Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what to do when something is stuck

:flame: I've heard of pineapple juice, papaya enzyme and even meat tenderizer to get something unstuck. I was also told to wave my arms above my head- which did not help. Any other suggestions to get something unstuck?? TIA

I found a great combination papaya and pineapple enzyme chewable tab at Trader Joe's for something like $2.49

I'm still a believer in the juice, unsweetened. It's the acid that seems to do the trick. Do the tablets have the same acidic content? I'm not sure, never looked at a label.

Not sure, I have a few of those little cans of pineapple juice already stocked in the cabinet, though. (Just in case)

I was shoppin there the other days looking for cinnamon supplements and noticed the bottle of Papaya and Pineapple enzyme. I remember reading in one of the other posts that some folks swear by papaya, and that pineapple juice is also good for unblocking. So I thought, for $2.49, I'll get it (also just in case). I haven't picked up the meat tenderizer yet, though.

LOL MarySue! I do that any way! Thanks everyone for the feedback. I sure hope I don't ever need the meat tenderizer.........

WasaBB- I have to ask where do you get your bushisms they're great!!!

"I said I was looking for a book to read, Laura said you ought to try Camus. I also read three Shakespeares. ... I've got a eck-a-lec-tic reading list." --George W. Bush, interview with NBC's Brian Williams, New Orleans, La., Aug. 29, 2006

"I said I was looking for a book to read, Laura said you ought to try Camus. I also read three Shakespeares. ... I've got a eck-a-lec-tic reading list." --George W. Bush, interview with NBC's Brian Williams, New Orleans, La., Aug. 29, 2006

I do searches for "stupid Bush quotes" and there are (sadly) a gazillion of them out there.

Check out the latest. :)

Thank you very much for the pineapple tip. I've been stuck for two days and was about to go in for an unfill, but amazingly, the pineapple juice worked. I got a fill about seven days ago. It went fine. liquids for a day then back to "normal" food. Five days later, (Saturday) I ate part of a boiled potato. It got stuck. PB'd but I didn't feel like eating for the rest of the night. I was able to drink Water, however. the next morning, I had a Protein shake then ate some roasted meat at around noon. Something got stuck. I made it all come back up. Everything. But after that, not even Water would go down. I tried, warm water, salty water, milk, chicken Soup, coffee, and Protein drinks. It all just sat there. I could tell nothing was going down, and after about 30 minutes I would be tired of just burping the stuff, so I'd make it come back. Today was the second day of having nothing. I could feel I was starting to get dehydrated. I was about to call the doc to set up an unfill, when I decided to get on this site to hunt for options. I saw the pineapple tip, and wouldn't you know it . . .IT WORKED? It sat in there for a few minutes. I went to the bathroom anticipating that I was going to have to bring it back up just like the others. As I started to "assume the position" I felt a different type of "gurgle" and a different burp come up . . . like it came from beyond the pouch. Relief.

I'll have Soup and water for the next couple of days. I've never been so thankful and ravenous for mere soup and water.hungry.gif

i just sent my wife to get me some pineapple juice...i am newly banded, and on my 2nd day after surgery ate a small ham cube the size of a peanut,chewed it up real good, and i think it must be stuck cuz i haven't been able to keep any other liquids down since. i definately will not try even the smallest peice of real food for a while, tho my dr's instructions say mushies after day 7. nope...learned my lesson. On the plus size, er i mean positive side, i have lost 21 lbs, mostly Water weight, mostly from my feet, in 4 days!

i just sent my wife to get me some pineapple juice...i am newly banded, and on my 2nd day after surgery ate a small ham cube the size of a peanut,chewed it up real good, and i think it must be stuck cuz i haven't been able to keep any other liquids down since. i definately will not try even the smallest peice of real food for a while, tho my dr's instructions say mushies after day 7. nope...learned my lesson. On the plus size, er i mean positive side, i have lost 21 lbs, mostly Water weight, mostly from my feet, in 4 days!

You are on liquids now and you ate ham? The day after surgery???

This is not good at all. The post op diet sets the tone for the life of the band. You are not doing yourself any favors by not following the diet.

Not only are you too swollen to eat solids but doing so can prevent the adhesions from forming around the band. It's the adhesions that hold the band in place long term, not the sutures.

You can do a great deal of harm eating just one bite of ham.