Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got my surgery date!!!! October 30th. So excited. Need to schedule my pre-op testing, and then I'll have my final before surgery visit with my surgeon on October 23. I was informed that I don't have to be on liquids for 2 weeks prior to the surgery - only 24hrs prior. I'm so crazy excited it's nuts! I've been in a little bit of a funk worrying about the procedure, but I'm hoping that I will see a difference the first three weeks out before I go back to work.

I got my surgery date!!!! October 30th. So excited. Need to schedule my pre-op testing, and then I'll have my final before surgery visit with my surgeon on October 23. I was informed that I don't have to be on liquids for 2 weeks prior to the surgery - only 24hrs prior. I'm so crazy excited it's nuts! I've been in a little bit of a funk worrying about the procedure, but I'm hoping that I will see a difference the first three weeks out before I go back to work.

This time will fly! That is a little over a month. Promise me you will not overbuy. I still have so much junk in this house I never used, Protein powders, liquid shakes, FF Soups, unjury Soup and powder, etc. Was told to stop the shakes at 3 months, that I was eating too much Protein. I went to the grocery store 2 days after the sleeve so you will not be laid up I promise. You can also shop online at Amazon for things, and vitacost for Vitamins. We never told anyone except our daughter about the surgery. We had slow weight loss, my husband and I, and just said the truth, we were eating healthy to get healthy. Best wishes.

Hey...enjoyed reading your path to surgery. How did it go for you? How u doing now?

Thanks again so much - SleeverSue and others for the encouraging words. I have the surgery in less than a week and I'm really excited - and my husband is scared. He's been so supportive, but he's so afraid something will happen to me in surgery. My girlfriend, ( whom I didn't know until a few years ago when she began dating my ex {we're all really good friends}), had a very successful gastric bypass over 10 years ago is coming to sit with him to calm him. For some reason, I'm really not worried about the surgery. Maybe because I've been through so many surgeries - and I'm not expecting this one to be quite as painful as the others. Has anyone found it really painful? I'm 68 and have about 100 or even more pounds to lose. what I'm really looking forward to is being able to walk (so far, I've gone 1/2 mile every day) without having to stop to take breaths. I picture myself doing these high intensity workouts and doing Zumba with my mom. She's 95 next month and is such good shape. She still does kick boxing, Zumba, etc.

Anyway, does anyone have suggestions about what they wished they had brought to the hospital that they didn't?

Hope all of you are having a great day!

Yippee!!! Less than a week 19sweetness69, it will be here before you know it! Don't take much to the hospital. You don't need it. They even gave me toiletries though I had my own. You get the gowns of course, and special slipper socks to wear so you don't fall. I didn't need anything extra. Just your personal hygiene items that you prefer. I did take pants that were my biggest so I could get them on over my tummy which will be quite swollen when you go home. You will be filled with IV fluids and will go to the bathroom a lot when you get home.

The pain is totally managed through the iv till you go home too and will have meds to control it after that. I did not have hardly any pain from my stomach at all.

Just to let you know how great you will feel later. I went away with my hubby for a few days last week and for the first time for as long as I can remember, at least 27 years, I walked first day a half mile round trip to a light house on Lake MI, then the second day a one mile hike to one in Ludington, MI and finally a 1.4 mile hike the third day in Ludington State Park. My husband could not believe it. My energy kicked in at about 2 1/2 months after my surgery. I started back to the pool this week and can do an hour and I walk every day. It is SO amazing, I can not stop sharing how great I feel.

68 y.o. here. Am 3 1/2 weeks post-op.

Yeah, we all have some anxiety pre-op. But in the end, my surgery and recovery was pretty easy, I thought.

I'm betting you'll do great.

Important thing is to have an excellent surgeon. I was lucky there, too.

Well I'm 67 and waiting on a call for my sleeve surgery. I'm sure it will be in October 2014. I'm a widow and live with my 2 best friends Zoe and Zeus. My 4 legged babies.

I was wanting the bypass but do to being a high risk my Dr. would only do the sleeve.

I have several health issues and am looking forward to shedding 30 plus years of excess weight. My big fear is getting and keeping the weight off long term. This surgery just doesn't have any long term data to rely on.

ladybug,

Congrats on starting your WLS surgery.

I hope you find the benefits and peace you're looking for.

68 and renewed my lease on life!

Edited by LindafromFlorida

Ladybug, I'm 65 and loving my sleeved life! I'm 11 months out and still losing. I've passed the surgeon's goal as well as my goal. Best decision ever!

ladybug47, I think you will actually be much happier with the sleeve. With the by pass there are some foods you can't eat and you can have diarrhea frequently too. With the sleeve eventually, you can eat all foods again, just in small portions.

Thanks for the support. Time will tell. I don't want to eat all foods again. Gave up rice, potatoes, Pasta and bread when I started this journey. The challenge will be to never eat these foods again. I've done good so far and lost 33# since I began but it hasn't been easy.

It will never be easy. I'm 69 and had vsg 2011. U never can gp back to potato bread Pasta comfort...NEVER. I think of simple carbs as monsters.

15 month checkup today and have gotten better at maintaining my 132 pounds lost. Size 10 is loose. Still a lot of back pain but I have dumped the cane. I figure if I fall now, someone should be able to help me up, instead of calling for two firemen.

Almost 68 years old - not a whole new life, but definitely a new lease on the one I have and love.

Spent an entire lifetime fat. I can only wonder why. What is there about my physical/psychological profile that kept me imprisoned inside that mountain?

Ladybug I am also 67 having the sleeve in October don't have the exact date yet

I am really hoping to get off of some of my meds and get healthly