Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraged with "planning" meals

Sunday evenings are my prep days. Here is what I have done and it is working for me.

I bought 4 cases of mason jelly jars. On Sunday, I go to the store and get my ingredients and make a huge batch of whatever and put them into the jars. As I walk out the door to work, I grab a jar. It sits on my desk and by lunch, it is ready to go into the microwave.

I have been doing this for awhile, so I have a nice variety in my garage freezer. If you have a garage freezer, great, but just clean out your kitchen freezer and you will have plenty of room. So, what do I have in there?

• Turkey Chili - Ground turkey, Beans, onions, carrots, tomatoes, chilli spice. Takes me about 20 minutes to prepare, I let it simmer for an hour and jar it.
  • chicken Veggie Soup - I bought a rotisserie chicken, put it in the fridge to cool. It is easier to pull apart that way, too. Bought a few bags of frozen veggies I like with some chicken broth. Again, about 20 minutes to prepare and simmer for about 30 minutes. Jar it.
  • Lasagne - Trader Joes has Italian chicken sausage that I take out of its casings and simmer with ground turkey. I added some spaghetti sauce and some extra Italian seasonings. No Pasta, but when I jar it, I add a teaspoon of low fat parmesan cheese. 20 minute prep and simmer for 20 minutes.
  • German cabbage and ground turkey - This is probably my favorite. Red cabbage with vinegar, spices and veggies simmered with ground turkey.
  • Mahi Veggie Quinoa - I know you don't like fish, but this is to die for. Baked Mahi, quinoa, tomatoes and veggies with lot of garlic and lemon. Smells a little with you microwave it so be sure nobody is in the office or just save it for home. Fish dish in a mason jar? Yup. 20 minutes.
  • Shredded pork - On sale at QFC for $1.77 last weekend. Put in crockpot for 10 hours with onions. Pour off liquids after and add your favorite BBQ Sauce. 10 minutes.
  • Yankee Pot Roast - They had them on sale last weekend at QFC BOGO. In the crockpot for 10 hours with onions, carrots and potatoes. 30 minutes because I also make a gravy to pour into the jars. Having this for lunch today.

Like I said, I've been doing this for awhile, so I have a large variety, but you are worth taking the next two Sundays to prepare 6 different dishes that can be stored in the jars. These jars are re-usable and will be with you forever. And also let me add, this is darn cheap eating. Everyone around me is going out to lunch to the tune of $7 a day while I have great, nutritious meals for around 50 cents a serving ... sometimes less.

You can do this. Not just the OP, but everyone reading this. It really isn't that hard. Don't make it be.

Make meals, not excuses ... :)

i just printed this out! Such great ideas. Do you like veggie soup? You can def add that to the list. I use the "breakfast starters" soy crumbles instead of ground beef some times and you can't tell the dif and good!

Now, the cabbage - I love cabbage - when you say vinegar (how much and what spice) red wine, reg? Is this like kraut?

Also, we do a "meal in a bag" with a head of cabbage, carrots, onions, potatoes (if desired) zuchinni and turkey polish sausage. all cut into chunks, add a stick of butter (or some olive oil) plenty salt pepper and some Checheres herbs/spices and bake in a oven bag or dutch oven til veggies cooked. It is delish.

I so relate! I am not a meal planner at all! And I struggle with eating leftovers, its crazy but I have been like this since a kid. I am an extreme picky eater but learned that I cannot be with this surgery. I love dairy! I am not hungry at all but one thing I have found that is easy for me to remember to eat and get my Protein is to make sure I have lowfat cottage cheese small curd, and string cheese at work. Those are my go-to Snacks. I eat every 3 hours if I don't I will let time slip by and wont eat until dinner time. I also try my best not to eat past 7pm. Which is hard for me since I go to college and have classes from 5-8:30pm. It gets easier once you get a routine down, it took me sometime to get one down. I really like the mason jar idea, I might pitch that to my mom and we have a cooking showdown and make a few!

I haven't gotten sleeved yet.. Next month .. But I have found that the Atkins freezer meals are really good! I keep some at home and some at work!

Hi PDxman,

I wanted to tell you thanks for such great recipes. Tonight I tried the chicken Soup and my teenagers and hubby loved it. It took me no time and it was a cheap meal for4 plus left over. They had a piece of cornmeal with it. I just drink the soup a cup and I was very satisfied. I'm making the barbecue pull pork in the crop pot tonight. I will reserve a portion for me without barbecue sauce and the rest for the family. Another quick recipe is the taco soup. I use turkey ground meat, three cans of Beans (rinse them out) and one can so stew tomatoes. I use taco seasoning low sodium and garlic and paprika powder. Cook it for 30 minutes and it takes awesome.

i just printed this out! Such great ideas. Do you like veggie Soup? You can def add that to the list. I use the "breakfast starters" soy crumbles instead of ground beef some times and you can't tell the dif and good!

Sunday evenings are my prep days. Here is what I have done and it is working for me.

I bought 4 cases of mason jelly jars. On Sunday, I go to the store and get my ingredients and make a huge batch of whatever and put them into the jars. As I walk out the door to work, I grab a jar. It sits on my desk and by lunch, it is ready to go into the microwave.

I have been doing this for awhile, so I have a nice variety in my garage freezer. If you have a garage freezer, great, but just clean out your kitchen freezer and you will have plenty of room. So, what do I have in there?

• Turkey Chili - Ground turkey, Beans, onions, carrots, tomatoes, chilli spice. Takes me about 20 minutes to prepare, I let it simmer for an hour and jar it.
  • chicken Veggie soup - I bought a rotisserie chicken, put it in the fridge to cool. It is easier to pull apart that way, too. Bought a few bags of frozen veggies I like with some chicken broth. Again, about 20 minutes to prepare and simmer for about 30 minutes. Jar it.
  • Lasagne - Trader Joes has Italian chicken sausage that I take out of its casings and simmer with ground turkey. I added some spaghetti sauce and some extra Italian seasonings. No Pasta, but when I jar it, I add a teaspoon of low fat parmesan cheese. 20 minute prep and simmer for 20 minutes.
  • German cabbage and ground turkey - This is probably my favorite. Red cabbage with vinegar, spices and veggies simmered with ground turkey.
  • Mahi Veggie Quinoa - I know you don't like fish, but this is to die for. Baked Mahi, quinoa, tomatoes and veggies with lot of garlic and lemon. Smells a little with you microwave it so be sure nobody is in the office or just save it for home. Fish dish in a mason jar? Yup. 20 minutes.
  • Shredded pork - On sale at QFC for $1.77 last weekend. Put in crockpot for 10 hours with onions. Pour off liquids after and add your favorite BBQ Sauce. 10 minutes.
  • Yankee Pot Roast - They had them on sale last weekend at QFC BOGO. In the crockpot for 10 hours with onions, carrots and potatoes. 30 minutes because I also make a gravy to pour into the jars. Having this for lunch today.

Like I said, I've been doing this for awhile, so I have a large variety, but you are worth taking the next two Sundays to prepare 6 different dishes that can be stored in the jars. These jars are re-usable and will be with you forever. And also let me add, this is darn cheap eating. Everyone around me is going out to lunch to the tune of $7 a day while I have great, nutritious meals for around 50 cents a serving ... sometimes less.

You can do this. Not just the OP, but everyone reading this. It really isn't that hard. Don't make it be.

Now, the cabbage - I love cabbage - when you say vinegar (how much and what spice) red wine, reg? Is this like kraut?

Also, we do a "meal in a bag" with a head of cabbage, carrots, onions, potatoes (if desired) zuchinni and turkey polish sausage. all cut into chunks, add a stick of butter (or some olive oil) plenty salt pepper and some Checheres herbs/spices and bake in a oven bag or dutch oven til veggies cooked. It is delish.

I do enjoy veggie soup, but have tried to stay with things packing Protein punch. The only tofu I really enjoy is in stir fry types of dishes. Otherwise, I can't handle the texture. As far as the cabbage dish it is:

1 head of red cabbage, cored and sliced medium width

1 medium onion diced medium

2 tart apples diced medium

3/4 cup balsamic vinegar

1/4 cup butter (yup, the real stuff)

1/2 cup sugar (yup, the real stuff)

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/2 - 3/4 tsp clove (I like the flavor, so ...)

1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 Tbsp salt

You want a medium dice on everything as it is going to reduce when it is cooked and you don't want it withered away into nothingness. If I have some excess kale, carrots or zucchini from my garden around, I will toss some of that in, too.

In a large pot, just toss it all in over medium heat to a boil, then reduce to low. Put a lid on and simmer for an hour or two stirring occasionally. This is one of those dishes where you need to determine how you like it and cook accordingly. If you like a crunch, you will want to simmer less. If you have kids in the house, you will want to make sure you turn on the stove vent as it can be quite stinky to humans under the age of 18.

Myself, I make massive batches and then can them. I do not cook the mixture very long as they get to sit in my pantry from months absorbing all of the yummy goodness. I pull a quart out and add it to the cooked ground turkey. After enjoying the meal, I have enough leftovers for about 6 or 7 jelly jars. Into the freezer they go and become lunch options over the next few weeks.

*** EDIT ***

I use the "real stuff" in all my cooking. If you look at this recipe with alarm, let's take a deeper dive. I am getting like 7 to 8 meals out of this, so take whatever alarms you and divide it by 8. That half cup of sugar works out to 1/16 of a cup in a serving. This works out to 12.5 g of carbs. For me, I resolved the sleeve is going to be restricting my intake of all the "bad" stuff. As long as I follow the basic guidelines of the sleeved life, I do not have to militantly monitor my sugar/butter intake. For those who have not read my ramblings over the years, I have been maintaining at goal for over 2 years. This approach works for me.

Edited by PdxMan

Hi PDxman,

I wanted to tell you thanks for such great recipes. Tonight I tried the chicken Soup and my teenagers and hubby loved it. It took me no time and it was a cheap meal for4 plus left over. They had a piece of cornmeal with it. I just drink the Soup a cup and I was very satisfied. I'm making the barbecue pull pork in the crop pot tonight. I will reserve a portion for me without barbecue sauce and the rest for the family. Another quick recipe is the taco soup. I use turkey ground meat, three cans of Beans (rinse them out) and one can so stew tomatoes. I use taco seasoning low sodium and garlic and paprika powder. Cook it for 30 minutes and it takes awesome.

How did the pork turn out? I love the idea of the taco soup. I will be making that soon, for sure. Thanks for the idea. If you do not like BBQ Sauce, may I suggest a teriyaki or a mustard/herb sauce? I like plain pork enough, but I need some kind of sauce on it if I am going to be eating it over the next few weeks.

One thing I accidently discovered a couple weeks ago, though, I have to share. Trader Joes is now carrying this chopped veggie mix:

trader-joes-healthy-8-vegetables.jpg

I put some of this on some romaine lettuce with a bit of ranch on a plate with my BBQ pulled pork. Well, some of the pork accidently mingled with this blend in a bite and OMG! It was incredible. I have had it a few times since. It is so good and so easy to make now that I have my pork all jarred up in the freezer. Talk about good and good for you.

Can you say 5 minute meal?

Thank you PdxMan for the great ideas. Love this post.

Pdxman, these are great!

I don't plan meals. I'm single, live alone, hate cooking and I've always been a deli take out kind of gal. Postop I'm pretty much the same. I try to keep a lot of Protein staples in the house...eggs, cheese, tuna fish, deli sliced meats, canned Soups (that I add powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein to), Greek yogurt, milk, avacodos, refried Beans, Syntrax nectar powders, Premier Protein, etc. One of my best finds was Tyson frozen grilled chicken. Comes in a resealable bag and I can just grab a couple pieces and throw them in the microwave. The only real "prepping" I do is make mini burger patties (I get 8 out of a pound of ground beef) and freeze them individually. I also keep frozen veggies around and drink V8 and 100% no sugar added juice everyday.

I usually have a big Protein shake for Breakfast and I travel all day for work, so I keep Protein Bars, string cheese, mixed nuts and Jerky handy to snack on all day. When I go home at the end of the day, if nothing at home seems appealing, I swing by the store and pick up whatever looks yummy. Whatever it is usually lasts several days before I'm over it and give the rest to the dogs. I really haven't stressed about food prep or planning....just eat what I'm in the mood for, protein first, then veggies, carbs last and rarely.

I don't plan meals. I'm single, live alone, hate cooking and I've always been a deli take out kind of gal. Postop I'm pretty much the same. I try to keep a lot of Protein staples in the house...eggs, cheese, tuna fish, deli sliced meats, canned Soups (that I add Unjury protein to), Greek yogurt, milk, avacodos, refried Beans, Syntrax Nectar powders, Premier Protein, etc. One of my best finds was Tyson frozen grilled chicken. Comes in a resealable bag and I can just grab a couple pieces and throw them in the microwave. The only real "prepping" I do is make mini burger patties (I get 8 out of a pound of ground beef) and freeze them individually. I also keep frozen veggies around and drink V8 and 100% no sugar added juice everyday.<br><br> I usually have a big Protein Shake for Breakfast and I travel all day for work, so I keep Protein Bars, string cheese, mixed nuts and Jerky handy to snack on all day. When I go home at the end of the day, if nothing at home seems appealing, I swing by the store and pick up whatever looks yummy. Whatever it is usually lasts several days before I'm over it and give the rest to the dogs. I really haven't stressed about food prep or planning....just eat what I'm in the mood for, protein first, then veggies, carbs last and rarely.

This sounds like what I will be doing after surgery. I'm getting sleeved on 4/23 and I work and travel a lot. How are you doing with this type of eating? I have over 100 lbs to lose! : /

Hi...

I love it, best thing I read. I too and am single, live alone and hate cooking. This is the best. I have stocked up on premier Protein shakes. My surgery is I. 4/3..

I. Def going to start off with this men up,an as THIS will work for me..

Thanks for this !!!

Nicey2u, so far so good. I want to lose 80 pounds total. I lost 20 pounds on my 16 day preop diet (no cheating) and another 40 pounds in the 3 months post op. Down 3 pant sizes and feeling good. I feel good about my weight loss rate... Not too fast so I feel like it will "stick". I had a month stall where I only lost 2 pounds, but that's normal. I like eating normal without a lot of fuss. Yesterday I had brought a Protein Bar and Greek yogurt to eat during the day but instead the "tamale guy" was at one of the places I went to and I bought 2. Ate 1/2 for lunch and 1/2 for late afternoon snack, and I've got one to eat today or tomorrow. Not the highest Protein source, but then again, I'm not on a diet! I do always get in at least 1 large Protein Drink (30g protein/20-34 oz) every day to make sure I'm getting a good start in the protein and fluids categories. The rest I play by ear.

This is great to hear!! I was worried... I started my diet feb 7th and have lost 20 lbs so far with a little cheating in weekends!! Hah I will have 80 more to go and I am hoping to be down to where I want by October so I can were something nice to my sons wedding!! Thanks for sharing!!

• chicken Veggie Soup - I bought a rotisserie chicken, put it in the fridge to cool. It is easier to pull apart that way, too. Bought a few bags of frozen veggies I like with some chicken broth. Again, about 20 minutes to prepare and simmer for about 30 minutes. Jar it.

Like the idea of the mason jars...Never thought of that. I'm 16 months out and still looking for ideas. My husband doesn't eat the same as me, so get sick of leftovers!!