Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

DROP THE NUTS! Sure, they are full of protein... but they are FAT! Basically, the band does not stop some foods for some people. I can still eat Ice Cream (cause its melts) and I can eat as much chocolate and Cookies and such as I want. Basically, those are my 'red flag' foods. I either don't buy them, or if I do it is in small quantities so I can't over-do it. Sounds to me like you are going to have to self-police the nuts for yourself. The band can't do it all for us... gosh darnit!!

Although, with a tight fill like I have today, I can only manage 4 macadamia nuts chewed well. They are too full of fibre. Nuts are my problems food too (well, that and chocolate). Raw, unsalted nuts are a healthier option. Every one of us has a trigger food where we just can't stop. I guess our 'eating issues' don't go away in a hurry either.

something I don't understand is some people can't eat some foods at all, while others can eat as much as they want. Now if insubor can only manage to eat 4 nuts, once I get to my sweet spot should I only be able to eat a few as well? I don't know why some foods work for some people but not for others. It seems to me if your tight your tight, I don't understand why it differs from person to person. Does anyone know why?

I have diverticulosis, so I can't eat nuts at all. Which is bad because I love nuts, but great because it keeps me from eating them. Now when I bake Cookies or a cake (I always seem to be baking something for a dinner party or whatever) I always put nuts in them so I won't eat them, either.

I digress. Nuts have good fat in them but when you are trying to lose weight, it's not just about the good fats. It's about the big picture. If you can eat 1/4 C of nuts every other day, then you are fine. But if they are a trigger food that you can't stop eating, it's better to avoid them altogether. Good fats very easily become bad fats. Ice cream is my trigger food. I can eat a LOT of ice cream. So I don't buy it any more at all. Out of sight, out of house, out of mind.

something I don't understand is some people can't eat some foods at all, while others can eat as much as they want. Now if insubor can only manage to eat 4 nuts, once I get to my sweet spot should I only be able to eat a few as well? I don't know why some foods work for some people but not for others. It seems to me if your tight your tight, I don't understand why it differs from person to person. Does anyone know why?

It is very weird... but thats just the way it is I guess. Like, I can eat bread (I don't though) but I can't eat a friggin salad to save my life - STUCK every single time! I can't eat eggs no matter how they are made - instant PB. Cottage cheese makes me slime every time. Now, that stuff is good for you! But I can still eat Ice Cream, cake and cookies...? I don't WANT to be able to eat that! :faint:

Self control is hard, but its worth it.

You might definitly need a fill though! I say go for it! If it ends up being too much then you can have it taken out.

When I am at home I don't eay many nuts at all. but when I am at work on a boat with 15other people we get food by the case. Case ice cream, case of nuts, case of candys, case of everything your could think of and the only thing I am having a hard time with is the nuts. I know alot of people don't buy the stuff so they don't eat the stuff but for me it's not that easy because I am at work for 28days at a time and I can't tell the cook what not to order.

I have lost a lot of weight but if something goes wrong and I start putting weight back on I will quit and find another job.

I confess...I have a nut problem too. I'm glad I don't have to be around them all the time though! Maybe you can designate someone the nut-police on the boat for you? I know it's annoying, but my hubby polices stuff like that for me. Also, if you were self-pay...are those nuts really worth $15000? Hope that might help?

I cannot eat bread or eggs. I stay away from chips because I can eat chips(at the mexican restaurant) and not feel full at all. I don't like ice cream. Even before the surgery if I ate Cookies or cakes I get a migrane headache and feel lethargic so I stay away from them. Red meats get stuck also. I havent had fast food restaurant food in 2 yrs. Nuts, Pasta also get stuck.

I have 3 daughters and because of my weight problems I have never kept junk food in the house about once per month I will let them have some junk food and on their birthday. I know they get tons of it at school so why bring it home too.

I am a nutaholic as well. My dietician recommended that i eat 10 almonds a day when I could not get my calories up to the required amount. However the numbers kept increasing and increasing and as I also bought nuts for my family I started dipping into their nuts as well. Well Friday night I lost it completely and and must have eaten about 4ozs. So Saturday I fasted, so I hope I have redeemed myself. It looks like I will have to get the nut-police in as well.

I think they are substitutes for my sweet tooth. Good Luck Danbo with your withdrawal issues.

thank you guys for all your help with all of this. I don't eat them everyday but when I do eat them, it's alot. But today is a new day (nut free) and I not going to even look at the damn nuts.

On another note: I don't really know how to find a goal weight. The BMI chart tell me to get under 162LBS I am down to about 175lbs and when I look at myself I sometimes think I might be getting alittle to small. I sometimes think I should just try to stop losing and stay 170-180 and other times I think I should shoot for the 160. My lapband doc said to get down to 160 and my Reg doc told me to stay 175-180 I trust both of them so I don't really know who I should listen to. Anyhow this is just one more thing on my mind.

Capt. - My lap-band doc suggested a weight that was nearly 50lbs more than the BMI chart told me. He put me on some kind of maching that measured all my stuff (muscle, bone, blood, fat, tissue, fluid) and it spat out this long reciept like paper with the report that told me what it measure and what I should weigh to be healthy. I near fell over when it said I what I should weigh to have a 25 BMI! I questioned the nurse about it and she said "Honey, you haven't been lieing all these years, you really ARE big boned...and muscled too." I think I may go under the suggested weight (212) just to say I weigh under 200lbs for once in my adult life. I would say, do what you feel comfortable with. If they didn't put you on one of those machines, maybe ask if they could? That may give you more insight.

I hope y'all will disreguard all the typos...sorry.

thank you guys for all your help with all of this. I don't eat them everyday but when I do eat them, it's alot. But today is a new day (nut free) and I not going to even look at the damn nuts.

On another note: I don't really know how to find a goal weight. The BMI chart tell me to get under 162LBS I am down to about 175lbs and when I look at myself I sometimes think I might be getting alittle to small. I sometimes think I should just try to stop losing and stay 170-180 and other times I think I should shoot for the 160. My lapband doc said to get down to 160 and my Reg doc told me to stay 175-180 I trust both of them so I don't really know who I should listen to. Anyhow this is just one more thing on my mind.

Just get to the weight that you are really comfortable with. Don't focus so much on the numbers - but more on how you feel and how you feel you look. :) And we all feel that you look like a hotty!! Woot!