Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing pounds but not sizes

Hello all,

I am 3 1/2 months out from surgery and the weight loss has been going well- about 45 lbs so far and steady weight loss so I am totally satisfied with the progress weight loss wise. What is less satisfying is that, while I have been losing pounds on the scale and while my measurements have gone down some, I am still the same size I was SIXTY pounds ago! I was a size 22 at my heaviest at 296 lbs and, while those 22s have gotten looser, I still look like a sausage stuffed into a casing in the size 20s I am able to get into and I can't even get into some 20s yet. I see a lot of people comforting people who don't see movement on the scale by saying they are probably losing inches even if the scale isn't moving. Does anyone have the opposite problem? I see all these success stories about people losing 30-40 lbs and several dress sizes and here I am, sixty friggin' lbs later and barely down a single dress size. It's really discouraging.

I dont have this problem, well not yet anyway. I just wanted to say you have done amazing so far and I hope it turns around for you soon. I know that I was in a TIGHT 22 and am now comfortably in a 22 and that too 20 pounds but I am a shorty.

Good luck on your journey.

I had same problem i was in size 22 pants with starting weight 330lbs. My pants size didnt change i think until i lost almost 60lbs and i went to size 20 and now 81lb loss i am in 18 losely. I hope this helps. I think our hips are last to get the message we lost weight but the first to put it on:)

Hello I hope that you will not let the size discourage you. I hope your size you wear now is getting much looser. Hopefully you are not having the issue that I heard of in support group. Sometimes after shedding pounds we will still see ourselves as having and not realize our body has really changed.

Yes it does take time!! And you are most likely losing weight all over not just on spot!! So in the long run it will be better you will be fine and congrats !!

Hang in there! in 8 or 9 months from now you will be amazed at your transformation! I dont know why but I do have periods when I lose inches and not pounds and then pounds with little inch loss. But over time it is all going down so Celebrate your victories however they come! You are doing great!!!

I have lost almost 30 lbs and am still wearing same jeans. Granted they can now be be buttoned without struggling and laying down and the butt and legs are sagging but I feel the next size down will just be too small.

Hang in there, girie! I had to lose 65 lbs before I went down from 22's and then I just skipped over 18's and 16's and went straight to 14's - now wearing 12's comfortably. Don't know what it is with some of us but it's like the actual fat is hanging on for dear life but you WILL get there. Just stay with the program and keep up the faith - it will happen. I KNOW it's discouraging to hear about how fast some of these other people move through the sizes but it really does feel fantastic when you do finally start going down!!

Yes, I have the same issue. I've lost close to 80 lbs & I've only gone down from a size 22/24 (depending on the brand) to an 18/20. Things are mostly loose but that is still pretty crazy. I'm 5'7" & don't ever really expect to see a single digit pant size, but if you consider that I've lost a little over half the weight I need to lose- from 289 to 209, that's just not right! I'd like to land somewhere lower than a 14 if possible. Think the rest of my weight must be coming directly off my belly & thighs only- I'm fine with that!

When looking at sizing charts, plus size clothes are made for a larger range in measurement- meaning the bust measurement difference in a 22 vs. a 20 can be 2-4 inches. Whereas the bust measurement in missy clothes range from 1-2 inches. Essentially, it takes less change/ weight loss to go down a size the smaller you get. Initially it took me 30 lbs to lose a size, now 5-10 lbs equals a dress size for me.

It will happen. Then you can be like me! RIght now my 14's are getting too baggy, but my gut tends to hang out of the 12's. I just donated 4 bags of clothes that are too big and make me look frumpy, but now I've got NOTHING TO WEAR!!!!!

It will happen and before you know it, you'll be buying a new pair of jeans EVERY week because the ones that fit nicely last week are too loose and baggy.

Please don't take offense at this question. Were you squeezing into your 22's pre surgery? Maybe that's why they're just fitting loosely now?

I'm in the same boat! I've lost about 50lbs (pre-op diet and post op). I can't even tell! So frustrating. I want my clothes falling off!

Blondiee,

I was probably straining the top end of a 22 at my heaviest. They weren't button popping, but they were pretty tight and I'm sure that being at the top of one size is partially the reason why it seems to be taking longer to go down a size. And things are finally loos enough that I think I am at least within 5-10 pounds of a new size so it's not like there's no end in sight. I think I just got down a little bit down seeing so many people talking about how drastic their body transformations have been when they have lost fewer pounds than I have. I'll get there though, I'm sure, and I'm grateful to everyone who replied with encouragement and support!

I'm the same way, I've lost 34 lbs and I'm still wearing the same clothes. Granted they're looser now. A lot of my clothes were slightly stretchy I believe that's why I still fit them, they were snug before. Also I think bigger size clothes have a bigger weight range they fit as opposed to smaller size clothes