Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

I am also experiencing true physical hunger - last night was the worst... I ate a good lowfat high Protein dinner - but an hour later I was starved - and my son had a bunch of friends over and wanted me to go pick up pizza's and munchies - so being the good momma - I did but it about killed me! I had some soy crisps - and was ok - but it is getting harder and harder - can't wait until my first fill! Anne

Hang tight Anne! I had my first fill yesterday and ate very little last night. This a.m., I was famished when I awoke. I had some coffee (I know, I'm not supposed to, but I don't have it everyday, so I was bad!) and about a half hour later, an oatmeal b'fast cookie. That held me over until lunch time around 12:30. I was very hungry by then. I had a large cobb salad from Publix and split it before I started eating (didn't want the leftovers to get soggy). Well...I couldn't eat even the half. I'd say I ate maybe a quarter of it. I had some fruit and some sushi to nibble on as well (communal table at work), but never got to it. I just couldn't eat any more! Now this I like!!

For those that were asking, I feel a little tight (I can still feel something that doesn't quite feel stuck, but almost. It's not terribly uncomfortable though.), but I'm not on liquids.

Jsrico, try Activia. There's even a lowfat one. My hubbling swears by it! I tried it and it tastes pretty good, but lordy it gave me gas!!! (Sorry, I know, TMI.:)) And since my surgery (yes, still!!!) I've had plenty of that all on my own!!

If this is what the band feels like when it's working properly, I have to say it's great!

Hello fellow bandsters,

Well I am 3 weeks out since the banding!!!! I feel good, I have lost 17 so far and am very happy. I figured all this would be harder, but far so good. The only little problem I have is that any time I change my diet I can not have a BM. Total Constipation. Any suggestions on this???? Please help. The first week was the runs, and I have not been for two weeks now so I am desperate.

2 T of Milk of Magnesia (sp), that did it for me within a few hours. My doc's office told me to use that.

It been a while since I have been on. Getting busy with life now. YEAH!! But I am so glad to read that we are all ready for fills. I too am starting to want more than I should and my head is only part of the reason. I got lucky with my first fill, but Dr. office will be on VC for the 2 weeks that I need the fill, so they are pushing me up to June 18th. YEAH. I can't wait. We go on VC the week of 4th of July and I will need that restriction for the VC. Of course my hubby picked an All Inclusive resort.. great, the test is on. All you can eat and drink? Not getting my monies worth this time, that is for sure.. but better in the long run.

Way to go May Bandsters....

BTW.. What is the June challenge, I missed that?

How many cc's are in your band? I can't wait until I feel like that!

Well, it's official. I called the doc's office and got a new appointment for my first fill. It's now 6/21 instead of 7/3. I wish I could have gotten in sooner, but it's almost two weeks earlier. I'm way too hungry and can eat way too much...

I can relate to the hunger/anger. Seems that I used to be quite the stress muncher at work. I have been more hungry but my fill is not till the 28th. 2 more weeks......I have noticed that I can definitely eat whatever, although I overdid it on the refried Beans at lunch and had a couple almost PB's. I have not been sick yet and do not want to be. I am pretty entertaining with those sort of burps that make a lot of noise coming up but never make it out! Anyone else have that? I also notice if I lay on my left side I get the same rumbling. Someone prior had talked about the Jurasic dinosaurs. Now I know!

I am just trying to concentrate on not gaining. I am at the 19 lb mark and am also looking for the magic 20! I figure this will be my last hurrah before fill-dom. I am looking forward to that also. SO far I am just trying to make wiser choices and to put a helping on a small plate rather than eat out of the takeout box. At least that helps me monitor the intake although I am not counting calories at this point. Just pretty much eliminating anything white from my diet!

Hello Everyone:

I am doing pretty well today, still feel back pain under my diaphram on my port side if I sit or stand too long.

I am coming close (next Wednesday) I purreed food to my diet in 1 oz increments at mea time with Protein Shakes in between, I havent quite hit bandster hell yet, but food is starting to smell really good. I only want one little slice of pizza, not four pieces!... I get my first fill on the 29th before i go on vacation and am very excited about this.

I am in mourning some over my vacation because we always drink, eat like kings, play in the garden (I go to lopez island every year for the week of the 4th) etc...

Do you think I could sneak a drink of wine in or something while I am on vacation??? I know some dr. say it is okay, but mine is very conservative and I truly respect all he has asked his patients to do as post surgery requirements.. has anyone tried to have a glass of anything yet here or there? And if so, how has it gone (at around week 6-7)

ALSO Crab.... If I mush it up, would that be considered a puree/mushie? has anyone tried that at 6-8 wks post op yet as well??? I can't imagine going up and not being able to at least taste the freshly caught crab!

At least I am on a loosing streak again. I attribute a lot of it to working as i am slammed and running around the office feeling like i have just ran a marathon.

Still doing Terrible on exercise though. BUT - I did buy Dance Dance Revolution which I can hook up to my hubby's xbox 360. You put the pad on the floor and it has an excercise section on the video game to get a work out. Sounds funny but I think it will be more fun for me than walking - te he...

Until later!!!!!

I tested the waters...or the rum :(

I had a Pina Colada tonight and I have not noticed anything different. I am one of those few drinks a year drinkers so I do not have any kind of tolerance built up. Cheap date, that's me. I did feel more relaxed...until I came home and my husband has started working nights so that leaves me to deal with baths and such. Oh well, there's andother happy hour somewhere and I go to work tomorrow!

The scale hasnt moved in two weeks and although I know I shouldnt be I am really bummed about it. I have been eating healthy, working out like crazy, and nothing! This part of being banded stinks. I get my first fill next week but it is depressing to think it could take months to find the "sweet spot" with fills. Sorry, I am having a pity party again.

SO far I am just trying to make wiser choices and to put a helping on a small plate rather than eat out of the takeout box. At least that helps me monitor the intake although I am not counting calories at this point. Just pretty much eliminating anything white from my diet!

Hey PineNut, Are you counting your Protein? I'm trying to eat my protein first, but if I never have another gross Protein Shake again, it'll be a day too soon! I just hope my hair doesn't fall out!!! Like you, I'm just trying to make better food choices. I have noticed I eat a lot less. I was eating about half of my normal portion size, but yesterday at lunch I couldn't eat more than a quarter (I had my first fill on Tuesday). Then last night, the hubbling fixed dinner, lots of not-so-good food choices...I had to explain why a potato wasn't a vegetable. But I ate it anyway! Funny though, I'm not hungry at all this a.m. This whole band journey is really a trip! Never know what to expect next.

Raqdollx19, there, there. It's gonna be ok.

I am so right there with you guys that are HUNGRY & wanting your first fill! I am on the mushie stage, but have had NO problem eating anything I try which is SCARY!

I am really trying to work on the psyche and realize that a major part of the hunger is in my head...but it's a really slow process and I am not winning! The scale isn't moving much but I know it is because I am probably eating too much--I have kept it between 1000-1200 calories, and I am walking daily.

My fill isn't until 7/6/07, 3 more weeks! Aaargh!!

Did the May bandsters set a June challenge? We need to really be there for one another & support each other...I will be there for anyone that needs to vent!

Hang in there band-friends!! And, GREAT job everyone!! :(

I am also counting down the days (hours and minutes) until my fill. I'm SO HUNGRY... and its not "head hungry" my stomach is growling and I feel as if I haven't eaten in days!! Same problem I had before being banded!!

Hi Everyone~

My local support group suggested this meal idea--it's rather filling (and the full feeling lasts awhile!)

Progresso Vegetable Lentil soup--1/2 can & 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese. If you put a little ricotta on the spoon & then the Soup it kind of melts into the soup making it creamier. In total for that serving there are 240 calories & 17 grams of protein!

I had it yesterday for lunch...and it lasted with me for a good 4 hours before I got the hunger growls back!

Hope this helps somebody!

Hello to All

My name is Lori Ann and I feel the hunger pangs like crazy...they start at the bottom of my stomach and move all the way up...if definitely isn't head hunger. I am trying real hard to practice self restraint because when I eat I am not getting full. I was banded on the 24th of May and I was fine after surgery for about a week and then I began to feel like I was starving. I have tried all the suggestions that I have gotten here....protein always first. I just started the mushies stage, but I don't want to do anything high in calories, because I have been real good about all of the rules....I feel like eating mashed potatoes would defeat my purpose. So I try to do Water, water, water. I do a high Protein dring in the morning, cottage cheese at lunch, and bowl of Soup for dinner......I CAN HARDLY WAIT UNTIL MY FIRST FILL. My doctor won't do my fill until the first week in July....only a couple of weeks away. Good luck to everyone!!! We're in this together!! Eventually we will be able to utilize our band like we are supposed to do.....we just need to make it through this tough time and I know we can with all the support and experience we find on this board.

Love to all,

Lori Ann