Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery is 23rd... I am doing or trying to do my 2 week pre-op diet (i'm having one egg a day in place of a shake cause they make me gag).

I am all for the surgery...I sped through the process like a freight train (about 2 months)... I don't know if it's the feeling that I'm failing at the pre-op diet or because the date is so close by, but suddenly I'm so scared. What if I have a clot, what if I have internal bleeding.. What if I'm starving, what if I can't take care of my 2 kids... Do I really need this? I will never be able to indulge again...

I'm so scared and it's making me panic with anxiety...

Please tell me this is normal and that I'm not crazy. I suddenly feel that If I had will power I can do this on my own.....But we know that's not gonna happen, and def not at 40. I can't even stick to a damn pre-op diet, what makes me think I can stick to anything else.

I'm so sad, scared and confused....

Hey Hun! Perfectly normal to feel like this! U are not alone I'm due on May 1st and I'm so scared too. Then I think of the alternative the complications with being this overweight the shorter life expectancy I'm just getting started in life I'm 31 no kids I feel like I'm 18 still anyway I digress. I have tried all my life to lose weight and be at a healthy weight and I might stick to say a Meal Replacement diet sure for how long? A week? Two weeks? A month? And then what? Put it all back on and then some right? And then jump on the next thing that comes a long and repeat.... The surgery is going to change my life for the better because I don't have an out once it's done it's done :) do I have my doubts every second of every day and I'll probably still have my doubts right up until the moment they put me under and that's ok too... I'm scared of complications too but the life long complications that come with morbid obesity are a lot worse.... I hope I helped u...basically all I wanted to say is it's ok the be scared and u are not alone in ur fears and doubts xo

Hopefull2loose2014,

This is very normal. I think we all went through this. I know I did. I am 46 and have a 9 year old and I was scared also. I have to say that spending the two weeks prior getting ready was very important to me. I made sure my home was clean, stocked and I made lists for my husband and sister. I had it set up that my son could stay with my sister and mom if anything made me stay in the hospital longer. I have to say that I was a bundle of nerves the 2 weeks prior but the night before I was kind of excited and by the time I got to the hospital I was so ready to be done.

Now flash forward 8.5 months later and I have lost over 100 lbs. I have no sleep Apnea or high blood pressure etc. I am so happy and have changed in so many ways. Not just weight but new job and a new healthy life style.

Now here comes the nagging. You must do what is best for your surgery to HELP aid to have a successful surgery. You can and you will drink those Protein shakes because you need to get through this short period to ensure you did everything your doctor asked you to do. You can do this!!

I am typically the calmest, coolest person around and I was a basket case for at least three weeks before the surgery. I created every negative scenario in my mind. I had a racing heart, flushing of my chest, insomnia. Well I am happy to say that it is over, it was a very uncomplicated surgery. I am 6 days out and feeling AMAZING!

You MUST drink the Protein Shakes and must get used to getting in the required Protein everyday if you want to see good healthy results.

Everything you are feeling is normal. You will be fine and in a year from now so incredibly happy that you took the opportunity to improve your life.

Yes, all the anxiety is totally normal. I consider myself a pretty rationale person and I was crawling up the walls ahead of surgery.

Does the preopp diet / surgery process suck? Yeah, kind of. But so what? I'd equate the whole process to having a bad flu. You're knocked out on the couch for a few days and can't eat what you want for a while. If I told you that you would have improved lifelong health, physical ability, confidence, appearance, etc, etc in exchange for going through the negatives of a 3 week flu, would you do it? I would (and did) and am only upset that I didn't do it sooner!

Hello Everyone,

I am in my 3-month pre-op phase (as required by my insurance). I have not received an exact surgery date yet, we are guessing in July (*or August, depending on how long it takes for the insurance approval process).

I can relate to what has been shared. I am very excited and looking forward to my surgery date, but I am also fighting the 'nagging negative thoughts of what ifs..." I do think that is normal, but also frustrating.

I am thankful I saw this post, (please don't misunderstand me, I am not happy about others going through struggles or sadness etc.) It truly shows how we are not the only ones going through these thoughts etc. (though sometimes we feel that way)

Though I am not as close to my surgery date (yet) I have been battling many thoughts and fears.,,,

lately it has been the "what if this does not work" *as crazy as it sounds, that truly has been in my mind.

It is good to try to remember that, as with many things, this is a process and it is going to take effort to combat the negatives that come to mind (all the 'what ifs, as well as trying to keep from thinking of "the fears of complications or failure")

It is also good to remember and know that we have the support of others who have been or are going through this same process. This is truly helpful the community, support and encouragement.

II am still new here, but please feel free to call on me as a "buddy' (so to speak) on the same journey.

Hope I haven't rambled too much.... lol...

Sincerely, Angi

Hello Everyone,

I am in my 3-month pre-op phase (as required by my insurance). I have not received an exact surgery date yet, we are guessing in July (*or August, depending on how long it takes for the insurance approval process).

I can relate to what has been shared. I am very excited and looking forward to my surgery date, but I am also fighting the 'nagging negative thoughts of what ifs..." I do think that is normal, but also frustrating.

I am thankful I saw this post, (please don't misunderstand me, I am not happy about others going through struggles or sadness etc.) It truly shows how we are not the only ones going through these thoughts etc. (though sometimes we feel that way)

Though I am not as close to my surgery date (yet) I have been battling many thoughts and fears.,,,

lately it has been the "what if this does not work" *as crazy as it sounds, that truly has been in my mind.

It is good to try to remember that, as with many things, this is a process and it is going to take effort to combat the negatives that come to mind (all the 'what ifs, as well as trying to keep from thinking of "the fears of complications or failure")

It is also good to remember and know that we have the support of others who have been or are going through this same process. This is truly helpful the community, support and encouragement.

II am still new here, but please feel free to call on me as a "buddy' (so to speak) on the same journey.

Hope I haven't rambled too much.... lol...

Sincerely, Angi

Angi

Hi hun we r in same boat but I have no idea how long my pre op stuff will take my insurance company will not talk to me but I know it's between 3 to 6 months. I'm scared constantly n I keep thinking hey I can do this on my own but I know I can't cuz I've tried so many times over.

I am one week post-op and let me tell you that YES it is all worth it! The pre-op diet sucks but you just have to do it!! I had to be on the full liquid pre-op diet and it was hard and was more of a battle with myself. I would find myself in the kitchen and stare into the fridge. You have to really battle those internal demons during those 2 weeks. I lost a total of 18lbs during those weeks and I felt so proud of myself for sticking with it. I had to cook for my family and it was not easy...I found that when I felt like I may cheat I would go brush my teeth. Nothing tastes good when your mouth is minty fresh. We all have fears but mine were more about what if I didn't have the surgery. Diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, chronic pain, early death...These fears far out weighed my fear of surgery. I am feeling great and am starting to get back to daily life. You are going to do great, be positive and believe in yourself!!

I really needed to see this thread right now. I'm on day one of my preop liquid diet and feel like crap. My head hurts, my body is starving and these Bariatric Fusion shakes are disgusting. I feel like crying. Luckily I have a very supportive family who wants to help in any way. Hopefully I don't make them all hate me this week.

I really needed to see this thread right now. I'm on day one of my preop liquid diet and feel like crap. My head hurts, my body is starving and these bariatric fusion shakes are disgusting. I feel like crying. Luckily I have a very supportive family who wants to help in any way. Hopefully I don't make them all hate me this week.

Take a walk, a nap, sit in the sunshine, anything to change your focus. Count those blessings and know that this is so worth it. Find a hobby. Clean a closet. Do something. It works, Jamie. You have kids - play with them.

I'm having doubts and don't have a surgery date. I was at my daughter's softball game this morning and one of the coaches was asked how much weight he has lost, he had sleeve last year, he answered 115 lbs. I know I need to have the surgery but I'm afraid of complications too.

Completely normal! I was a basket case but now at just 12 days post-op, I can already say this is one of the best decisions I've ever made!

I am one week post-op and let me tell you that YES it is all worth it! The pre-op diet sucks but you just have to do it!! I had to be on the full liquid pre-op diet and it was hard and was more of a battle with myself. I would find myself in the kitchen and stare into the fridge. You have to really battle those internal demons during those 2 weeks. I lost a total of 18lbs during those weeks and I felt so proud of myself for sticking with it. I had to cook for my family and it was not easy...I found that when I felt like I may cheat I would go brush my teeth. Nothing tastes good when your mouth is minty fresh. We all have fears but mine were more about what if I didn't have the surgery. Diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, chronic pain, early death...These fears far out weighed my fear of surgery. I am feeling great and am starting to get back to daily life. You are going to do great, be positive and believe in yourself!!

Congratulations on your new start! Thank you for what you shared, I am going to remember the helpful tip about brushing your teeth in moments of when you feel you may cheat. You are so right nothing tastes good after a minty fresh mouth.

Also, I can relate to what you shared about this being worth it to keep on pressing forward. I have many health issues that truly are a battle, I look forward to gaining better health and having a better quality of life... (as my current conditions are hindering all of that) I look forward to a new beginning for me.

My surgery is 23rd... I am doing or trying to do my 2 week pre-op diet (i'm having one egg a day in place of a shake cause they make me gag).

I am all for the surgery...I sped through the process like a freight train (about 2 months)... I don't know if it's the feeling that I'm failing at the pre-op diet or because the date is so close by, but suddenly I'm so scared. What if I have a clot, what if I have internal bleeding.. What if I'm starving, what if I can't take care of my 2 kids... Do I really need this? I will never be able to indulge again...

I'm so scared and it's making me panic with anxiety...

Please tell me this is normal and that I'm not crazy. I suddenly feel that If I had will power I can do this on my own.....But we know that's not gonna happen, and def not at 40. I can't even stick to a damn pre-op diet, what makes me think I can stick to anything else.

I'm so sad, scared and confused....

Try a different Protein powder I went thru at least 6 till I found one I like and try the sugar free coffee flavors, now I have trouble in am I am almost 3 months post op with anything cold, I make a Protein coffee soy latte that I love and it contains 32 protein. Don't forget the sf Jello that help me a lot. Best of luck, and remember you are worth it.