Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have been debating about asking about this on here for a while, but here we go...

Have any of you had issues where after surgery and dropping a lot of weight you still look in the mirror and don't really see the difference?

Let me explain... I was 567+ prior to surgery on 11/13/13. I am now 376 and still losing. I see the effects, loose skin, clothes fit better, I'm more comfortable. Usually though, when I look in the mirror I still see myself as huge. I know, 376 is still very obese, but I just feel like I should be recognizing the changes in the mirror more. Anyone else dealing with this or have you dealt with it in the past?

I'm just newly sleeved so not an expert on any of this. I lost 28 pounds preop and 10 in the last week. I started at 325 so the 37 pounds "seems" like a drop in the bucket. The reasons I wanted to do this surgery were 80% health and 20% aesthetics. I have seen a huge improvement in my health already (no more bp meds), less swelling in my legs, less pain in my feet. I haven't seen as much physically in the way of beauty, although I know it's there. Small things, like the way I walk faster, carry myself. Small thing are probably there for you if you don't look at the big picture. You might have a ways to go but look at how far you've come! It's hard to see ourselves as anything other than the obese person we are. But we are always moving forward. Do something you've never done before. It's those NSV's everyone talks about that aren't related to a scale. Those are there I bet! Keep on track. I'm inspired by your achievement this far!

if youve lost 200lbs your mind is playing tricks on you if you cant tell.. unfortunately at that weight you will probably want to look into skin surgery.. Its worth it. Good luck certainly and your doing great

Have you taken any recent pictures?
Or taken them along the way?
If not take one either in underwear or something like leggings and a cami or leggings and a bra and look at it then look at pictures from before your wls that’s how I noticed the difference.
Not the weekly or monthly me as you see your face and body every day so it doesn’t register its when you go back and look the difference is smack bang in your face.
You see how much smaller your face is, arms legs belly etc its not something that ever registered to me looking in the mirror only via pictures.
When I started I tried to keep up with and do a monthly pic shot of loss which I have added to me that never seemed like much its my biggest pic of me before that I think holy sh*t.
I will add them too and you will see what I mean.
Think about it like this we don’t notice how big we are before even if we KNOW we are big we don’t actually really KNOW because we can’t take our eyes out and look at our self like another person looks at us as in all of us with proper perception with people and objects around us for our entire mass.
Plus we just don’t want to really know how big we are beforehand.
Btw my biggest pic I was 425lbs I am not 198lbs

ps that comp is may 2012-may 2013 i didnt do any more so that was just my first year the other pics are this year

post-162358-0-10989700-1395294883_thumb.jpg

post-162358-0-51670700-1395294980_thumb.jpg

post-162358-0-84758500-1395294985_thumb.jpg

post-162358-0-78754700-1395295111_thumb.jpg

Edited by sassypants

I've had a lot of these 'I don't see it the way they do' moments about my loss, especially this last month or so. I can see that the clothes I wear are small, I can see the spaces I fit it are small, but when I look in the mirrors, I also don't see it. Its strange because as I went from my height, a size 24 3x down to a 12 L, I saw it! I looked in the mirror everyday, I watched the scale, and I loved it!! Then, something changed...I'm now a size 6, S/M but my mind still sees the same body as when I was a 12. My mind doesn't see the past 4 months of loss. Also, the smaller you get, the more OTHER people notice your loss, but I think for me, I notice it less. It may seem crazy to others for you to say you cannot see a 200 lb difference, but I completely understand where you're coming from!! Its very strange feeling like you're in a body that isn't shrinking. Keep on keeping on!! Your mind, and mine will catch up soon, I hope!! Congrats!!

Body dysmorphia is a mean trick our mind plays on us. I've lost almost 70bls and gone from a 20 to a 12 and sometimes I feel more self conscious now than I did before. This isn't the first time I've heard this topic here so you're not alone :) BUT... wow! You are doing amazing, so proud of you!

Edited by Seela

@@sassypants your photos are incredible!

I speechless. It must feel so good. Well done on your progress. I bet it was hard hard. Keep going and wishing you all the vest for continued success :)

If not take one either in underwear or something like leggings and a cami or leggings and a bra and look at it then look at pictures from before your wls that’s how I noticed the difference.

Not the weekly or monthly me as you see your face and body every day so it doesn’t register its when you go back and look the difference is smack bang in your face.

You see how much smaller your face is, arms legs belly etc its not something that ever registered to me looking in the mirror only via pictures.

When I started I tried to keep up with and do a monthly pic shot of loss which I have added to me that never seemed like much its my biggest pic of me before that I think holy sh*t.

@@sassypants your photos are incredible! I am blown away and speechless!!!!! And you deserve every single one if those exclamation marks :)

It must feel so good. Well done on your progress. I bet it was hard work. Keep going and wishing you all the best for continued success :)

I also have that issue-- not realizing the weight I've dropped. In my mind I'm still morbidly obese & always will be. But more than that, I actually dislike what I see in the mirror... When I'm wearing clothing, I think I'm beautiful... But when the clothes come off, it's a mess. I was more confident (naked) when I was larger. (Actually, I have a boudoir photo shoot booked in a few weeks. I'm hoping this helps me view myself a little differently). It's so strange- not something I expected. Regardless, I'm happier healthy.

For me it was the same way going up. At some point too big just became too big and each new pound was just another pound. My mind is an A-hole. Nothing is ever good enough for it, and now, since I stopped feeding it doritos to shut it up it desperately tries to sabotage me. I Celebrate every victory. Every pound lost will be remembered even if I can't see it. 200 pounds down is an incredible victory! Congrats!