Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

oh yea and as far as Protein, i tried a lot and found that primear Protein was the best one for me and has 30 grams of protein in one shake

Oh, hell. I had surgery at 68 and healed like a teenager.

Had a very easy recovery (and a GREAT surgeon, which helped so much, I know).

And I'm feeling great 7-1/2 weeks post-op.

Oh, and had gall bladder surgery 4 weeks post-op, too.

Did great with that, too.

We're older, and we have more insurance!

Just got surgery date October 23 two weeks from today I am freeking out so much to do we leave the 1st part of December to winter in Texas then will only be in Texas a few days and have to fly to Montana for granddaughters wedding I hope I will be up to all of this I will only be 5 weeks post op

Oh I also forgot to I hit Onederand yesterday and surgery hasn't gotten here yet

lindalue, I went on vacation at 5 weeks and did fine. You will too. You have a number of food choices by then and just plan ahead and take foods with you.

So excited for you!!

Thanks everyone seeing I don't have support with this at home you are such a big help and comfort. Any tips on what I need to do to get myself prepared it's going to be hard food is my best friend but the psychologist feels I will do fine

I am 67 and had my sleeve surgery on Sept. 10th. I am down 30 pounds so far. Even just losing that amount has made a great difference. My bad knee feels better. I went on a half-mile Nature walk at a local park. Just enough excercise for now. I hope to get better.

I had no gas pains after the operation. I find it somewhat difficult to get in all my Protein and Water, but I am determined to follow instructions.

Prior to surgery, I had to take many tests. Cardio. Pulmonary. X-Rays. Scans. It is great to know I am now in pretty good shape. The tests I took now form a baseline for tests I have in the future. Medicare covered all tests and also the operation, since I have three co-morbidities: High Blood Pressure,High cholesterol, Severe sleep Apnea. I love my CPAP machine. Brain cells die when they do not get enough oxygen. I hope losing weight will improve all of my co-morbidities. So far, so good. My blood pressure appears to be lower already.

Medicare has only been covering gastric operations for weight control since January 2013. I guess they figure by taking the weight off, it might forstall the need for knee and hip replacements and therapy, and maybe even heart attacks and strokes. Good call. My advice to all people over 65 on Medicare who are thinking of a sleeve gastrectomy to help with their co-morbidities is to look into bariatric procedures while they are still covered by Medicare.

Congrats to all the 65-and-overs who have had this surgery of late.

I'm just being as compliant as possible. Protein, Water, moving, no drinking with meals, etc.

With my own pre-pre-op diet, the pre-op diet, and post-op losses, this morning I was down 40.5 pounds.

In a few more pounds, I'll be halfway to my goal of 150 pounds. Haven't weighed that since my 30s.

And yes, I'm pretty sure reaching and staying at 150 pounds will delay or possibly even forestall knee surgery for me, too.

My take on this surgery right now is that it's a freakin' miracle!

Edited by VSGAnn2014

So glad things are going so good for you. You are doing a fantastic job. It just shows you are never to old to make changes can't wait for the 23 to get here so my surgery will be over.

I am 67 and had my sleeve surgery on Sept. 10th. I am down 30 pounds so far. Even just losing that amount has made a great difference. My bad knee feels better. I went on a half-mile Nature walk at a local park. Just enough excercise for now. I hope to get better.

I had no gas pains after the operation. I find it somewhat difficult to get in all my Protein and Water, but I am determined to follow instructions.

Prior to surgery, I had to take many tests. Cardio. Pulmonary. X-Rays. Scans. It is great to know I am now in pretty good shape. The tests I took now form a baseline for tests I have in the future. Medicare covered all tests and also the operation, since I have three co-morbidities: High Blood Pressure,High cholesterol, Severe sleep Apnea. I love my CPAP machine. Brain cells die when they do not get enough oxygen. I hope losing weight will improve all of my co-morbidities. So far, so good. My blood pressure appears to be lower already.

Medicare has only been covering gastric operations for weight control since January 2013. I guess they figure by taking the weight off, it might forstall the need for knee and hip replacements and therapy, and maybe even heart attacks and strokes. Good call. My advice to all people over 65 on Medicare who are thinking of a sleeve gastrectomy to help with their co-morbidities is to look into bariatric procedures while they are still covered by Medicare.

Hi Coco I am with Dr Bass as well, just in pre-op looking forward to having my date set. is there anything you can offer in the way of help that I might need to know.

Hi i am also 67 having surgery on Thursday it's so nice to know that things went so well for you I am starting to get scared and anxious any tips for me

Hi i am also 67 having surgery on Thursday it's so nice to know that things went so well for you I am starting to get scared and anxious any tips for me

My surgery is not until the 26th. I am so ready. but if it was so close I would be scared and anxious a well. I will be thinking of you and keeping you in my prayers. Just think of the better life you are going to have.

lindalu, you are so close!!! I am so happy for you! It is normal to feel a little scared. I was too, but I kept looking forward to how much better life will be and how great I will feel and people tell me I look. It is all worth it! Keep telling yourself, I AM WORTH IT!!!!

How is your liquid diet going? SF popsicles and fudgesicles kept me going before, after, and still now. I eat them everyday. Like the crunch!

Just some tips for after the surgery: Walk, walk, walk, and sip, sip, sip. I found Water, and my Protein Shakes got me through. I also ate a lot of yogurt. I also had a hernia repair and soothing foods helped with that, because I had some extra pain at the top of my stomach.

Now four and half months out, I can eat most anything without any problems.

One huge tip is: do not let yourself get constipated. I use Miralax every day. I ended up with a sciatic nerve problem because I got constipated. We eat more Protein and less fruits and veggies so you can have this problem. We talk about it all the time at my support group meetings because it affects so many of us. So get yourself some and use it in your Protein Drinks every day. this won't affect you until you are a week out. You will be on mostly Clear Liquids for 5 days or so depending on your surgeon.

Lindalu, keep us updated and I will be praying for you that your surgery goes smoothly, your recovery as pain free as possible and your new journey begins on Thursday! WOO HOO!!!

Hello, Bouff,

Dr. Bass and his staff are beyond excellent. Totally understanding and respectful. They have everything down pat. My hospital stay was practically painless due to good meds and Dr. Bass' technique.

I brought a robe but did not have to wear my own nightgown - just the hospital nightgown. You get booties so you will not need slippers, except to go home with. The robe I needed because they make you go for walks as soon as possible. I wore Depends and needed it because surgery does strange things to my ability to hold my Water. Things are much better now. ;)

You will not feel like eating anything although you will get broth and Jello in the hospital.

Before surgery I told EVERYBODY - the doctor, the anesthesiologist - the nurses - that I get nauseous with surgery. The anesthesiologist put an anti-nausea medicine in my I.V. during the procedure. It worked for me!

Post-Op - I got prescriptions for nausea and acid reflux. Stomach hurt after surgery but was better because of meds. My incisions are practically invisible by now. I went back into my pool - to exercise - a couple of weeks after surgery. I did not overdo exercising as I am an old bean. Ask Dr. Bass when you can get some exercise in.

I like the support groups that Dr. Bass provides. Stick to their advice, especially his nutritionist, post-op. Prepare yourself to have your tastes change. Those sweet Protein drinks might taste very, very sweet post-op. It is hard for me to get them down now - and I was a sugar freak. I bought Vitamins from Dr. Bass because I was not sure what kinds were good. I bought extra Biotin for my hair. Prior to operation, get and prepare Jello and buy Protein drinks and chicken broth (I made my own chicken Soup and froze it in ice tray cubes so I could access them quickly).

Dr. Bass and his staff have done so many of these procedures (Vertical sleeve gastrectomy) they really know how to handle everything. Dr. Bass is outstanding. Go along with the program - they know what they are doing. :D

Hello, Bouff,

Dr. Bass and his staff are beyond excellent. Totally understanding and respectful. They have everything down pat. My hospital stay was practically painless due to good meds and Dr. Bass' technique.

I brought a robe but did not have to wear my own nightgown - just the hospital nightgown. You get booties so you will not need slippers, except to go home with. The robe I needed because they make you go for walks as soon as possible. I wore Depends and needed it because surgery does strange things to my ability to hold my Water. Things are much better now. ;)

You will not feel like eating anything although you will get broth and Jello in the hospital.

Before surgery I told EVERYBODY - the doctor, the anesthesiologist - the nurses - that I get nauseous with surgery. The anesthesiologist put an anti-nausea medicine in my I.V. during the procedure. It worked for me!

Post-Op - I got prescriptions for nausea and acid reflux. Stomach hurt after surgery but was better because of meds. My incisions are practically invisible by now. I went back into my pool - to exercise - a couple of weeks after surgery. I did not overdo exercising as I am an old bean. Ask Dr. Bass when you can get some exercise in.

I like the support groups that Dr. Bass provides. Stick to their advice, especially his nutritionist, post-op. Prepare yourself to have your tastes change. Those sweet Protein drinks might taste very, very sweet post-op. It is hard for me to get them down now - and I was a sugar freak. I bought Vitamins from Dr. Bass because I was not sure what kinds were good. I bought extra Biotin for my hair. Prior to operation, get and prepare Jello and buy Protein drinks and chicken broth (I made my own chicken Soup and froze it in ice tray cubes so I could access them quickly).

Dr. Bass and his staff have done so many of these procedures (Vertical sleeve gastrectomy) they really know how to handle everything. Dr. Bass is outstanding. Go along with the program - they know what they are doing. :D

Thanks for the info. I am so ready. The Doctor and his staff really impressed me and continue to do so with every meeting. I was taking Biotin and zinc prior to this so I will probably continue. I have a whole shopping list of things to buy. I have found protein drinks that I like and am going to get some Isopure this week to see what it is like. Did you have you surgery in Naples or Lee. Thanks for the insight. I am sure we will talk again.