Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any April Sleevers?

I was sleeved on 6/25 and for the most part, things have been good. I'm in Phase 2 of pureed foods but having some difficulty getting any pureed meats down, so I've been relying on eggs, Soup, yogurt and Protein drinks to get me by. Trouble is, I have very little energy and my job is quite demanding mentally, and my concentration is not where it needs to be. I took about 8 days after surgery off, but maybe I should have taken another week. I'm functioning but just barely.

I don't start Phase 3 until 6/24 and that seems a long time away right now. I'm also in a bit of a stall, losing about 2 lbs since my post op visit on 7/3. My total loss since pre-op on 6/20 is about 19 lbs and total of almost 30 since my pre-op diet. All in all, I'm very happy with my progress and I now understand that this life change will be successful. I wish all of you continued success and it's nice to have a place to compare notes with people who understand. I'm tired of trying to explain this process and the end result to skinny people...lol

Just keep going forward, every week get easier to to drink and eat. Congrats on your weight loss. I stalled for about three weeks but don't worry if your still losing inches. I'm 3 months post op with a total of 75lbs weight loss. This is a great forum, so don't hesitate to ask questions.

Hey everyone,

We've hit the 12 week/3 month mark.... How is everyone doing?

Because I enjoy emotional spewing and sharing, I'll give an update and I hope to see some of yours!!

Yesterday was my 32nd birthday :) This has been an awesome and incredible year.

This time last year, my awesome family and friends got together to throw me an epic, Hawaiian luau themed surprise party. It really was a fabulous surprise and such an incredible birthday. So I felt that the year started off well. Unbeknownst to me, I was an undiagnosed/untreated hypertensive diabetic that had just hit over 300 pounds (301 was my highest recorded weight).

I would find all this out about 2 weeks after my 31st birthday. It was one of the lowest points of my life. I was devastated.

But I stopped there. I cried for a weekend and then said "Enough."

A year later, I am no longer hypertensive or a diabetic. The only pills I take are Vitamins and minerals. I am down 88 pounds as of yesterday and I look flipping incredible (if I say so myself). I've got another 60 lbs until I reach my goal but for the first time in my life-long dieting career, I no longer doubt myself. I know I will reach that goal. I know that I will keep myself healthy.

Part of my journey included having weight loss surgery. I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy on April 21, 2014. (I've lost 58 pounds in the 12 weeks since surgery) It is a decision that I believe is saving my life. It was one of the hardest decisions to make. Every day is a struggle and hard work. The hard work tripled after surgery. It's not been easy and I do not regret a single moment of it. I am more determined now than I ever was before to make me a priority in my life - my health, my happiness, my future. It's been a lesson a long time in coming but it's one I'm grabbing onto with both hands.

Next stop - 100 pounds lost and weighing below 200 lbs. I think I can do this over the next 4 weeks but I am giving myself until Labor Day. I'm trying to manage expectations throughout this process to make sure I don't get discouraged and I think I have been doing well with that.

I'm fortunate to have friends and family that have been super supportive and being a part of this community and other fitness/weight loss communities has been inspiring and motivational.

Keep kicking ass!

HMK715:

Thanks for the great post! I feel very much the same although I've only been sleeved since 6/25. I am adjusting to my new way of life but the realization that food can no longer be my crutch has finally sunken in. Even though people get that "look" when they find out I had surgery, I know this decision is the best thing I could ever have done for myself. I'm quite a bit older than you, but I think we all have that common denominator.

Continued success and thanks for the post!!

Hey guys, almost 3 months out and down 51 lbs. I love the compliments I get from most but hate when people say I look sick or awww what's happening? I never hide my decision, I'm very proud so I still smile. Its only around 50 pounds, it's not that freaking drastic...

Anyway, I officially have 4 boxes of some really great clothes to give away some things were even brought after surgery and yet..they're done!

I got a raise at work and a different relationship with my supervisor who is deathly afraid of surgery and calls me survivor! Husband just moved us outta the city and brought a new car....so I'm feeling as good as in looking.

My mom's questions of the surgery caused us to mend a long time rift. Thank God she came to the hospital. Overall, I can eat more but it's still very little but more manageable to me, I'm not a stickler for any particular diet or workout but I do both sparingly but I am more physically active then ever and I even run now.

Its been a long almost 3 months for me since 4-23....how are u all doing??

I'm 4/23 too... I'm down a total of 67.. 20 pre op 47 post op. I'm loving wearing a bathing suit with no back fat! Hahaha everyone in the free world knew I was having the surgery so no surprises there.. Loving the compliments!!! 4 pounds to ONEderland and of course I am on a stall!! I go to docs on the 28th and hoping to be there!! I have my sons wedding in October and would love to reach my 100 pound goal by then!!! I have had so much support!! I try to get to the gym as much as I can but only do cardio (treadmill) right now, probably will start using the machines soon. I'm glad you are doing well too!! It's so exciting!! I still have a tough time with Water and get foot cramps now and then so I up my potassium! That's about it!! It's great to hear from everyone!! Keep us updated!!!

post-209415-0-86390800-1405882029_thumb.jpg

For muscle cramps, increase your Calcium intake. We post-ops tend to be low on our calcium, and muscle cramps is one sign of it. :)

For muscle cramps, increase your Calcium intake. We post-ops tend to be low on our calcium, and muscle cramps is one sign of it. :)

Ohhhh thanks...that must be it. I always forget those..

Ohhhh thanks...that must be it. I always forget those..

My surgeon says take 1500 of Calcium of every day. The Wallgreens "petites" aren't really all that petite but I can definitely swallow them. They are for sure smaller than the regular calcium horse pills. :)

I think muscle cramps could be lack of calcium/ lack if potassium/ lack if Vitamin D because that is what assists in the absorption of both or lack if Water. : )

Edited by Nicey2u

Muscle cramps can be caused by a deficiency in potassium, Calcium, magnesium, or sodium. But for us post-ops, the mineral we are most likely deficient in is calcium. That's why I recommended a calcium supplement. Make sure you're taking calcium citrate. Calcium carbonate is not well-absorbed.

Hello everyone! I'm down 88.5 lbs, 40 pre-op and 48.5 post-op. I can't wait to be able to say I lost 100 lbs. What an incredible journey this has been! I feel great inside and out! I am so glad I made this life changing decision. It's so nice for once to have clothes falling off for being to big rather than tryin to squeeze into everything. It's nice to cross my legs with little to no effort and wear heels all day at work without changing into flats halfway through. I hope everyone is feeling good n doing well and I love hearing all your stories. Keep up the good work!:)

According to my fitness pal I was getting plenty of Calcium through food. I hate taking supplements! Blah! Bad enough taking chewable complete flinstone B12 and D3 so I make sure I have one glass of fat free milk in the am even though doc said no liquid calories... Haha then Greek yogurt and cheese sticks! I'm pretty sure my issue was potassium.. The minute I started eating more foods with high potassium they went away. Live my fitness pal!! Oh ya also I'm not good at getting Water in!! I do my best but have never gotten more than 40 oz in one day.