Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm loosing it here. My sleeve is booked for next week. I don't know why but tonight I'm so tempted to toss the whole thing out the window. Im thinking things like I haven't had coconut cream pie in 20 yrs and now I may never eat a full slice again. I feel like such a failure letting myself get to this point to have surgery. How do you get over this?

Loss of comfort foods held me back for about a year. I couldn't imagine giving up my chicken friend steaks and mashed potatotes/gravy, ribs etc. But, I did. It's truly amazing how little I care about McDonalds, Fried foods, taco bell and Nachos Grande now.

When I first started, one of the lapbander members posted this: "I'm so stinkin' thrilled with my weight loss i dont even care about what i cant eat!" Pink Dahlia

It is so true. And so what if you can't eat an entire slice of pie, you can still eat some if you want. Just not nearly the amount you ate before. And, you won't care. You do now, but you've got to be stronger than a food craving? You will be!

Edited by 2muchfun

you can eat whatever you want after several months,,, i was on vacation and i would have small slice of something sweet.. were talking like 2-3 bites!! Just enough .. no ill side effects. you will be fine.

yes I thought having the band would prevent me from ever enjoying food again. I actually mourned for about a week after my surgery . but as time goes on and you start recuperating you will be able to enjoy some of your favorites but in limited amounts. Frankly my taste has changed so much that most things I thought I couldn't live without don't even appeal to me anymore. I loved , loved, loved ice cream and now it's hum drum.. ate a little at my granddaughter's birthday party last Sat. and it actually made me kind yukky.. so, if you stay determined to get healthier and skinnier you will work it out. Best of Luck.

JMCP, I am having my surgery tomorrow, and this weekend I was thinking the same thing, but I have someone I work with that had it done, and she eats things I never knew you could after this surgery, but you just have to push past these feelings and remember what your doing it for. I need this now more than ever cause I have tried so many things to lose the weight and nothing worked for me, and this is my last option. Believe in yourself and remember that Coconut cream pie is what got you where you are now, do you really want to stay where you are now? Good Luck

I was back and forth until I fell asleep in the operating room :)

My journey hasn't been all butterflies and rainbows, but it's not been doom and gloom either. It's a bumpy road, but hey...look where you have been and then look ahead to where you are going.

I had to accept that I couldn't do this on my own. I've tried many times prior to surgery to lose and keep off the weight. I always failed. I was angry that I allowed myself to get to the point of weighing 354 lbs. One day, after accepting my anger and my frustration and realizing I needed to change, the decision to have the surgery just happened. Even though I was scared witless at times, I have ZERO regrets! None. I have MANY rewards...

I still sneak...no...I ENJOY a bite or two of my favorite, not-so-good-for-me treats. Instead of a giant slice of cheesecake, I have a bite of someone else's slice. I eat a single piece of chocolate instead of a giant candy bar.

Follow your doc's advice and plans. Take deep breaths. Tell yourself from this point on that you will be successfull. Focus on what you are gaining, not what you are giving up. You will ROCK this!

OP: are you on a restricted calorie pre-op diet?

Sounds to me like your body is going through chemical cravings for carbs. I felt that way too when I first started the pre-op diet. It was like detox from a powerful drug. And i had all these crazy thoughts. So Id take a big bite of bagel or ice cream, put it in my mouth, enjoy it, and spit it in the trash. Worked for me, to get through the carb-detox.

I think everyone (or at least I think) felt really concerned right before they had their surgery. I am only 8 weeks post op (Lap-Band), but feel so much better and am thankful I made this decision. You will too!!! You'll be surprised with how you will handle food a few weeks out about food and your choices. Hang in there sweetie...you can do this and will be so much happier!!!

Thanks everyone! About 6 yrs ago I was scheduled to have a lap band done. Deposit made and everything. But backed out and decides I could do it on my own. Obviously I can't. Thanks for reminding me to keep my eye on the prize!

Also I don't start pre op diet until tomorrow. I'm actually pretty lucky because its two shakes and veggies/protein for supper. 3 day liquids 3 days before the surgery. 2 shakes and a meal should be ok, done those many times. That's the story of my life haha.

You've got this!!!

jmcp, when you get cold feet....put on socks and jump in. You can either continue to live life as you are or you can choose to take the tool and the diet of a life time. The decision is always yours but I for one think there is only one right decision when you have already failed at weight loss in the past. Good luck to you.

Oh my gosh, i thought i was the only or amongst the very few people that did this type of tasting of foods. Luckily taste buds for sweet and salty are located near the tip of the tongue, 9 out of 10 times i feel my cravings subside. although swallowing good tasting food is a great sensation.

OP: are you on a restricted calorie pre-op diet?

Sounds to me like your body is going through chemical cravings for carbs. I felt that way too when I first started the pre-op diet. It was like detox from a powerful drug. And i had all these crazy thoughts. So Id take a big bite of bagel or ice cream, put it in my mouth, enjoy it, and spit it in the trash. Worked for me, to get through the carb-detox.

Edited by LL112

you will be so thrilled with losing so much weight you wont care about coconut cream pies or other comfort food. you just tell your brain to stfu and do what you need to do. you are saving your own life, dont let any crazy food addiction thoughts stand in your way!

Girl I was second guessing it up to getting on the OR table and them putting the mask over my face! Best thing I have ever done for ME! You need to put yourself first so you can be more present in your life not just a food addict! I am now so can you. Questioning is good this surgery is not a magic cure. It's a tool. If you want to see someone who would not do the work watch my 600 lb life on TLC. The girl Pam had surgery and was still eating like she shouldn't. Lost 40 lbs pre op and no more. She did not see her 5 year old finish kindergarten because she couldn't walk. Why? Because she would not do the work and kept blaming everything else but herself. Her tool didn't work because she would not follow her Instuction booklet! If you read the booklet before you have better chance of losing the weight and changing your life.