Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

Hi all...

I was away for a week on vacation. For the first time in about 5 years I was able to lay on the beach... without feeling like someone should be pushing the whale (myself) back into the ocean!! HA! Sad part is I slipped up quite a bit.. BUT I stayed active all week.... alot of walking and swimming. I feel much better knowing that like everyone else... I'm not "perfect" with my eating habits....after all, we are normal....we just need to learn portion control.... 1 slice of pizza rather than 5.

I'm counting down the days for my first fill..... Friday the 29th!

I am not sure how they work but is anyone up for an exercise challenge? I need some motivation to get my big ole butt in gear. I have been to the gym once and have started walking but I need some serious motivation! Unfortunately the gym that I have a membership to is 30 minutes away and I do not always have the time.

So what do you think......July exercise Challenge???:)

I am not sure how they work but is anyone up for an exercise challenge? I need some motivation to get my big ole butt in gear. I have been to the gym once and have started walking but I need some serious motivation! Unfortunately the gym that I have a membership to is 30 minutes away and I do not always have the time.

So what do you think......July exercise Challenge???:)

I would love that! I have been struggling to get to the gym daily and maybe this would be incentive.

I haven't had my first fill yet. I go on June 29th. Still, I thought that I would at least have some restriction.

Is anyone able to eat a FULL PLATE of food? I can! If I don't chew properly it will get stuck, but I can eat a large salad from Applebees with NO PROBLEMS... What's up with that???

Next, does anyone STILL have gas? A month later and I'm still farting!

Anyone still with port pain? This morning I woke up with it really sore.

Finally, I would like to know about your activity restrictions. My Doc said 3 weeks and then hit the gym but no ab work. I can understand that but I often feel like other exercises are hurting my port area- like chest press, push ups, and some of the tricep work. What are you all doing?

I posted this on the pre/post op questions forum, but my friends here in the May group always have good answers so I thought I'd post this here too!

Has anyone had the problem of weakness in your legs if you have eaten too much? This has happened to me 3 times now. Legs feel shaky like they are not going to hold me up! Goes away really quickly, but it is odd. I see my doc on Monday (June 25) for a check up and fill, and will be sure to ask him, but thought this group might have some thoughts.

Thanks.

Margaret

Count me in for an exercise challenge...I need some motivation too! I made my hubby go out & play paddle ball yesterday, I think he had fun so maybe we'll continue to do that a few times a week. Speaking of exercise, has anyone seen the "bean" informerical on TV? Does anyone have it? Does it work? My abs are what I need to work on & it looked like it might be a good one?!?!

I just ate Breakfast, and it was the most delicious tasting food that I have had since the surgery! Used to be on Sundays that I would fix a big breakfast, but today I only made a mere portion for myself and I am TOTALLY satisfied! So happy that I can eat "normal" foods!

Glad to hear everyone is still hanging tough...this waiting for a fill is definitely a test! I am not scheduled until July 6th, boy I don't want to slide backwards now!

Have a good day!

I haven't had my first fill yet. I go on June 29th. Still, I thought that I would at least have some restriction.

Is anyone able to eat a FULL PLATE of food? I can! If I don't chew properly it will get stuck, but I can eat a large salad from Applebees with NO PROBLEMS... What's up with that???

Next, does anyone STILL have gas? A month later and I'm still farting!

Anyone still with port pain? This morning I woke up with it really sore.

Finally, I would like to know about your activity restrictions. My Doc said 3 weeks and then hit the gym but no ab work. I can understand that but I often feel like other exercises are hurting my port area- like chest press, push ups, and some of the tricep work. What are you all doing?

I do not get a fill until July 19th and I was banded before you! I do still have some restriction though. I am not sure about the bean and as far as gas....I was lucky in that area!

I used to have severe port pain, it finally went away but yes any of the exercises that use your core area will tend to upset the port!

As for the challenge.....do we keep a running total or do we just keep our own ticker going????

Metal, I dont know how it works either but i would be game. I think it would be easier if we started a new thread in our may 2007 folder?

I guess we should look at some other challenges to see how they have been done. i have been going to the gym on a regular basis but just not doing as much as i should once i am there. i have pretty much been doing mostly cardio but need to step up some weight training. I think I am about to start dragging DH to my gym again.

My first fill didnt give me much restriction at ALL. I feel like calling them this week. I eat less because I am afriad of "stretching my pouch" but pretty much walk around starving all the time. Sometimes it even makes me in a bad mood because I am so hungry and so afraid to eat. This really sucks, i cant wait for this band to be more on auto pilot.

Metal and Rag-

Count me in! I'm interested in joining the exercise challenge.

Margaret (aka NimbleBean)

I tried to find other challenges....March bandits had 20 days of excise and 20 days of at least 64 oz of Water (that is so difficult for me)

What do you think? Should we do a gold, silver, bronze?

It should have its own thread....I agree.

Let's do the Water and the exercise! 20 days in the month of July and 64 oz of water sounds great! We should make it at least 30 minutes long. I don't want to cheat and count jogging in place for 10 minutes as a work out!

i would defiantly be interested in the challenge. I was banded the 30th of May and this last week just got back to exercising. I biked all last weekend while camping, I walked 2 nights for 2 miles uphill, (good ole country roads) an mowed my 5 acre yard half of it with a push mower instead of the rider.

If we dont move we are not going to loose as quickly. Mine is finding the time and with the weather cooperating. Planned on walking this morning and it stormed rather bad ...so hoping tonight we can get it in.

Count me in on this.....

Hello everyone - it sure sounds like everyone is progressing well. I just thought i would touch base real quick since it is so easy to sit on the sidelines. food wise I am doing pretty good. Lost almost 3 lbs last week which was good. I am eating puree/mushy food as both go down very well (getting my Protein Drinks in as well). I do get full but as day's pass I find that I am not uncomfortable after I eat like I did even two weeks ago.

I am paying close attention to the head vs real hunger and only eating when my stomach is actually crying for food.

Question for the women on the Post: Has anyone noticed their TOM being delayed due to the surgery? (no I am not pregnant)

My port pain is now gone (unless I irritate it somehow). I am still gassy but think that will be around for a while... I also get my first fill on the 29th and feel ready for it. I go on vacation for a little over a week on the 4th and really need to watch it. I don't want to gain 5 lbs back and then spend another 2-3 weeks getting back to where I started prior to vacation.

Well I went to the doc Friday for my 1st visit since surgery and It did not go so well. My weight loss was good and I thought everything was great until I asked him for a little bit more of a fill. I had my first fill a week ago friday. I was not feeling good restriction and the nurse could not give me as much as she wanted bc I was feeling faint. So I figured no prob right. Well I guess I made my first big mistake with the band. After suregery you can eat just about anything before you get to your fill. Well after your fill everything still goes down just as easly so please don't fall into the bread trap like I did. I had 1 peice of bread on sunday and through out the week I had 3 breakfast taco's. Thought this could not hurt, I mean 3 breakfast taco's were 1 meal their own not 3 seperate meals. Well None of the new fill would take. The barrium did not move and showed that I had already dialated my pouch. I have been back on liquids for 4 days again trying to get my pouch to go back to normal. My point is please don't make the same mistakes. Like they said this is way to early in the banding to already be dealing with this and it's not healty at anytime bc this is what make's the slippage possible. This little bit of bread products did this in 1 week. I can go back to mushies mid day tommorow according to hubby. Anyway please follow all the rules after your fill and if you do them now it will be easier after the fill. needless to saY I could not get my fill again and I have to go back in 6 weeks for a fill and recheck.

I would be interested in an exercise/water challenge, let me know when the new thread starts

Ljuht115...

Yes on the late TOM. I was 6 days late (normally you can set your calendar by me). And the really pitty part was that my regular monthly headache started on time, so it hung around more than a week, instead of a couple days. Boy, was I geting grumpy, but Friday things finally progressed and the headache is finally going away. The monthly munchies and cravings that I get were stretched out too, that was a real bear. I'm sure it was just my bodies reaction to the sever diet change. I had the worst cramps I've ever had too, kept me up all night on Friday night, never had that happen before. Hopefully this is not a new norm, only time will tell.