Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Woo woo...if i could've weighed 150 8 months after my surgery, i wouldn't have had surgery. Am i misinterpreting messages? It seems like thinner people are having surgery. I always thought it was for those of us who were morbidly obese. Not that i deny anyone anything...

Well, I am in the 150s now at 7.5 months.

I get what you are saying but the fact is that I qualified for surgery with a bmi of 35 with comorbid conditions. My surgery was covered 100% by insurance.

I don't think you feel this way, but there are some out there that seem to think that those if us that are "only" 60 to 80 pounds overweight are not deserving of an effective and lasting treatment.

I happen to disagree. :P

It may be counterintuitive, but the truth is that outcomes are better when patients don't wait until they reach the much higher bmi to seek surgery.

@@woo woo

I have to agree with you. I'm at 213 right now, and I know that may not sound really obese to a lot of people, but to me it is. I don't want to wait until I'm 250 or 300 to have surgery. When I told my husband what I wanted to do, he said, "well, I would think that would be a last resort." Well, that is where I feel I'm at, the last resort. I don't want to try "another" diet. That is what got me where I'm at now. I went on Dr Gann's Diet of Hope. Yes, I lost 30 lbs, then I had shoulder surgery and it slowly crept back up, plus a bonus 10lbs.

Also, I do have co-morbidity problems that add to the problems.

I know I'm not going to get back down to 125, I don't really want to get that low at this age. I'm going to let my body dictate where it feels the best. I just need the tools that surgery will give me.

Toler48 the surgery wont stop u from gaining. Ive been sidelined with arthritis in ankle and back and other surgerues during these years since my vsg. Eachbtime i have fained and struggled without exercise to get back on track. Ive succeeded but u should never think because u had the surgery that u can 'relax' your vigilance. We can...and DO gain weight.

Do you find you can eat more volume now than say, 6 months post op? I know I've read where the stomach can stretch back out again.

Toler48..min a word...yep!

Ok, met with Dr Monash this afternoon and I'm on track! I've started my 4 month period required by Medicare, so surgery will be in Sept sometime.

Really like Dr Monash, he explained everything so well. I really liked the staff people that I met today.

My daughter and a good friend (a recently retired TMC nurse) were there and asked their own questions also.

He said that the sleeve is what he would recommend for me, so that was a relief since that is what I want.

And so it begins!

i am so happy for you, and the months will fly by, Im in a slump right now and haven';t lost a lb for a few weeks..

Glad to hear your on your way. Yes the time will go by quickly.

What exactly is the 4 mo period required by Medicare?

Ok, met with Dr Monash this afternoon and I'm on track! I've started my 4 month period required by Medicare, so surgery will be in Sept sometime.

Really like Dr Monash, he explained everything so well. I really liked the staff people that I met today.

My daughter and a good friend (a recently retired TMC nurse) were there and asked their own questions also.

He said that the sleeve is what he would recommend for me, so that was a relief since that is what I want.

And so it begins!

@@Sherry S

Medicare requirements for surgery:

I have to go in and have a medically supervised weigh in once a month (for the 4 months), and I can't lose any weight during that time. Yes, that's right I can't lose any weight. I laughed and told them that that probably wouldn't be a problem.

Then there is the Psychological Evaluation, one visit.

I have to meet with a Nutritionist 2 times pre-op and 2 times post-op

Then there is the Cardiologist clearance and sleep study (I'm hoping I can do the sleep study at home)

Lots of hoops to jump through but it will be worth it.

Ok just the normal hoops before surgery. I didn't realize that some call it by that. I had similar hoops w/psychological etc visits. I was asked to loose weight. So go figure why one center wants people to loose weight and one doesn't.

You'll do fine and this time next year will be a new person.

@@Sherry S

Medicare requirements for surgery:

I have to go in and have a medically supervised weigh in once a month (for the 4 months), and I can't lose any weight during that time. Yes, that's right I can't lose any weight. I laughed and told them that that probably wouldn't be a problem.

Then there is the Psychological Evaluation, one visit.

I have to meet with a Nutritionist 2 times pre-op and 2 times post-op

Then there is the Cardiologist clearance and sleep study (I'm hoping I can do the sleep study at home)

Lots of hoops to jump through but it will be worth it.

yep i had to do all that pre stuff too . but you do learn a lot and they are just making sure you are ready and able to go through operation and be prepared for the diet.. after the operation i felt like i was re born hahah and now i have 2 birthdays the one i was born with and the day of the operation

Newbie here. I posted an introduction in another forum but I want to say hi here.

I am 67 and have just registered for a Weight Loss Seminar on May 22. I changed PC doctors and upon seeing that I weighed in at 385 pounds, she suggested I look into weight loss surgery. After much research, that is just what I am doing. My old PC physician just watched me get fatter and fatter and fatter and all he ever suggested for over 5 years was eat less and exercise.

I should have done this many years ago. When I retired at 64 (health problems), I weighed around 300 pounds. Here I am, 3 years later, 85 pounds heavier, nearly "chair bound" due to excess weight.

I have Medicare and AARP Supplemental Insurance that pays whatever Medicare doesn't for Medicare approved things. Hopefully it will be most everything. Has any other Senior dealt with this combination of insurance?

I am a bit scared but more excited to get all this started. My husband is as excited as I am. We hope to be able to enjoy our Senior years very soon!

God bless,

Louiseppp

@@LousPeachy

Hey LousPeachy, great to get a new member! Where in Texas do you hail from? I was raised in Dallas and Hubby was raised in Houston.

I have Medicare and United Health. I'm getting covered by Medicare. Our UHC doesn't cover bariatric surgery, which is foolish.

It's a process of hoops to jump through but hang in there, you'll be fine. Everyone in this group is super nice. Ask any questions you have and one of us can probably answer.

Hang in there, Patsy! Your weight loss will start up again soon!