Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar Addiction Derails Weight Loss

Hello everybody,

A few years ago I was on cloud nine. I had lost almost 80 lbs and I was in the 100's for the first time since I started college. I was following all the rules, staying away from bread, rice, and Pasta during the week with one day of carbs. Then one day I was overfilled and starting having PB's. This led me to make a fatal mistake that I haven't been able to shake since; I ate a ice cream shake. It was a downhill slide from there. I had never been addicted to hard core sugar like candy, ice cream, and Desserts. After that one time I went on a ice cream binge. My favorite stop has been Sonic for their Sonic Reese's Blasts. That led to buying the gallon Snicker's ice cream that I would buy in the dark of the night so my wife wouldn't see. Now I'm back to just feaning sugar. It's been disastrous to my weight loss. I've almost regained all my weight and I hit a new low today.

I'm about to start to look for a new job so I need to find myself a dress shirt and tie. After going to the store I found not one shirt that fit me. It's really depressing and disappointing. Now I have no clothes to wear for job interviews and let's face it, employers look at weight. It makes me look lazy and sloppy.

I am now ready, once again, to get back on the Lap Band plan. I'm here to see if anybodyelse has gone through what I have been through and how did you get through it. Thanks for any advice you can give me. God bless.

What is it that you like about the shakes? The coldness? The creamy thickness. The sweetness? I am an ice cream junkie. It is a trigger food for me. And by the way, I love all of the above.

This is what has worked for me.

First, the greens plus with berry burst. It really has reduced my sugar cravings.

Everyday, at some point, I mix vanilla Protein powder, a tablespoon of Greek yogurt, four frozen strawberries, maybe 10 -15 frozen blueberries, about 1/4-1/2 c Water, ice cubes when available and blend in my magic bullet. It's cold sweet, Protein, and I think it's a milkshake. One of my band friends does the above with chocolate protein, and a spoon of Peanut Butter with almond milk and ice, a little Splenda for sweetness. banana is a nice change of pace too. Just slice up the banana in 1/2 inch slices with the skin on, put in a ziplock & freeze. Break off the amount of slices you want in your fake frozen but yummy shake! Hope this helps!

Try putting a fat free or sugar free pudding cup in the freezer for a couple hours. Cold, creamy and sweet ! Taste just like ice cream but less sugar. The less sugar you eat the less your body will crave it. Try finding healthier s substitutes for your ice cream habit, and hopefully you'll see the weight come off. Good luck !

I am addicted also to sugar. I have been banded 5 months and down 50 pounds. I have 5 cc in a 10cc band. I find myself eating candy and junk instead of food. I cant eat bread or rice without pbing. So I could use someone to help me get over this sugar rush before I fall off the bandwagon.

There is no better time to start detoxing then right now. You know what you need to do, just do it. When you begin to make positive changes, you will feel better about yourself. Feeling better about yourself translates into confidence.

You've got this' choices made minute by minute, hour by hour, meal to meal. You have your tool, make it work for you. Make today better than yesterday.

Detox. That's what you and I both have to do. I am letting sugar sneak in and getting rid of it was the reason I lost so much, so why am I letting it sneak back in?

First, I think you should tell your wife what you're doing. You are hiding and that is a bad habit of us overeaters.

Next, stop carrying any money near you in the car. Getting out of the car to get your wallet (or purse for us ladies) can dissuade you just enough to help stop this addiction you've started.

Lastly, revisit your nutritionist if you can.

I have done the same thing.. I was 266 pounds the day of surgery.(June 28,2011) My lowest is 188 a year later and now I am back up to 220. I can not go to the store with out buying a chocolate bar or ice cream. I am so depressed because my clothes are tight. I truly don't know how to get back on the bandwagon!!

Ok Sugar Addicts I know who you are as I am one too. Ice cream was my favorite binge food although I could binge on anything with sugar. I know I preach this a lot on the site, but Overeaters Anonymous has helped me with my sugar addiction as my therapist at the weight loss clinic where I had my surgery done.

Some sugar free things help but not much. Once the sweet is in my system I want more. One cookie is too many and a box is not enough. I my case one ice cream is too much and gallon is not enough.

You are working with and living with an addiction. Just like the crack user you need your fix and ice cream is easier to get than crack and a whole lot cheaper. Take another rout around the ice cream places. I had to stop driving by a certain fast food place and I am not a fast food junkie but it called to me for some reason. Today that place does not bother. Another thing I do is repeat over and over "that is not my food!" This seems to break the I want or I have to have cycle.

Best of luck. PS OA meetings can be found at www.oa.org and look for meetings in your area.

I love sugar, so much so that work friends contemplate just buying me a container of frosting. The detox is horrible. I was sick as a dog when I did the preop, had the sweats and nausea from lack of sweets just like an addict. Just think about how icecream and candy makes your body react. It is truly a bully. Stay strong!! Some posters gave great suggestions. :)

Ok Sugar Addicts I know who you are as I am one too. Ice cream was my favorite binge food although I could binge on anything with sugar. I know I preach this a lot on the site, but Overeaters Anonymous has helped me with my sugar addiction as my therapist at the weight loss clinic where I had my surgery done. Some sugar free things help but not much. Once the sweet is in my system I want more. One cookie is too many and a box is not enough. I my case one ice cream is too much and gallon is not enough. You are working with and living with an addiction. Just like the crack user you need your fix and ice cream is easier to get than crack and a whole lot cheaper. Take another rout around the ice cream places. I had to stop driving by a certain fast food place and I am not a fast food junkie but it called to me for some reason. Today that place does not bother. Another thing I do is repeat over and over "that is not my food!" This seems to break the I want or I have to have cycle. Best of luck. PS OA meetings can be found at www.oa.org and look for meetings in your area.

i too have a sugar addiction and unless I get help I'm going to have difficulty losing these pounds I have left to lose. My addiction is with chocolate and fresh baked Cookies. I'm sugar free with beverages. I will check out OA thanks