Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

Sandra,

My 4 week bandiversary is tomorrow too! I'm scheduled for a check-up/possible fill on June 25. But, I still am not eating alot of solids. Mostly soft solids - chili, eggs, well mashed chicken salad. I have tons of restriction in the morning, and lunch is often a guessing game as far as restriction goes. And dinner, well lately I have been able to eat way more than 4 ounces at dinner and I'm still hungry. I am still having a problem with eating too fast, and I am not getting in enough Water (my doc wants 1 oz every 15 minutes!).

I'm nervous about my first fill too. Particularly because I haven't been doing a lot of solids yet. Wonder if it is too soon for a fill. Guess the doc and I will have a chat!

Good luck on Wednesday. Let us know how it goes.

Margaret

Well my fellow A-May-Zing bandsters. Tomorrow will be 4 weeds since I was banded. I feel great, and I have lost 17 pounds. I know that it is time for a Fill, and I have that scheduled on this Wednesday. I see that a lot of you are still waiting after 4 or 5 weeks for a fill. I on the other hand can eat everything....as long as I chew and eat real slow everything goes down. At first I would eat 5 small bites and would be totally full and would be satisfied till my next meal. Now its taking long for me to fill up, so my Doc said it was time for my first fill. I am excited to see more weight come off, but I am scared of the needle. Do take one prick or two???? That is the question till Friday at least!! LOL!! I am very happy with the band an hope to continue this journey with that state of mind. NO REGRETS AT ALL! Wish me luck on Wednesday!

Sandra

Highest weight 255

Surgery weight 242

current weight 225

goal weight 175

Sandra are u going to the meeting tomorrow?

Hey have any of you all had any discomfort after eating that will last a while. I had a Cereal bar for a mid morning snack and I did not chew my last bite well I guess and it hurt a little going down. For a while after i had some discomfort and then i felt better and had my lunch Smartone. Now I have had the discomfort ever since. Not bad pain felt like it did right after surgery. I'm thinking maybe inflamed or something. Surely not a slippage already. I have not vomited 1 time nor is my stomach really upset. Only that feeling when your hungery, but not eating. I decided to go the rest of the day on liquids and see how I feel in the morning. I'm really worried though. I have a doc's appointment of Friday and if things have not changed by then I will speak to him about it.

Anyone experience anything similiar?

hi...

im a do-0ver. i got my new band May 24th. Im sitting on a small fill that he put in right away during the surgery (i think its 1cc or .5cc even) and im in bandster hell. Had PERFECT restriction up until a week ago. I can eat pretty much anything. Im trying to at least watch my meals, keep Water going. gave up my shakes so i could eat solid calories instead hoping it would help.

I just thought that since i was a do-over i could join both threads?

:)

cause im starting over...

and its really tough right now...

As a followup to my airport scanner issue earlier this week, I passed through Indy International today with no problem. Perhaps DFW is more sensitive?

I'm scheduled for my first fill on the 26th, looking forward to it.

Hey have any of you all had any discomfort after eating that will last a while. I had a cereal bar for a mid morning snack and I did not chew my last bite well I guess and it hurt a little going down. For a while after i had some discomfort and then i felt better and had my lunch Smartone. Now I have had the discomfort ever since. Not bad pain felt like it did right after surgery. I'm thinking maybe inflamed or something. Surely not a slippage already. I have not vomited 1 time nor is my stomach really upset. Only that feeling when your hungery, but not eating. I decided to go the rest of the day on liquids and see how I feel in the morning. I'm really worried though. I have a doc's appointment of Friday and if things have not changed by then I will speak to him about it.

Anyone experience anything similiar?

Oh, Michelle, you are NOT alone.

I was banded May 21. My doctor gave a pretty lenient post-op diet from what I have read. First week liquid, second week puree's, third week soft foods, and back to regular diet gradually the 4th week. (21 days post op) Everything was fine week 1, 2, and 3. The first two days of week 4 on solid food was great. I could eat just about anything. Then on the third day of regular diet, I was eating some tuna and mayo (1/2 c. measured) and a few minutes later I had this awful, awful pain in my chest and I could tell that something had happened or that I ate too much. I walked around and the pain lastest several hours, but thankfully subsided. But, every time I tried to eat "real" food after that, I got the same horrible stabbing pain. I have yet to PB or vomit, thank goodness, but I couldn't imagine taking another bite. A few days later I had the worst abdominal pain I have ever experienced in my life. It was on my left side under my rib cage. Of course, it was Friday night through Saturday morning and I was home with the kids. I almost woke everyone up to go to the ER. Luckily, the pain started to subside by Saturday. It has been 6 days and I still can't eat solid food. I spoke with the doctor on the phone. He said that what most likely happenend was that I had eaten too much and/or the wrong thing when I started solid food and that it irritated the band and probably caused a lot of swelling as well. (My doc also said it did not sound like a slippage.) So, he gave me the option of waiting a few days and going back on liquids to see if the swelling goes down (like after a fill) or come in for an unfill. (Explanation: I have the new AP band that hasn't been introduced widestream in the US yet. I found out during this conversation w/ my doctor that the new band has the ability to be filled during surgery and that I already had a slight fill.) So far, I'm waiting it out because I am no longer in pain. But, I am scared to death to try something "solid". For the most part, I have been on liquids, but I did try some mashed potatoes and gravy yesterday for Father's Day and that went down OK and today I had 1/2 jar of babyfood. I think if I don't feel better by Wednesday morning I will go in for that unfill until I am back to normal.

Please, keep me posted on your progress.

hi...

im a do-0ver. i got my new band May 24th. Im sitting on a small fill that he put in right away during the surgery (i think its 1cc or .5cc even) and im in bandster hell. Had PERFECT restriction up until a week ago. I can eat pretty much anything. Im trying to at least watch my meals, keep Water going. gave up my shakes so i could eat solid calories instead hoping it would help.

I just thought that since i was a do-over i could join both threads?

;)

cause im starting over...

and its really tough right now...

Yes, yes, yes! Of course you can join! It's great to know somebody else has the small AP band. I was shocked to find out I also had a slight fill during surgery.

Welcome!:)

I have the small ap as well and found out that I already had 4cc's put in at the time of surgery. I guess thats why I was almost able to go 3 weeks with awesome restriction. I now have 6cc. I bet your right it's just a little irriated and swollen. I hope your right anyway. keep me posted on your progress as well.

Lizrbit Welcome and congrats on the new band.

I have the small ap as well and found out that I already had 4cc's put in at the time of surgery. I guess thats why I was almost able to go 3 weeks with awesome restriction. I now have 6cc. I bet your right it's just a little irriated and swollen. I hope your right anyway. keep me posted on your progress as well.

Wow, that's really interesting. I hadn't heard many people on the May forum talk about the AP band. It's good to know I'm not alone. Now I am really interested to find out how much of a fill I have.

Hi there may bandsters, so I went in for my first fill today and was so excited for more restriction, and nurvous at the same time. I had heard from everyone that it really wasnt a big deal to get a fill and very little pain. WRONG! after 3 pokes and lots of proding around (about 15 min) I was dying. It was then decided that my port had flipped over while healing. So I am headed back into a little surgery that I was told takes about 15 min to repostition, I do get my fill while doing that. hopfully it is as easy as I was told. yikes, this had to happen to me!

Kaylali - Could you tell looking back that your port had flipped? Mine is still tender pretty much 4 weeks post op and this is a concern of mine. My Dr says it is normal to feel sore/tender for up to a few months post surgery so it is hard to tell - I go in for my first fill on the 29th. When do you have to have it fixed?

Wenjea (and all my other fellow bandmates that are out there going through banster hell), how did you do today. You are right it is another day, I did really good on my food I think, Protein Drink for bkfst, thai Soup for lunch and a Protein Shake for dinner. MUCH better than yesterday. I fessed up at work and my co-workers are very supportive, I was scolded very sweetly and was asked to remind myself why I got the surgery =-)... te he... Thank all you guys for the support, I really want to do this right and not loose my resolve. Wenjea - hang in there!!!!!

Of course I have another question: it is my TOM pretty much any minute and my back/diaphram area is killing me. Is that normal or possibly due to the changes in my body with the band. My dog also got me in the front right side of my stomach right under my boob (sorry guys) and it is also really sore.

Take care .......

Welcome to DBAGuy and lizrbit!

I will add you both to the May 2007 calendar as soon as the bug is worked out with adding pix... and calendars!

Good luck to you both and keep up posted on your progress.

Margaret

Got up this morning and decided to strip (did everything but shave my head....and you guys KNOW what I'm talking about here! hahahaha) and climb on the scale for the first time in 3 days. I've been sitting at 200.4 all week. Lo and behold! 199.0!!!!! My Goodness, I haven't seen those numbers in a decade or more! WOW:eek:. I still don't believe it. I think it will be gone by noon....it's just a dream! Well, my mini goal was to hit Onederland by the time I went in for my first fill....day after tomorrow!!!! YIPPPPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!:biggrin1:;)

Sandra are u going to the meeting tomorrow?

I really wanted to go, but I have my 5 yr. old daughter w/ me today at work. I work close to the Med-Center, but live close to Baytown, so it would be to hard to take her all the way home. I wonder if I take her with me it would be a problem??? Are you going??? My first fill in tomorrow....very excited! Have you been to the support group yet???

Sandra

Got up this morning and decided to strip (did everything but shave my head....and you guys KNOW what I'm talking about here! hahahaha) and climb on the scale for the first time in 3 days. I've been sitting at 200.4 all week. Lo and behold! 199.0!!!!! My Goodness, I haven't seen those numbers in a decade or more! WOW:eek:. I still don't believe it. I think it will be gone by noon....it's just a dream! Well, my mini goal was to hit Onederland by the time I went in for my first fill....day after tomorrow!!!! YIPPPPPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!:biggrin1:;)

OMG!!! I am sooooooo excited for you.....you must feel amazing! I just cant wait till I can say I am 199....I probably would throw a party!!!!! Congrats Kacee!!!:clap2:

Sandra

Highest weight 255

Surgery Weight 242

current weight 225

goal weight 175