Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

sodium levels

Hi vets!

I just am reaching out to see what others consider high sodium and does that differ from "the standards."

I have been paying attention to my sodium levels for the last month in MFP. No particular reason why from a medical stand point, but it is part of my tracking for p90x workout program. Blood pressure, pulse, etc are fine and actually really good. 55 resting pulse and 110 / 70 BP. Anyways, my daily sodium tracks consistently at +1000 mg then where MFP wants it to be.

Here is an example of what I tracked today (anticipating foods until end of day):

Calories: 1846

Protein: 248 g (50%)

Fat: 46 g (20%)

Carb: 149 g (30%)

Sodium: 3596 mg. <-- should no be above 2500 mg daily according to MFP.

Fiber: 63 g

From a perspective of my caloric and macro goals I am spot on. Hit the numbers right where I need them. I could not ask for better numbers.

Sodium is way up there though. Most of it comes from the chicken I eat for morning snack, lunch or dinner (e.g 4 oz costco rotisserie chicken -615 mg, 4 oz Tyson teriyaki chicken - 373 mg or 4 oz cooking light chicken pacatta - 574 mg) or the Protein supplements ( Premier Protein 11 oz first meal - 330 mg, Hydrobuilder (1scoop before workout) - 350 mg, whey (1 scoop after workout mixed with green vibrance super food for helping my nutrition out) - 130 mg and casein (2 scoops at bed) - 550 mg). I eat very clean. Mostly just chicken variations, bell peppers, broccoli, Fiber one Cereal, steel oats, salmon, Protein supplements. Things like that. Not complicated and fairly easy to prepare for myself. I do not mind repetitive food. In fact, I would rather have it that way instead of trying to figure it out every day as most meals are my responsibility and my kitchen time is pretty limited. I won't likely change from eating chicken or taking my Protein shakes. Both work very well as a protein source in order to hit the numbers and I enjoy it.

Should I care? Do others think about sodium levels? Again, vitals are fine. Weight is where it needs to be per current goals (eg no major Water retention issue). No heart palps. I have good muscular definition from daily workouts (again, no Water retention issues).

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi vets! I just am reaching out to see what others consider high sodium and does that differ from "the standards." I have been paying attention to my sodium levels for the last month in MFP. No particular reason why from a medical stand point, but it is part of my tracking for p90x workout program. Blood pressure, pulse, etc are fine and actually really good. 55 resting pulse and 110 / 70 BP. Anyways, my daily sodium tracks consistently at +1000 mg then where MFP wants it to be. Here is an example of what I tracked today (anticipating foods until end of day): Calories: 1846 Protein: 248 g (50%) Fat: 46 g (20%) Carb: 149 g (30%) Sodium: 3596 mg. <-- should no be above 2500 mg daily according to MFP. Fiber: 63 g From a perspective of my caloric and macro goals I am spot on. Hit the numbers right where I need them. I could not ask for better numbers. Sodium is way up there though. Most of it comes from the chicken I eat for morning snack, lunch or dinner (e.g 4 oz costco rotisserie chicken -615 mg, 4 oz Tyson teriyaki chicken - 373 mg or 4 oz cooking light chicken pacatta - 574 mg) or the Protein supplements ( Premier Protein 11 oz first meal - 330 mg, Hydrobuilder (1scoop before workout) - 350 mg, whey (1 scoop after workout mixed with green vibrance super food for helping my nutrition out) - 130 mg and casein (2 scoops at bed) - 550 mg). I eat very clean. Mostly just chicken variations, bell peppers, broccoli, Fiber one Cereal, steel oats, salmon, Protein supplements. Things like that. Not complicated and fairly easy to prepare for myself. I do not mind repetitive food. In fact, I would rather have it that way instead of trying to figure it out every day as most meals are my responsibility and my kitchen time is pretty limited. I won't likely change from eating chicken or taking my protein shakes. Both work very well as a protein source in order to hit the numbers and I enjoy it. Should I care? Do others think about sodium levels? Again, vitals are fine. Weight is where it needs to be per current goals (eg no major Water retention issue). No heart palps. I have good muscular definition from daily workouts (again, no Water retention issues). Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, Dear Fiddleman, you should care. I had HBP prior to VSG and within two months was off all meds and normal BP for over 3 years.

In the last few months, my BP on some occasions has been running borderline "high" such as 140/90. I have been under extreme stress and have had shingles and pain can cause elevated BP but the FIRST thing my PCP told me was SODIUM LEVELS. ????. I certainly do not want to go back on meds and am somewhat upset but I also Know my sodium levels have been much higher of late (due to all the PB crackers I hVe been consuming. ????).

Also can cause increased risk of stomach cancer and gastritis which in our case with small stomachs would be, I would think, even greater.

It's very important too that we get at least the full 8 glasses or more of water each day to flush our kidneys of sodium.

Very useful feedback Georgia. Thank you! I did not think sodium was related to stomach cancer. Scary stuff. And definitely I understand the part of drinking Water in abundance. Almost a requirement for high Protein diets like mine. I drink at least 32 oz an hour, depends on if I have access to a bathroom or not and whether I am about to eat or had just eaten. I always need to wait 20-30 minutes after eating before drinking (yeah, I know, a rule everyone knows...). I almost think I do not have issues with sodium or protein levels because I drink so much water daily. Hope you are feeling better with regards to shingles (and that BP will lower soon for you).

I know my sodium is high. Mainly from ham and costco rotisserie chicken. When my mom is visiting, I cook chicken to reduce sodium and skip the ham. I'm too lazy to do that all the time though.

Lynda

Did a little research today and read costco intentionally pumps 15-20% (of total weight) sodium based solution into the rotisserie chicken. I could probably still enjoy the chicken without that much sodium. We buy Costco rotisserie chicken every week because it is cheap, convenient and tastiest.

I eat alot of meat...buy sandwich meat from trader Joe's for example. I don't track food but I worry about the sodium too. I don't like most salty tasting food but I know sodium is in my meat based diet. Georgia I didn't know about the cancer link....any more info on that?

For the athlete, the numbers will be different. You will need more sodium than most due to what's depleted via body sweat.

Vogue - that makes lot of sense. While I am not professionally an athlete, I do train like one (IMHO). At least that is my goal for every workout- to push my current ability, always adapting. That is one valuable pattern of success I have taken away from cross fit training. That is, to keep pushing yourself to grow in the physical response with respect to competition, sport and personal best. And that requires a lot of daily hydration to replace depleted electrolytes. Maybe my whole thought process on high sodium consumption is unfounded in my case. I hope that I do not learn the answer through a negative anatomical response.

Edited by Fiddleman

Wow Georgia, did I read that right... salt is potentially more hazardous than the nitrates? I buy sandwich meat from trader joes to get the nitrate free stuff... oh my, I may need to rethink this.

I was reflecting the other day. My moms mom died of cancer at 42 (I believe cervical, but it was ages ago so unsure). My mom got cancer (malignant melanoma) in her 40s and eventually died of related complications at 74. My only full sister (I have a bunch of half siblings) died of breast cancer at 39.

I am 49. Maybe i should think more seriously about cancer prevention. Thanks for posting all this.

I'm so not fussed about sodium. I may be fooling myself, but my BP is low-normal, and I have bigger fish to fry.

Life...it is deadly...

I don't know how many of you follow Dr. Sharma, but I find his viewpoints on obesity, nutrition, and healthy eating to be sensible and well-balanced. I thought I recalled a recent post by him on this issue on his site (DrSharma.ca - he's in Canada), and a quick search of his site brings it up in one of the first his, pointing out that the evidence in favor of reduced sodium intake is less than conclusive. He apparently spent the first 10 years of his research career studying the effects of salt on blood pressure, so it's a topic he follows. I think his post is worth a read.

I'm very curious about the cancer link - I'll have to do more digging on that. I have a VERY strong family history of cancer on my mother's side, but never the same kind, so there are no particular risk trends, but I figure I'm bound to end up with cancer of some type eventually. The strong obesity-cancer link was a major convincing factor for me to proceed with surgery.