Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Sheila: I felt restricted before but thought that a little bit more might take the in between eating out of play. I'm still only on liquids and go to mushies tomorrow but I've noticed a huge difference. I almost want to say that I feel like I'm too tight but I want to give it a few days to adjust. If it's too much I'll go back in for my first unfill.

I am at 1.5cc in a 4 cc band and I get things stuck all the time and pb often. If I eat slowly though I can eat a lot at a sitting. I haven't been losing weight in a while. I am afraid of going for a fill because I do not want to pb more than I am now.

Different amounts of fill for different bodies. My understanding is it depends on the size of your stomach and how the band fits and then how much of the fat around your stomach (organ) you lose making it necessary to adjust/fill as you lose weight. I have the large 10 cc VG band because it obviously fit better. This band is more finicky and takes more adjustments (supposedly). I seem to be more sensitive to fills, so I have taken a couple of steps backwards (unfills) and am having to be less aggressive in my fills. I think this is the reason most doctors do tiny adjustments, so they won't put you at risk for dehydration or band slippage, and so your body and eating habits can adjust. I don't know if that all makes sense, and this is just my take on it, that there is no "one size fits all" approach to fills. :)

That is my understanding, as well, O2B. I don't recall how much fill I have...I think 5.3 or somewhere in that neighborhood. I can not imagine getting another fill anytime soon, if ever. I'm very restricted. If I eat slowly, take small bites and chew, chew, chew...I have a CHANCE of not getting stuck. It really takes a lot of attention, which I don't always give it, thus why I get stuck so often! LOL We will see how I feel when I get to 165...that's my "evaluation" point to see if my goal of 145 is going to be realistic. I'm beginning to think it won't be doable since I am already in a size 14 Levi's. I think I'm too tall am adding too much muscle to ever see 145. But that is STILL my goal until my body proves it unwise!

Hey, O2B! And EVERYONE, for that matter! If you haven't seen this, it is a good little bit of confimation on our understanding of the band/fill process. I hadn't seen it before and thought it was a good share if y'all haven't seen it, either.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f73/how-lap-band-actually-works-fills-refills-45563/#post630148

Thanks for the info Stef. I remember seeing that some time back, but forgot about it. It's good to keep reminding myself of the basic principles of lap banding.

You seem to have hit a stride after getting under 200....finally! :D I'm happy for you. I wish I'd stop getting too tight to swallow Water and having to go back and forth. Grrrrr! You'll be at goal very soon, girlfriend!

The 'residual fat pad' thing confuses me. I guess it's a layer of fat over the stomach??? I've seen an operation on youtube and there was fat there. It wasn't a huge amount however. Didn't seem like enough to affect restriction.

My fill seems to wear off a lot after about 10 days (every time). It's very disappointing and costly. It doesn't lose so much restriction to lead me to think I have a leak or anything. I guess it's just the swelling going down.

I went to a bandster X-mas party last week and a few people were surprised I could eat fruit, pickles, raw vegetables, crackers etc. A lot of them reported that they can't eat Breakfast. I always can.

I guess as long as I'm still losing and getting adequate nutrients I shouldn't worry. I'd hate to be a liquids/mushies only bandster.

bigbaby GREAT NSV, looking good in our clothes is a great boost!

farmerE that is funny, but I can understand about the confusion, it is hard to keep it all straight. I am glad you have it all cleared up.

sheila I think everyone is VERY different. The band size, weight, etc. It is different for everyone, and it changes for each of with every step! It is very hard to compare.

Stef you look great and agree with waiting to define the goal end weigth until you feel your way to that point. I would think 145 would be harder to maintain. I am 5'7-5"8 and I know 145 is a great weight to get to, but I always had difficulty staying tehre, 155-160 was more realistic. But, hey the band may open up more flexibility!

Fill yesterday!! I am a bit depressed and can understand how some of us are on the emotional rollercoaster! I am up to 201 from 197!! I don't understand how I can't lose and gain instead! According to the docs records, I lost 2 lbs, but that is from October 8! I know that some of it is due to choices nad lack of exercise, however I don't eat large amounts of food either??

I have been having problems with food getting stuck and the NP took out my 6cc and put back the same saying that I did not need anymore. She showed me my upper pouch and it was a bit enlarged and asked if I was having heart burn? I said no. then mentioned a hernia? I did not ask enough questions. Any thoughts?

We talked food choices, measuring and not eating bad foods because I can't eat what is on the dinner table. she is right. I really need to get my butt working.

well, need to run to work. take care all!

O2B - Yes, "finally" is RIGHT! It's going pretty steady right now, knock on wood. Thanks for the encouragement!

Java - Thank you for the compliment! But hubby always makes me look good! LOL Seriously, thank you. And it's nice to hear someone agrees with sticking with the initial goal with an evaluation point! Everyone around me, particularly the men in my life (hubby, grampa, dad, son), are saying STOP LOSING and it drives me crazy! Thank you, thank you!

Good Morning & Happy Wednesday, everybody! Wednesday-2.gif

Fill yesterday!! I am a bit depressed and can understand how some of us are on the emotional rollercoaster! I am up to 201 from 197!! I don't understand how I can't lose and gain instead! According to the docs records, I lost 2 lbs, but that is from October 8! I know that some of it is due to choices nad lack of exercise, however I don't eat large amounts of food either??

I have been having problems with food getting stuck and the NP took out my 6cc and put back the same saying that I did not need anymore. She showed me my upper pouch and it was a bit enlarged and asked if I was having heart burn? I said no. then mentioned a hernia? I did not ask enough questions. Any thoughts?

We talked food choices, measuring and not eating bad foods because I can't eat what is on the dinner table. she is right. I really need to get my butt working.

well, need to run to work. take care all!

I feel your pain on the gain! I don't know how often you weigh, but I'm still obsessed with daily weighing. Okay...multi-daily weighing! And I can literally go up three pounds a day, only to go down four the next. And my scale is digital and I re-weigh and everything! So, overall there is gradual losing going on. If you aren't weighing yourself very often, or just at the docs, you may have caught yourself on an "upswing" day and you may be fine. Just a thought!

No matter what, you are making great strides overall! Don't let a plateau get to you too much like it did me! It's not worth it! Your body will let go and start losing again when it's right. It's just never fast enough for us, though, is it?

We love you and are here for you to rant to!

Stef, you look so great! a size 14!!!

OMG! I remember the first time I was ever aware that clothes had a 'size' to them... I was about 9 or 10 years old and was with my Aunt and she was going to buy me the cutest long purple coat I'd ever seen. I tried on one and she said it was too small and asked the lady for another 'size' and then the lady asked 'what size' and my aunt said 'I guess a 14 would do.' - Yeah. I was a 14 when I was like 10. When I graduated high school in 1995 I was a size 24... by 1998 I was a 28... in 2003 I was in a 30, and then by 2006 I was a 32. Ugh!!!!!!!!!

Today I am a 26 in pants. So this is amazing for me. I weighed this morning (on Wednesdays I log my weight in my BodyBugg program) and my digital scale said 305.something... I didn't believe it... so I weighed again. This time Iw as 307.3... didn't believe it, so I weighed 2 more times and was 307.something all three times, so thats what I marked in bodybugg and my ticker! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?!?! That means I've lost nearly 75 pounds in just under 6 months! I love my lil band!

Suzzie, congrats on your weight loss to date! I started in a size 24 heading to 26 and now I'm an 18 on the bottom and 14/16 on top. You will be there soon. Good job on your weight loss to date!

Suzzie

Congrats on the AMAZING WEIGHT LOSS...How many calories are you getting in a day? What's a typical daily menu like for you?