Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone - I, also, find it inspiring to read all of the 65+ comments. I will be having my surgery on Sept. 16 - so I will begin the liquid diet on Labor Day. I'm still trying to find the best tasting high whey Protein drinks and chicken broths. Any suggestions?? I have had in the past 10 years - 2 total knee replacements, 2 total hip replacements and one total shoulder replacement. I waited until my daily living chores, etc. were so debilitating that I couldn't do anything. Although painful, the hip replacement is the least painful. Each one of the surgeries requires diligent physical therapy - but it's certainly worth it. I was just 68 and went to my doctor yesterday. He said to expect to lose only about 75 lbs. I came home thinking that maybe I should go for the bypass so I could lose more, but so many of you have lost more that it is encouraging to me. My BMI is 48 - so I hope it will go down to the 20's by this time next year.

You sound like a tough nut to me.

Go for it!

:)

Wishing all of you the best for future surgery and post surgery. Life is so good after the sleeve. I have more new clothes than I have had in 10 years, and I love getting dressed up and going out. I love my husband telling me every day how good I look. I honestly had one bathing suit, black, for 20 years (barely worn). Now I have 20 new swimsuits and loving them all. I can tell you I am a great bargain shopper because I can walk without pain in the mall now. I also do not gasp for breath, and do not need the asthma inhalers now.

Linda,

I hear you re walking without pain. I am a newbie (today is Day Eleven post-op), but I've lost 25 pounds to date.

This morning, I was walking (without pain, shockingly!) and realized when I'm through with this I'll be carrying ... 60 FEWER POUNDS!

I can hardly imagine what walking while carrying 60 fewer pounds will feel like. I might be able to fly! To soar over the ground never touching it!

This will be the biggest WLS miracle of all. To move my body rapidly without pain or restrictions. For me, it's the ultimate benefit of this whole shebang.

Ann

Edited by VSGAnn2014

Also want to respond to the type of surgery you are considering 19sweetness69. I would not do the by pass because of the terrible problems you can have with dumping and food problems. I LOVE my sleeve. No food issues, can eat anything and the weight loss between the two from what my surgeon said is minimal. You will lose approximately 65% of your weight with the sleeve, but I've been told if I stay on the program my body will continue to lose until it stops where it is comfortable and best weight for you.

Linda,

I hear you re walking without pain. I am a newbie (today is Day Eleven post-op), but I've lost 25 pounds to date.

This morning, I was walking (without pain, shockingly!) and realized when I'm through with this I'll be carrying ... 60 FEWER POUNDS!

I can hardly imagine what walking while carrying 60 fewer pounds will feel like. I might be able to fly! To soar over the ground never touching it!

This will be the biggest WLS miracle of all. To move my body rapidly without pain or restrictions. For me, it's the ultimate benefit of this whole shebang.

Ann

Ann, I always equate 5 lbs lost to a 5 lb. bag of sugar, 3o lbs. would be carrying 6 5-lb. bags of sugar. I have lost 60 lbs, and it is an amazing difference. Good luck.

VSGAnn - you're doing GREAT!! You're right - one step at a time. Sounds like you have good control. Keep it up.

Thanks Sleeversue - I appreciate your comments. I had thought about it briefly - until my son (a G.I./Liver doctor) absolutely said no to the bypass. As he said - no matter how much weight you lose, it's still a win. I've been on my doctor's program for 3 months and have lost some weight - and beginning Labor Day, I'll be on the liquids - so that 65% will be looking pretty good. I appreciate your advice. Have a great Labor Day week-end.

Good advice from your son 19sweetness69. I have done a lot of reading on the immune system because I have fibromyalgia and I didn't want to lose any of my small intestine for that reason. I know some have to have it because that it what insurance will pay for, but I was so happy last June when Medicare started covering the sleeve. Have a Labor weekend yourself. We have four grandkids spending the night. I never thought I would like it, but I always make spaghetti when they come over and I ate my sauce with spaghetti squash. It tasted really good.

LindafromFlorida, so happy to hear about your weight loss and great news about the lessening of your pain. Mine has lessened too in my knees. Totally a miracle as you said. I even asked my daughter to go shopping with me this weekend. I have done very little shopping in the past 15+ years. I just buy online when I have to. I have to go to the store and try on some pants to see what size I need. Doing the happy dance!!

Edited by sleeversue

Welcome! There are a lot of people here in the 60s and 70s. I am 68 and loving life 100% more than ever. The difference in my life in one year is amazing! Best wishes!

Welcome! There are a lot of people here in the 60s and 70s. I am 68 and loving life 100% more than ever. The difference in my life in one year is amazing! Best wishes!