Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone, I just wondered if anyone out there is having any trouble consuming wine? I don't drink hard alcohol and have a beer everyone once in a blue moon. I feel like I'm some type of an alcoholic when I drink wine. Who should I go see? I have sever memory loss and never have a hang over. I'm very scared and need to talk to someone. Any suggestions??? Thanks!!!!

Yes Linda you are right I am very non specific. I had gastric sleeve surgery in January 2012. Let me state I was only a social drinker prior to surgery. I was told to wait till July 2012 at the earliest to consume any alcohol. Things were fine when first introducing a glass or two ....then €&€t hit the fan as of January 2013. I keep telling myself I'll just have 2 glasses, but then I get to feeling euphoric and then it goes downhill. I know I made a huge decision to loose weight ( down 93 pounds) and knew it would be a lifestyle change... However I never knew the chances of be abusing alcohol would be so great 2 years post surgery. I welcome all comments and suggestions! Thank you

Edited by jumpseat747

Talk to anyone, a parent, best friend, therapist, pastor, a doctor. You are very non-specific but if you have a problem please talk to someone.

Hello everyone, I just wondered if anyone out there is having any trouble consuming wine? I don't drink hard alcohol and have a beer everyone once in a blue moon. I feel like I'm some type of an alcoholic when I drink wine. Who should I go see? I have sever memory loss and never have a hang over. I'm very scared and need to talk to someone. Any suggestions??? Thanks!!!!

Just the fact that you reached out here is amazing. You are sure to get lots of good advice. Good luck to you.

Hi Jumpseat,

Memory loss or "black outs" are a sign of a problem. Sometimes we trade addictions, food for alcohol or another substance, when our lives change so dramatically. Big congratulations on your huge weight loss. You're much more of a "light weight" when it comes to blood alcohol level than in the past. Speaking from experience I suggest you see your doctor or a therapist to evaluate where you are and maybe where you are headed.

Best of luck

i agree with all of the above...as for me, I have chosen NO ALCOHOL at all... wasn't much of a drinker beforehand, was usually the designated driver because of it :) ... I don't see any benefit in having "drinks", for me, it's wasted calories and carbs... but from what you have said, you need to seek some help before it gets out of control!

Good luck to you!

How about getting to on AA meeting. Show up sit in the chair and listen. Sounds like you have a problem that needs some attention. Do the work nobody else can do it for you. Cross addictions are very real.

It is widely known here on the forums that I attend AA meetings. As SooCalChic suggested, going to a meeting or two is a good start. Talking to your Dr is another. If you would like to PM me, I can also offer some guidance in your local area.

Cross-over addictions are very real. There was a reason why you abused food and where you used to turn to food, you are now turning to alcohol. Getting to the root will be the source of serenity for you.

I know for myself, alcohol wasn't my problem, I was. How I dealt with my emotions and how I channeled my thinking just wasn't healthy. I got sober years prior to my surgery and have continued to work on myself. I am a never ending project!

Edited by PdxMan

Like my sister said once, we are all addicted to something, be it food, alcohol, nicotine, drugs, and so forth. I am from a family of many alcoholics, so I have seen what alcohol can do to lives, then drugs affected my family. I never drank until I was almost 50, and I can tell you it was a great mind numbing drug for me when I was dealing with my son's drug addiction problems, and then he died, and I still numbed my pain and sorrow. . When I went for the sleeve, I was not so sure I could quit my nightly 3-4 drinks, but I wanted this sleeve so bad that I did it. I do not know how I did it. I am just thankful that I did. I often felt I could never stop the nightly drinks, that I was an alcoholic too. You have said I have a problem, and I know from things I have heard that that is the first step. Please call a local AA, or find a meeting. I believe they appoint mentors to talk to you. Or talk to a therapist. Or talk to me, to us. God Bless you. We will listen and we will not judge you. Here's a big hug!

Thank you so much. I appreciate all the comments. I have beat breast cancer. I just feel like since my body changed things are different. I don't wake up wanting a drink.... It's just when I drink wine it hits me very different than the old "me". I'm off Monday.... Guess I have my work cut out for me. Thank you to all! I'll keep you posted!

I haven't had my surgery yet but my nutritionist told me that drinking can be very dangerous after the surgery because our bodies just can't process the alcohol like it used to. She said I could get drunk after just a bit of wine. She warned this was a slippery slope. I happen to love wine, so this is something I'll have to deal with.

I come from a long line of addictive behavior. My mother died from prescription drug abuse. I have always been overcautious in all matters but food , and now I'm getting a handle on that. My husband and I previously enjoyed wine as a hobby, belonging to tasting groups, seeking out new wines etc. We've probably toured more than 100 vineyards.We usually had a glass with most evening meals. I stopped any alcohol on my pre-surgery diet and I'm surprised that it doesn't bother me when he has his wine with meals now. I don't mind being the designated driver when we are out with friends. I'm relieved to see it's going pretty easily. My doc and NUT say no wine until July for me and I will approach it very cautiously when I do thanks to the warnings I've seen here.

I had a very near disaster driving home the other day -- a car that was heading for me overcorrected at the last minute and flipped the car on the other side of me. Both cars were totaled and I heard later that people were life-flighted out. The minute that I recognized I was OK - even with my heart pounding out of my chest - the first thing I wanted was to stop at a restaurant and "pull myself together "(actually eat something to calm me down). When I talked myself out of it, I had a strong need to go to my local bead shop. I do seed beed and other jewelry design as a hobby, but have noticed my materials stash is really been filling up since the surgery. When I get tense or frustrated I head to my studio room. Doing it definitely soothes me and likely is a substitute addiction. But the good news is beads don't take up much space and my friends, family and I get some great gifts out of my "safe" obsession.

But I'm watching myself on my tools and materials spending with weekly limits. Having an addictive personality, no matter how much support and/or therapy you have means always walking a fine line.

@jmgtexas I'm a beader too! We recently moved and everything is everywhere!!! I definately need to get it together so I can keep my hands busy... I also have to de-stash on etsy...too much stuff!!! LOL...so I feel ya, kid!

<p><span style="color:#800080;">@<span><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' class="" href='http://www.bariatricpal.com/user/207519-jmgtexas/' title=""><span><strong>jmgtexas</strong></span></a></span> I'm a beader too! We recently moved and everything is everywhere!!! I definately need to get it together so I can keep my hands busy... I also have to de-stash on etsy...too much stuff!!! LOL...so I feel ya, kid!</span></p>

De-stashing would be harder than dieting for me. I have a design of person in mind with everything I buy! Of course if I lived to be 156 years old I probably couldn't make it all!