Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Silly Hospital Clothing Questions

My date is April 22nd (Yay!), I am getting ducks in a row and preparing for the hospital stay as well as the week or two after. I am making a list of what I need and one question has me stumped! And it's super silly...

What is the best style of jammies/comfy clothing to wear in the hospital? I am wavering between:

~ jammie pants and a t-shirt: comfortable, warm and the waistband could hit right at incision spots

~ Cotton nightgown or sleep shirt: Easy, no restrictive parts and could hinder access to drain/ tubes etc.

So...Ladies...Which worked best :)

I didn't wear anything but the gown I put on before surgery. There was no way I would have been able to put any kind of top on with the IV's, and I didn't care to put pants or underwear on as I didn't want yo pull them off and on every time I went to the bathroom. I wore home what I wore there.

Wear the hospital gown they provide. That's what gives the health care people easiest access to your incisions plus any drain sites, catheter, etc. When you leave your room to go walking, just put another one on facing backwards. That way you won't accidentally flash anyone.

If you are going to need or want a bra, bring one that is a cotton sports/leisure type bra that fastens in front. Depending on your surgeon's technique, you could well end up with incisions right where your bra hits, which is really uncomfortable with a standard type of bra. Definitely no underwires!

I got lucky. My highest incision is a good 3 inches below the girls. But even still, I i didn't care to wear the sports bra home, that I wore there.

And yes, I also just used a second gown as a robe.

Edited by Sarahjane79

I just wore the hospital gown until I left and wore what I went in back home. I took stuff with me but never even thought about attempting to get it on over all the IVs and stuff. Now when I got home, I found my coziest pajama pants and shirts and that felt good!

I wore maternity yoga pants under my gown. They were super soft and comfy. I wore them home too.

Thanks for posting this question! My surgery date is 4/23 and I was wondering, as well. After reading this, I'm just going to go with the hospital gown duo, as well. :)

I wore comfy sweat pants and a t shirt, but I didn't have a hospital stay.

I can say most hospitals would prefer you wear hospital gowns- easy access for nurses to do their job. :)

I brought comfy pjs but never changed. I was hooked up to the IV pole the whole time and just didn't see worth my effort. They had bariatric hospital gowns which were ginormous so I didn't need another to cover my backside. Also provided us with robes which I wore just for comfort and warmth.

I wore a big flowy dress to the hospital and home. I threw my bra in my suitcase for the ride home. The only thing I used was my ChapStick and toothbrush and toothpaste. I also brought and used my phone charger. I didn't bring a computer because I didn't really care to turn one on. Pack lightly! I got a cough buddy bear for holding when I cough so used it under the seatbelt. Bring a pillow if hospital doesn't give you anything.

I also stayed in the gown they give you with a second around the back for walking... so much easier.

I brought all of that stuff but let me tell you why you may wanna wear gowns provided. When you get up to use restroom it's a bit hard with IV pole so the last thing I wanted to do was fuss with underwear and pants. Then on my last night the hole where my drain came out started leaking and it was gross so glad it was on their gown. Gowns are generous, put one forward and one backward, you will probably not care if you have underwear on or anything else so make it easy on yourself.

I also just wore the gown. I did bring a robe and wore that. I too wore home what I wore there. I really didn't use anything I brought. Good luck!

I bought pj's and packed a bag with my kindle and a book. I never touched anything in my bag but the chap stick. The hospital gave me anti gas medicine through the iv, I couldn't put pj's on because of the iv's and I didn't care at that point. I slept more than anything and if I wasn't sleeping I was walking.