Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to a wl seminar about 3 weeks ago. It is way early in the process as I don't have a consultation scheduled until later this month but I've been researching the sleeve and came across this forum and thought I'd join. I am 5 ft 4 1/2 in. tall and fluctuate between 225 and 235. I have lost up to 80 pounds on weight watchers. My last weight loss attempt was about 2 1/2 years ago. I lost about 60 pounds using Herbalife. It is so discouraging and don't think I can do it again if I can't keep it off. The seminar doctor explained how our bodies are programmed for a "set point" and during this process they will teach how to avoid that pitfall. The sleeve sounded like the best surgery for me although I won't know for sure until later.

I have called my health insurer twice and have not received good service. I hope that is not an indication of how this is going to go. The first rep referred me a nurse case manger to find out the criteria for approval. It took the case manager a week to return my call and she couldn't answer specifics because out health plan was being phased out and the new plan wouldn't start until the 1st. My call today was to determine if the required appointments (nut, ekg etc.) were covered benefits and the co pays, deductibles, and co insurance. The rep claimed she didn't know because It would have to be reviewed by company. I tried to explain that I wasn't asking if I would be covered but was asking if these appointments were covered benefits under my plan. She said she could refer me to a nurse care manager. She also said I would have to have one year of medically documented weight loss. The case manager said they require 6 months. It makes me feel like they try to discourage you so they won't have to pay the benefits.

I'm anxious to get this show on the road. I won't like the waiting period to get approval but I will do what I have to.

You might be able to use your Weight Watchers weight loss as record for your supervised weight loss. Keep calling the insurance company until you get someone that knows the policy. Don't let them discourage you or steal your joy. If WLS is what you want then be persistent and go for it. I am so happy that I stuck with it. I love my sleeve.

My ins. Accepted weight watchers and HerbalLife. They were "documented diets"

You may be better off getting on your new insurance website, mine has a lot of information on there, good luck.

Our doctor's office did the insurance contact. I hope yours does the same and you do not have to keep dealing with this confusion. We began WL seminars 10 years ago and finally felt comfortable and safe with the sleeve. We are 67 and doing absolutely great, would do it again in a heartbeat. Sleeved 11/18/13. Good luck. I am also 5'4" and weighed 220. Whether you choose the surgery or not, 6 months will pass. This is how we looked at it, except for us it was 3 months. Good luck to you!

The insurance thing was a tough part of the process, but I just had to be persistent with them. You can push them too, make sure the case manager understands your struggle and that the weight is affecting your health. I personally was starting to have really bad asthma and mobility problems and my blood pressure was all over the place. You have to advocate for yourself. I had to write some letters, but my 6 months wait period was waved by the insurance company once I broke it down for them. Writing a couple of letters expalining my journey to get here also helped to get them to move things along as well. I think the more that people see you as a person affected by the weight, more compassion comes through in the process. They got into healthcare to help take care of people, that core value still exists in most healthcare workers I have encountered. They can wave the timeline, keep pushing for the results you want. The case mgr has the power to push you through to an acceptance letter, work on convincing her this is the best step for you to get in better health. Good luck!!

Back in April it seemed like a 6 month weight loss regimen was forever. I have one month to go. I'm down about 30 lbs, have breezed through all the clearances. I've completed my pre and post classes and had my second set of labs. I am waiting (not so patiently) for a surgeon visit and a final weigh in. I am crossing my finger for insurance approval as two more pounds down and I will be below a 35 BMI. Everyone at the weight loss center says insurance goes by starting weight and I sure hope they are right. I should get a tentative surgery date when I go to the surgery appt. I'll have a two to four week liquid Protein diet that I'm not looking forward to but will try my hardest to follow because I want my liver to be as small as possible. Every day waiting now is agonizing but instead of fretting and worrying I should be getting my house in order. Sounds like a plan.

It's been quite some time since my last post so I thought I'd update my first post. I'm 9 months post op. My surgery and recovery went well. Struggled with the pre op and post op diets. I absolutely hated the Protein shakes and meals required by my program. Followed the plan to insure I would qualify for surgery but modified it soon after surgery. I still don't get the recommended Protein and Water but I feel good, my labs are very good and my body fat and muscle ratio numbers are right on track (at least they were at my 6 month check up).

I need to get serious about tracking my food intake with MyFitnessPal as I've been eating more and more junk lately. I haven't had a gain yet but I can see how easy it would be to gain. My sleeve can tolerate just about anything. There is still a great restriction for most food but for some reason the bad for me junk foods seem to go right down. I had quite a few incidences of foamies when eating chicken. I don't know if it was from not chewing enough, eating to quickly or too much. That hasn't happened lately thank goodness.

I'm down to a size 4 or 6 depending upon the brand from a size 20/22. I have a considerable amount of loose skin in areas and my face looks hollow and sagging. I had a small bust to begin with and now I have nothing but hanging skin. Nothing left in the trunk either.

I've noticed a lot more hair in the sink and on my brush but don't see a difference in the volume on my head.

I only told three people I was having WLS - my mom, husband and a neice. While prepping for surgery, my cousin came into the presurgery room. She said she was scheduled as one of the surgical nurses and asked if I wanted her to be removed from the schedule. I said no but I hadn't told my children I was having surgery. She said she wouldn't say anything to any one - HIPPA laws etc. and she could lose her job if she discussed it. I was so surprised, I didn't know she had changed hospitals!

I am fortunate to have had such a good outcome. I'm happy to answer any questions.