Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

gallbladder removal and upset stomach/diarrhea?

I had revision from band to sleeve in November 2013 and last Monday needed to have my gallbladder removed during an emergency surgery. Since then I have had an upset stomach and ongoing diarrhea. Anyone else experience this?

what were your symptoms? I have been having bad pain right under my sternum and it goes into my back but it is at no specific time it just happens and sometimes it will go away in a few hours and others I will throw up and then it will be gone. I was wondering if it is my gallbladder or gas.

Honestly, I thought I had the stomach flu. I had nausea and vomiting and horrible gas. I thought maybe trapped gas? But then the pain got really bad and I knew it was something more serious..... whether it was gallbladder or possible bowel obstruction. Thankfully, it was just my gallbladder. But now I'm having serious diarrhea.

You will have those lingering symptoms for a while. Some people even report having phantom gull bladder pains. They will resolve just give it some time. I also had my GB removed and I had symptoms for a fee weeks post op.

I had severe, unexpected diarrhea for about a year after my gall bladder removal, and that was before my sleeve (talk about fun!!!) anything and everything could set it off. I did find a website finally that told me to take a calcium citrate 3x a day because it is excess bile in your digestion tract since the gall bladder is no longer storing it and shooting it out as needed. The bile is supposed to cling to the extra Calcium and solidify. It took a week or two, but it did help tremendously.

what were your symptoms? I have been having bad pain right under my sternum and it goes into my back but it is at no specific time it just happens and sometimes it will go away in a few hours and others I will throw up and then it will be gone. I was wondering if it is my gallbladder or gas.

That sounds like it could be your gallbladder. Go into your PCP and they will order an ultrasound. I have similar symptoms for a few weeks. It was gallstones. When I finally went in, I went downhill fast. I had scheduled my gallbladder surgery and then within a few days, I had to move it up 3 weeks because I got so sick.

I wouldn't wait. I ended up with emergency surgery and would have much rather had a planned surgery

That sounds like it could be your gallbladder. Go into your PCP and they will order an ultrasound. I have similar symptoms for a few weeks. It was gallstones. When I finally went in, I went downhill fast. I had scheduled my gallbladder surgery and then within a few days, I had to move it up 3 weeks because I got so sick.

Me too. 8 months out from sleeve and had to have my gallbladder out on Feb 20th 2013. I am very lucky no bad bathroom stuff. I do take probiotic once a day. I try to limit my fat which we should do for healthier life style anyway.

I wouldn't wait. I ended up with emergency surgery and would have much rather had a planned surgery

Yes I was lucky to be able to wait. From my initial meeting with the surgeon to the surgery ended up only being 1 week, rather then the planned 4 week wait for spring break.

To answer your original question, I was told eating too much fat would most likely cause diarrhea. He said it can take 1-1.5 yr for your body to relearn how to digest fat and regulate that enzyme without your gallbladder. I haven't had any issues, but I have been eating extremely low fat. Really helps me make good choices to think of the possible consequences when my coworkers bring in things like donuts :-)

A couple of people said they follow a low fat diet to deal with the stomach issues after gall bladder removal. What is the guideline you follow? How many fat grams? It is a very rare day if I eat more than 25 grams of fat.. Not sure how much lower it could be

I had my gall bladder removed this past Friday. Was having pain in the right side under my rib cage and also through my mid back. Now, I just have to deal with a little discomfort from the incisions and a tiny bit of pain in my shoulder from the gas used to expand the belly during the surgery, both of these being very common. My diet has been low fat since I was sleeved in Dec 2013, so I do not need to change it much. My system is still getting back to normal from the surgery (anesthesia) so I am not sure how I will react if I eat a high fat food in the next week or two. Guess I can only experiment and find out, but I am not running out to get a piece of fried chicken to just see what happens either. :D