Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 months and told to stop losing and start maintenance.....

So I'm 7 months out and yesterday at my (6 month) check up surgeon told me to stop losing and go into maintenance. I was shocked. I wasn't expecting to hear that. I was ok at first then kind almost had a panic attack. I have always, always, always had it in my head from youth to lose weight. I thought I still had more to lose.

I 5'6 (large frame) weighted in at dr (fully clothed) at 164 putting my bmi at 28.5. I asked it I could lose the last 12 pounds to put me at 150 (you know the magic number in your head you have to get to) but he said that would put me just above a underweight bmi and to let's just stay here. I feel like 7 more will put me at a good place to have some wiggle room.

I'm right around 1000 calories a day 80-100 grams of Protein, 8-10 glasses of Water low carbs. I'm happy at this size just not my smoochieness! Toning is a must from here on out.

I am baffled at how to proceed now. I know I should be prepared but really I didn't think I'd be told that at my apt. The weight loss slowed way down.... like I'm bounding these last 6 weeks between 162 and 166. I would love some advice form all the vets on how to maintain from now on. If you need more back ground I'm all for telling everything lol :) thanks everyone

Ok..He isn't you..This is your choice. I was told I was at my goal at around 175 due to my history at a BMI over 50.

Glad I kept going...very happy at 150... 5'5" with large frame

I agree I Think you should lose that last amount then that will allow you cushion....good luck

You do look amazing woman! I was thinking with the toning that might drop some of the last few I need or feel I need to drop. I don't see my body as what I wanted to be at just yet. Maybe it's bc I'm still squishy. Sigh...

I agree with PP. My Dr never gave me a goal weight. I think because I weighed so much, he figured if I got below 200 I would be doing great. I'm 5'7" and have a larger frame. I don't know what my final goal will be, but it will be what makes me feel comfortable and healthy. I'm shooting for 165 and then I want to have plastics. I would love to finish out somewhere between 150ish. BUT, I've had 3 children and if it doesn't feel realistic, I may stop at 175 and then opt for plastics.

Sorry to go on and on, but most importantly: congratulations on your fantastic weight loss!! The idea of maintenance scares me as well but you will do great! You have rocked your WLS!!

I'm 67.5 inches. I am 145 pounds. That's where my body stays with no effort.

I can afford to gain 10 pounds with no worries.

My Dr's goal was 65% EWL which means I would've been still overweight

I will say that there is no way i would have surgery to remain overweight. 28 BMI is still overweight.

I am also 5'5 and I weigh 115. My doctor told me that he considered me a success at my last appt, at 130. He will be floored when he sees me next month at my 1 year appt. :)

I am 5'6" and stopped losing at 142. At 2 1/2 years out, I am at 150-151 now. My Dr. wants me to lose 3-5 lbs so I don't start a habit of gaining. I still fight in my head that I'm not thin. You have to do what you feel comfortable with. My goal is to stay between 145-150 so I just have to watch what I eat to get a couple of lbs. off. At 51 years old, this is what is best for me. You've done an amazing job.

I agree with vogue (and surely many others). Why stop when you are in the overweight category (>25 bmi)? Why would a doctor even make that suggestion. Time to be what YOU consider a success. Cheers!

Thank you all so much for giving me your advice!

I think your all right. I do want to go down a few more pounds. I DO ideally want to be between 150-155. I'm going to do just what we all want....to be comfy in my own skin. I'm not there yet. I appreciate all your time and look forward to all your support from here on out!

Everyone has do such a great job on their journey! :)

I'm only 5ft 2" and my doctor wanted me at a normal BMI which for me was 130. That was just a goal, not set in stone. I'm 16 months out and had to talk to the nutritionist because I kept losing when I wasn't trying. Added in some Peanut Butter in my weight control oatmeal, nuts, and more fruits. I'm now fluctuating between 122-125. You should have seen the look on the nurse's face when she weighed me yesterday before my mammogram. I was 198 at my last one a year ago Dec and she was shocked!! I think she thought I was sick!!

Well, since you asked, why have surgery and then stop before you are where you want to be? It's your body.

If you are satisfied where you are now, by all means go into maintenance. You look great. But if you think you would like to go lower, I say go for it. Heck, you can always gain it back if you don't like it.

I have a small frame at 5'6". My bmi is normal, but I still have a fat waist leftover from my giant jelly belly, so I'm going for a low bmi, but that's just me. My dr supports a bmi at the low end of the scale.

I'm 5'6" and 135, which I'm happy with. I'm small boned with wide hips and a small chest. My upper legs, arms, and middle still have some flab, but not enough to show in clothes.

Lynda

I agree that if you want to loose a bit more, you should continue forward with that.

What size clothing are you in now? I have a number in my head of what I would like to weigh but it is easier for me to judge where I want to be by what jeans size I can wear. I want to fit into a size 8...the number is secondary to the size.

I agree that if you want to loose a bit more, you should continue forward with that.

What size clothing are you in now? I have a number in my head of what I would like to weigh but it is easier for me to judge where I want to be by what jeans size I can wear. I want to fit into a size 8...the number is secondary to the size.

That is a great way to look at it! I would ideally like to be a size 8 also. I'm in a 9-10 now and I know with a few extra pounds gone I'd fit into 8's. As I bought a few pairs of longer shorts for summer in an 8. They are real close (like I need to lose 5-10 pounds and they'd fit perfect! lol

I do have another question for everyone.... How does everyone maintain? What is your routine like? Your intake? Your effort you have to use? Is it harder for some or easy for some?