Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone -

I'm fairly new to this site. I was just 68 years old. I had been thinking about getting the gastric sleeve for a while, but while my husband was working, our insurance didn't cover it. He lost his job and we're both retired with Medicare - and Medicare covers it as long as I qualify as an inpatient. So I've been through all of the requirements and I am scheduled for Sept. 16. I'm very excited and would appreciate any likes or dislikes regarding the Protein drinks. I have had 5 replacements - 2 knees, 2 hips and 1 shoulder. I still have 1 shoulder to go - but I'm waiting on that for a while. I have at least 100 lbs. to lose, so I am very committed to this. Any suggestions from you would be great.

I like Premier Protein in the carton. When we were making the shakes, since I hate MILK, I liked EAS Protein powder from Walmart, and my husband, who likes milk, liked Bariatric Advantage powder. We are 67/68 years old.

I like Premier Protein in the carton. When we were making the shakes, since I hate MILK, I liked EAS Protein Powder from Walmart, and my husband, who likes milk, liked Bariatric Advantage powder. We are 67/68 years old.

Well tomorrow I see my surgeon and will find out if he will let me have surgery he doesn't like to do surgery on people over 65 I have did most of all the requirements just a few more appointments left to do so hopefully surgery will be in October

Well tomorrow I see my surgeon and will find out if he will let me have surgery he doesn't like to do surgery on people over 65 I have did most of all the requirements just a few more appointments left to do so hopefully surgery will be in October

There are people older than me who have had the sleeve so find another surgeon so you can keep living. God Bless.

Wow VSGAnn2014...reading your words was like hearing my own in my head. Up to the part where you had the surgery...I haven't had mine yet. Hopefully within the next 4 to 5 weeks. I have to say it was helpful. I am 63 and I'm a little worried about how I'll feel and look post op.

How was the surgery? You should be two days out. Are you still in hospital?

Hey @Sandstress ... I'm out of the hospital. And I didn't die.

ROFLMAO!

Went in at 6:30 am Monday morning (was #2 on the lineup) and left the hospital at 4:00 pm Tuesday afternoon. Surgery was easier to deal with than I'd imagined. I didn't flip out. I thought the surgical team, surgery recovery team, and nursing teams were fantastic.

Doc said he wished everyone's liver looked like mine. (So proud!)

Day Two post-op (Tuesday) at home was bit of what I imagine a standard VSG post-op W? T? F?!!! day was like. I also napped and napped and napped. But I was surprised at how well I could sip Water and sip Soup and slurp yogurt.

However, today was a much easier day emotionally. And I'm sipping and eating even better today. And I haven't needed to nap at all. I feel pretty good for having had 80% or however much it was of my stomach made redundant.

I know this dealio will have ups and downs. But I'm already sort of (ahem) jazzed!

(I'll probably collapse tomorrow. :))

Edited by VSGAnn2014

Way to go Ann! Hoping you have an event free recovery!

There are people older than me who have had the sleeve so find another surgeon so you can keep living. God Bless.

Saw my surgeon today he will do surgery on me even though am past 65 so surgery should be in October I am so excited

That's great Lindalue! There's lots of over 60's who have been extremely successful - and I plan on being one of them!!!

SO happy to hear you are getting your surgery. I had my three month anniversary on Thursday and have lost 50 lbs. I saw my surgeon yesterday and my PC today and both are thrilled with my progress and especially how my health has improved. All of my blood work was normal!!! And the Dr. today said she is going to move the decrease of my insulin along quicker. Instead of going down one unit at a time, we are going to start going down two units. I was taking four injections for a total of 106 units per day and am down to one injection of 19 soon to be 17!! I could not be happier and you will love your sleeve too!

the best decision of my life after marrying my husband of 44 years! I am 65 soon to be 66 and you will not regret this.

I wanted to post an update. I was three months last Thursday and have lost 50 lbs!! i haven't felt this great in many, many years. I also had the best vacation in 24+ years with my family a week before that. I have never had so much energy. I am able to increase my exercise, am sleeping better, got all good numbers on my blood work and moving down on my insulin every week and I could go on and on. It is FABULOUS!!! I have a new lease on life!!!

That's fantastic! Wow - 50 lbs - you are really doing great!

Thanks lilijo! To me it is a miracle. My health is improving every week and I am thrilled!! I can't encourage everyone who has not had their sleeve done yet, to get it done. You will never regret it. At about two months I noticed a big change and it just keeps getting better and better. What is so remarkable is I have had fibromyalgia for over 27 years and could barely move at times. The energy is just unbelievable. I still have a ways to go, but to feel this great is incredible. There aren't enough words to fully explain how great I feel. My family and especially my husband can not believe it. Hopefully, I can soon get rid of my cane and won't need it to steady me when I take walks.

That's wonderful, sleeversue! It's only going to get better!