to offer. I know places like Marshalls have good things to offer, but I can't deal with digging through racks and piles of clothes. If I'm in a store and I see something I like at a good price that is a size or 2 too small, I might buy it -- have a few things on reserve for when I get to that size. And I WILL get to that size! :)

I have a problem!

As you guys know, I had another fill on Saturday, making .8 in the last 10 days, the first on 11/24 and the second on 12/1. I have been good with following the fill with liquids and then mushies because I don't want a sensitive reaction that causes me to be too tight and have to get an unfill.

Before the first one, I had some restriction, but very little. Only with wrong foods (bread, ,etc) and not going slow, which for me is almost like eating regular, not like many bandsters describe having to eat very slow....chew chew chew......etc. After that 11/24 fill, I had no additional restriction, just the same......but I still had *some restriction.

After my fill on Saturday, I have NO RESTRICTION...at all. I haven't tried to test by eating a lot, but I can tell you I have had a piece of pizza, dry chicken, eggs, cheese....all which would have normally caused a PB or stuck episode. Today I ate at a potluck, a very modest 1/3 of a plate (I'm still trying to be a good bandster), and I waited to get full.....and ate......slow and steady....and waited.....and nothing! HUH????

I am beyond mystified. At this level last month, I was totally closed off and had to have 1.0 cc removed. I called my nurse practitioner tonight, and she said she'd draw out again on the 19th and measure. She did this on the 11/24 visit, and it was all there.

I'm so frustrated (can you hear my frustration?) that I feel like my band isn't working. Frustration is leading to snacking...constantly.

I really need you guys. Help! Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going on with my band? My ARNP said if the band slipped, I would be in total pain and not be able to swallow.

Thanks for hearing me out. :help:

I have a problem!

As you guys know, I had another fill on Saturday, making .8 in the last 10 days, the first on 11/24 and the second on 12/1. I have been good with following the fill with liquids and then mushies because I don't want a sensitive reaction that causes me to be too tight and have to get an unfill.

Before the first one, I had some restriction, but very little. Only with wrong foods (bread, ,etc) and not going slow, which for me is almost like eating regular, not like many bandsters describe having to eat very slow....chew chew chew......etc. After that 11/24 fill, I had no additional restriction, just the same......but I still had *some restriction.

After my fill on Saturday, I have NO RESTRICTION...at all. I haven't tried to test by eating a lot, but I can tell you I have had a piece of pizza, dry chicken, eggs, cheese....all which would have normally caused a PB or stuck episode. Today I ate at a potluck, a very modest 1/3 of a plate (I'm still trying to be a good bandster), and I waited to get full.....and ate......slow and steady....and waited.....and nothing! HUH????

I am beyond mystified. At this level last month, I was totally closed off and had to have 1.0 cc removed. I called my nurse practitioner tonight, and she said she'd draw out again on the 19th and measure. She did this on the 11/24 visit, and it was all there.

I'm so frustrated (can you hear my frustration?) that I feel like my band isn't working. Frustration is leading to snacking...constantly.

I really need you guys. Help! Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going on with my band? My ARNP said if the band slipped, I would be in total pain and not be able to swallow.

Thanks for hearing me out. :help:

I know a fill can "kick in" up to three weeks later, but even when mine did, I had restriction from the start...it just worsened all of a sudden down the line. If it were me, I would go back for more of a fill. You know your body best, and from what you are describing, it sounds like you need it.

As far as slipping, that is my understanding, as well...you would be in total band hell with pain and not being able to eat or drink at all.

Now the biggie in the meantime while you are figuring out what to do is the snacking. Don't beat yourself up over the snacking...you are HUNGRY for pete's sake! I have taken to snacking about 90% of the time since meals are a real pain in the ass for me. (Bonus: I think it is speeding up my metabolism some.) I eat things like seedless grapes, sliced fuji apples with cheddar is a fave of mine, Target has fantastic fruit and nut blends like Almonds and Cashews with dried Cranberries...yum! Just a handful will stave off hunger. And salads are always a great choice. These days I live on salads and fruit and nuts. Since I eat so little, I buy the really "good stuff". I really think I could be a vegetarian if I didn't love salmon so much! Oh, and of course I still do the Protein Drinks and I found a FANTASTIC Protein Bar, too, with 30 grams of Protein in it. I have tried so many others and found them to be chocolate dipped sawdust, but these are YUMMY. (They taste like someone added a later of Peanut Butter to a 100 GRAND candy BAR! You should LOVE this one, SUZZZIE!) This new one is awesome and really makes two meals because its so big.

I wish you luck O2B! Only you can decide what to do, but I would SO be running for another fill to make this band do its' job!

I'm not sure that I would get another fill just yet. Wait about 2 weeks. During the wait time, log everything that you put into your mouth...everything....any exercise...and take that with you to the doctor. Then you two can discuss the amount that you're eating and he may have a solution....don't know what it is...but...it's just what I think...

I was right with you--remember??? we were both too tight...I got a slight unfill....While I can eat, it's not nearly as much as I would LOVE to...

Steph,

chocolate Dipped Sawdust! Hilarious. That is exactly it - you are a master with words. Yeah, what the hay is the name of that bar.

I too am a snacker, as a "meal" is impossible. And still have less than 900 calories a day, but keep the machine burning with high Fiber fruits like you. Seems to be working fine, I'm losing.

Thank you! I appreciate the input so far....but....I am wondering why my band is acting like this. I agree I need a fill. But, why am I going backwards with these two fills I just had? I am wondering if I didn't have a slip or a fold when I got closed off, and the unfill released it? So mind boggling and FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope it's not a leaking tube......or another complication.

Stef, what is that bar?!!!!!! Inquiring minds you know.