Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everyone stares at me when I come in for my appointments. One girl actually said why are you here? Omg how rude. OK so I'm not as big as most of the people here but I want to be at a healthy bmi and I need help too . I am over 200lbs but most people would never guess it. My weight distributes evenly throughout my body so I hide it well with the right clothes. But I do qualify for the surgery and I do need it. Stop starring at me! Lol.

I got the same thing but the I decided if they said anything I would just tell them I was post op and use to weigh 300lbs.

Haha!!! Love the "used to be 300 pounds" reply! I may have to use that one! I'm a "lightweight" too, and get lots of looks and comments. My BMI is above 40 though, so they need to zip it! I'm doing this for me and I've researched things to the ends of the earth. Don't let those stares bother you!! Best of luck!

Yep, I got lots of looks and comments too. I just took pride in being the thinnest person at the bariatric center pre-op, and the youngest person at the cardiologist! :)

Either way you spin it, we all have challenges to face, so don't let them bug ya.

Our society is obsessed with super thin but has gotten so used to obese as a "normal" that even 100 lbs overweight may not look so bad to them. As long as your BMI and comorbidities indicate surgery is right for you, then blow it off.

Wow how rude…i encounter the same thing a few yeasr ago…the nurse said go home and work out…u are not fat….really who are you to tell me what i am….ppl

Same thing happened to me when I went for upper GI. The X ray tech told me why are you having surgery. That j wasn't big..243lbs 5'4..why is wls such a taboo? .I can't even tell my friends about it cause they will think I'm crazy. .mind you, they all under 200lbs..The heavier one is 190lbs..The smallest one is 140..they are dieting and working out. .and

They have the nerve to say, I'm not big enough for surgery :-(

That happened to me at the hospital after surgery. The nurse and aide were both saying you sure don't look that big to be having this surgery. I said well, I have been obese since I was in second grade. I have never been able to buy clothes in the normal section. I am now 51 and my BMI is 37 and I have high blood pressure and both of my parents had heart problems and my dad had diabetes. I obviously am not going to lose this weight on my own so I feel maybe having this surgery will give me the help I need to finally get some weight off. Then they understood.

Wow! I felt alone till I read this post! I'm barely 5 feet and 175lbs, I have never told anyone my weight, and I evenly distribute my weight as well however I physically feel the burden of this weight as I'm sure most of you understand, my surgery is May 28th amd I can't wait to hear "you look great" instead of "all you need is a little exercise, not surgery"! All the best to us xo

I'm 5ft4 and 210 and fluctuate 5lbs up and down. My bmi was at 40. Borderline. I feel horrible every day. Headaches back pain feet hurt swelling and socks become tight. Miserable. I want to cry. I pop excedrin like candy. The caffeine keeps me going while killing the pain so i can function for the day. Yeah why not wait till I reach 300lbs and really be messed up. I have successfully lost weight in the past and felt amazing. But now no matter what I do it won't come off past 15lbs or so and I get frustrated and give up. Add going through pre menopause and gallstones and gallbladder disease and a hiatal hernia to the list and you've got my life every day. I just want to cry. I wish surgery was tomorrow. Damn insurance. I feel so ready. I need this so bad. I want to feel like normal again. July is so far off. Having my gallbladder removed in April so maybe that'll help. I hope so. I feel so bad when I see overweight people because I know what struggles we go through to just get through a day. Good luck and great success and good health to all of us.

Edited by jdillon

I got some looks too. I think I was the smallest person at my pre-op class and in some of the support groups. Don't let it get you down.

If anyone asked why I was there I would just say "same as you!" We can't all have a BMI of 55 for gods sake!

That's just crazy.

Yup I was on the receiving end of stares that began in the waiting room as well as unkind unsolicited comments from co workers that got word I was having the surgery. For me it's no secret I'm having WLS but it isn't a community decision either. I began this WLS journey at 245lbs standing at just 5'2 so yes I FREAKING NEED THIS SURGERY TOO! Luckily for me all the extra padding for the most part fell in all the right places hips and behind or my deep dark secret would be public knowledge lol. I've had so many unpleasant conversations with unsupportive friends and family but not one of these people can feel the pain I feel daily in my knees, joints, and back. These r my swollen ankles and feet that hurt just to stand on them for long periods of time or me being winded going up a flight of stairs. Looks can be deceiving but just because a person my not be as heavy as some others doesn't mean we aren't equally as unhealthy and in desperate need of help. I honestly believe in NEVER judge anyone as we all fall short somewhere or another.

This is why I haven't told many people. The few people I've told usually start out by saying, "But you aren't *that* fat!" Well, I may not be immobile, but I'm still fat enough to be essentially invisible in public and have very little social capital in our culture! And don't get me started on all the health problems. But even the first surgeon I met with said, "You saw the other people waiting. You're not like them. Are you sure you want this?" To which I replied, "I want this now to make sure I don't end up 'like them.'" Same deal with the shrink when I did the psych eval. Ugh.