Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

I noticed alot of you all are having to wait like amonth after your surgery before your doctors give you your first fill....One week after my surgery for my postop appt I got my first fill...and I just had my 2nd fill last week. He only gave me a small fill, even tho I told him I thought I needed alot. But he told me Im losing at a healthy and consistent patter and he wanted me to maintain that. My 3rd fill is scheduled for July 19th....So Im averaging a fill once a month.

I went for my first fill yesterday. I did not see Dr. Spivak, but I was ok with that....his nurse was great. My son went with me to hold my hand and cover my eyes. He was great! She had to stick me twice and dig around alot in there before she was able to get into the port. She said she could tell I had no scar tissure and that he had burried my port just right, but it made it difficult to get in it. The two pricks were like anything else you deal with a needle.....like a quick bee sting, or like when your getting your blood drawn. After that you just feel a lot of pressure....but I kept waiting for it to hurt, but nope, just a lot of pressure. When she reached the port it sound funny. After that I was off to take some kind of X-ray......I drank some white stuff that tasted like strawberry and they took the picture as I stood up against the machine drinking the stuff. I could see the monitor an could see my insides as I drank the stuff. She put 1.5 cc in my band, but I forgot to ask her what size band I got. She told me fluids for 24 hours and then mushies for two days. She said the minute I start getting hungrier between meal, and am eating more to call for another fill. She want to make sure I get to my sweet spot.

HIghest weight 255

surgery weight 242

current weight 225

goal weight 175

I have a question.. I had my first fill on June 12th ( i think... around that time anyway ) and I had restriction the first day but now.. none. Should I ask for another or wait?

I have a question.. I had my first fill on June 12th ( i think... around that time anyway ) and I had restriction the first day but now.. none. Should I ask for another or wait?

Well my Dr's nurse said that if I didnt feel any restriction or I guess was still able to eat a lot or was feeling hungry to call her. That she could fill me with something else rather than the saline. Sometimes the saline evaporates faster. I would call and let them know right away. The worst could be that they wont fill you for a couple of more weeks, or the best would be they would fill you again right away. Call them!

Sandra

Highest 255

surgery 242

current 225

goal 175

Just got back from Spivak's office for my first fill. They said I was in the top 10% of weight loss because most folks lose around 9 pounds (I am sitting right at 20) because they have a lot of trouble with hunger after the healing starts and tend to overeat, and I actually have not had much trouble at all. I asked if I could start solids after this three day liquid thing for the fill and the nurse looked at me funny and said "You are not on solids?" and I said Nooooooo....it's 4 weeks mushies...I am in my 4th week. She said she was really surprised because most people have so much trouble following the instructions they start early. I said no, the "solidest" thing I have had to eat was fish and steamed broccoli flourets. So after these three days of liquids and mushies I can do solids! Yay! I got 1.8 cc. We'll see how it goes. She did give me omnipack and said it would last longer. The fill injection was a total NON-ISSUE even though she had to "fish" for the port, which was "bouncing around"....it didn't hurt AT ALL. She even pulled out the stitch I was trying to "spit" from my left-most incision (glad to get that out...it felt like a splinter).

I went for my first fill yesterday. I did not see Dr. Spivak, but I was ok with that....his nurse was great.

Did you see Leslie? She was very nice. I didn't have to do the barium drink because their flouroscope person was out, so I just had to gulp a bunch of Water. She gave me the omnipack stuff instead of saline solution, so hopefully it will stay in there longer. She said it is normal for a first fill to lose some of the saline pretty quickly. I live towards Galveston so it takes a while to get into town so maybe this will alleviate having to come back so soon for fill number 2. Keeping my fingers crossed. I understand all of Spivak's fills will be done in his office now (as opposed to the Surgicenter) now that he has the flouroscope.

Just got back from Spivak's office for my first fill. They said I was in the top 10% of weight loss because most folks lose around 9 pounds (I am sitting right at 20) because they have a lot of trouble with hunger after the healing starts and tend to overeat, and I actually have not had much trouble at all. I asked if I could start solids after this three day liquid thing for the fill and the nurse looked at me funny and said "You are not on solids?" and I said Nooooooo....it's 4 weeks mushies...I am in my 4th week. She said she was really surprised because most people have so much trouble following the instructions they start early. I said no, the "solidest" thing I have had to eat was fish and steamed broccoli flourets. So after these three days of liquids and mushies I can do solids! Yay! I got 1.8 cc. We'll see how it goes. She did give me omnipack and said it would last longer. The fill injection was a total NON-ISSUE even though she had to "fish" for the port, which was "bouncing around"....it didn't hurt AT ALL. She even pulled out the stitch I was trying to "spit" from my left-most incision (glad to get that out...it felt like a splinter).

I am soooo happy for you Kacee! My weight loss has sorta come to a stand still, but thats the reason for the fill yesterday. I also saw his nurse and had a good experience. So far so good!!!! I got 1.5 cc in my band....so I am hoping to start loosing again. I am doing broths and liquids today and will start on mushies again on Satarday. Fells like we are starting all over again since surgery. I feel great though. Take care!!

Sandra

Highest weight 255

surgery weight 242

current weight 225

goal weight 175

ShayDee, my doctor told me that the first fill would not last very long. I have no idea why, but that is what he said. He scheduled me for my second fill two weeks after my first one. He said at that time they hope to get better restriction. From there, I am not sure when I will get my third fill. My doctor told me as soon as you quit feeling "morning band" then you need a fill? I am just watching what I eat again, waiting on my 2nd fill. I am still losing (a little, not a lot, LOL!) so I am trying not to be down about it.

ShayDee, my doctor told me that the first fill would not last very long. I have no idea why, but that is what he said. He scheduled me for my second fill two weeks after my first one. He said at that time they hope to get better restriction. From there, I am not sure when I will get my third fill. My doctor told me as soon as you quit feeling "morning band" then you need a fill? I am just watching what I eat again, waiting on my 2nd fill. I am still losing (a little, not a lot, LOL!) so I am trying not to be down about it.

Ha! Go figure. I really should call my doctor then. I just feel like I'm starving all the time but I think it has a lot to do with a) I don't have enough restriction and :) I'm not getting enough Protein.< /p>

Thanks you guys!

<p>Hello, I was banded May 2, 2007 and have had two fills first one 4cc and the second one was Tuesday and I think it is the SWEET SPOT account I cannot eat more than few ounce of food and I am full. I have never experienced the full feeling since I was banded but I have now and when you first feel that feeling do not take another bite or your miserable for a bit. At first I thought I was stuck because I did not know what the full feeling was but after a couple of days I finally figured out that was the sign of being full although my head said keep on eating. ANYONE ELSE DESCRIBE THAT FEELING OF BEING FULL ITs WEIRD. you think you have something stuck but you don't. I have a total of 6cc in 10cc VG band.</p>

yea- figuring out "full" is still hard. Plus my mouth wants whatever is tasting good so stopping after a small amount is a challenge

you got that right Majorie, but it hard to stop when it taste so good, but after a coupe of times of that mserable feeling you will stop I found out the hard way did not puke but man I was feeling awful for about thirty minutes or so. DESCRIBE YOUR FULL FEELING MINE FEELS LIKE food IS BACKING UP THROUGH MY THROAT.

Slackaction Thats usually when I know to stop as well. I don't feel bad afterwards. IF the food starts coming back I know I have had enough. I have never thrown up and I have only felt that I've overdone it maybe once. I'm going to see the Doc again tomorrow so I plan on asking him about this.

I went for my first fill yesterday. I did not see Dr. Spivak, but I was ok with that....his nurse was great. My son went with me to hold my hand and cover my eyes. He was great! She had to stick me twice and dig around alot in there before she was able to get into the port. She want to make sure I get to my sweet spot.

HIghest weight 255

surgery weight 242

current weight 225

goal weight 175

Sounds like it went great! Congrats! Your son is quite the trooper....KUDOS to him.

I wonder why they said the first fill doesn't last long? Keep us informed....i'm curious.