Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what to do when something is stuck

I HAVE JUST GOTTEN MY SECOND BAND, AND HAVE STARTED WITH THE CHEST DISCOMFORT AND "STUCK" FEELING. wE STARTED CHARTING AND IT SEEMS TO HAPPEN IF i GULP OR EAT IN A HURRY. ALSO, TEXTURE SEEMS TO HAVE A LOT TO DO WITH IT. I AM NOT SURE YET AS TO READING MY BODY. i AM HUNGRY, THEN HURT. OR NOT

I do searches for "stupid Bush quotes" and there are (sadly) a gazillion of them out there.

Just got approved for surgery and am reading through all of these discussion threads to learn as much as I can.

I guess reading up on all of the complications everyone is posting isn't exactly the smartest thing to do on day two after approval because it is freaking me out!!! But I know that knowledge is power and I should be informed, especially after reading that someone's husband passed because they didn't do a barium test after the surgery (wanted to cry when I read that).

The point of all of this is...the George W. Bush quotes made me laugh in the middle of my freak out. Thanks!

-Anthony

Did they tell you to stay on liquids for a few days to let everything rest? I would imagine you have some swelling in there too.

I think it's a good idea to wait awhile for a fill too. I waited 2 months after being too tight and getting stuck all the time. I really think my tummy needed a rest. I didn't lose anything, but

I didn't gain anything either.

Yes, I am pretty much still on liquids since Monday. I am gonna try some mushies today. My stomach doesn't hurt anymore, but I will take it easy anyway. I don't think I will get another fill until after the new year. That may not be too smart over the holidays, but it's what I have to do. I will be good! There's no way I'm gonna let myself gain weight back!

my mexican dr. said he had a guy get a piece of carrot stuck castrol oil got it unstuck taste bad but seems like it would get anything unstuck very oily and slick. after it gets unstuck it will help you on the other end also.

I had my first fill 6 days ago. I'm discovering that what I could eat prior to fill is way different than after. I had one lousy piece of thin sliced turkey lunchmeat last night, got stuck, and slimed for 2 hours. I'm so sore today. It's going to take a while to get used to how this band works and it's temperment.

Sounds like you didn't chew well enough. take little tiny bites and chew until there is nothing left to chew.

what is the longest a person can expect to be blocked?. I am 3 weeks banded and ate some turkey yesterday, vomited the foamy stuff but not the turkey, I can get liquids down though uncomfortably. I haven't tried the pineapple juice yet but how long can this last?:help:

how you knew when something is struck because i experience something different i think i ever chew not enough or eat to much. this is my second week of surgery and i eat on xmas day and i got a knot in my stomach it doesn't hurt but i can feel it there. its on my right side of stomach. i hope it goes away can somebody tell me what that is.

what is the longest a person can expect to be blocked?. I am 3 weeks banded and ate some turkey yesterday, vomited the foamy stuff but not the turkey, I can get liquids down though uncomfortably. I haven't tried the pineapple juice yet but how long can this last?:help:

Sounds like you aren't stuck anymore, just swollen from being stuck.

Are you supposed to eat turkey three weeks out?

When you get stuck stick to liquids for the rest of the day, otherwise you get stuck again and more swollen, stuck yet again and more swollen.

hello, I usually have to vomit it out

Please don't vomit, it can make your band slip. Don't drink either, just get up and walk around and wait a few minutes and it will slide through.

Had two stuck moments this week my first week on "real food" Slimed a bit, ugggg and got nauseous and and made sure I didn't vomit.

Just take small bites and wait between bites. Good luck

Pati:tongue2:

Thank you for your question. I thought I was going to glide through this lapband experience without being stuck from food. Was I ever wrong! Yesterday, I had some rice and fish and got royally stuck. It took about an hour to get it unstuck. I had the Trader Joes tablets and I think they just came out when the food came up. It was painful in my chest and I tried throwing it up, burping it up, having my friend hit me on my back, etc. I ended up having my saliva accumulating and that would come up. Totally gross experience.

I felt so bad for my friend that saw me go through this. I know she felt helpless. I was considering going to the emergency ER. We were at the beach quite away from home. I am going to get some pineapple juice on hand. I hope this never happens again. I am not going to have rice again. I thought the rice was a bit sticky eating it but I ate slowly and small bites.

Today, I am okay. I had a Protein shake and tuna for lunch. I'm going to be very careful eating small bites, chewing better and avoiding this stuck feeling. My husband wants me to take Fluid out but I'm going to see my bariatric surgeon if this reoccurs. Very unpleasant experience. I've never had my saliva come up because food was lodged in my chest. Its so different than vomiting from your stomach. I can tell that it was stuck at the top of the stomach (band).

I encourage others to post and tell their experiences because I am considering having a bit of an unfill of my band if this continues.

I'm an expert at this...ask my children! hahah

1st, get your favorite liquid...one that tastes just as good coming back up that it does going down.

2nd, get to the kitchen sink w/ a garbage disposal

3rd, place your left arm w/ fist on the counter/edge of sink.

4th, lean into the arm/fist w/ the fist in the himlec position

5th, Drink the liquid fast and gulp...until you just can't hold anymore

6th, lean into the arm/fist w/ a little pressure...weight behind it

7th, make sure you don't have a dangly necklace or hair in the way

8th, aim for the target...the opening of the disposal

Repeat steps 5-8 as needed

:wink_smile::mellow::biggrin: lmao my whole family knows my routine as well, and its quite close to urs....sometimes if i need to guarentee an upchuck, i use the bathroom in the basement, its barely used so always smells musty to me, its just the edge i need to totally gag me...........lol

If you take out your fill, you won't have restriction and you will be hungry and want to eat large portions. You need to get the hang of taking itty bitty bites and chewing until it's liquid in your mouth. If you're doing that and still having problems, then yes, you need to have some taken out.

Rice is pretty common to give people problems.