Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is it possible to eat 60-70 grams of protein ?!

I don't have a nutritionist, it was not required or recommended to me. I'm one month 1 week post op. I see all these posts saying how much Protein you are supposed to eat, I've seen mentions of 90 grams a day. Is this inflated or real? I don't track calories daily in myfitnesspal, I tried but always give it up and can't stick to it. I am happy with my progress (18 lbs down) so am not complaining about that. I just don't see how it's possible to get in that amt of protein. I eat 1 egg for Breakfast and coffee. Even if I would eat 2 eggs that's only 12 grams of protein. If it's a day where I have Greek yogurt which is only some days out of the week, that's another 12-16. I have a few slices of cheese/lean deli turkey for lunch, maybe 6-10 more grams of protein? And then at dinner, I usually have salad with chicken (but not always) that 1 chicken breast is only 23 grams. So I'm barely at 60 on a day where protein is in every meal and there are plenty of days where I get sick of the same routine and have something different. So basically just wondering if people do actually meet those protein goals on a daily basis ?

Edited by SecretBander

usually i have a shake for breakfast, instead of something solid like an egg, and that gives me 30g. Few of slices of cheese isn't ideal for Protein, so maybe replace that with some tuna or more deli meat.< /p>

Nice Protein shake is one way. I start the day with a 40g shake. 30g from the whey and another 10 from the Simply Smart Milk. Toss in some frozen fruit for some Fiber and blend it up. Good stuff...

shakes are one way of doing it but for me, it doesn't give me the satiety I need so I take a supplemental Protein powder...like Unjury. Each packet is 21 grams of protein and that gets me to or close to 60-65 grams daily.

I average about 80 grams a day. For breakfast I have my Protein Shake (30) and my greek yougart (12). For lunch I'll have some tuna (Tuna Creations 2.6 oz package theres (18) and maybe a hardboided egg(7). Supper I'll have 4 to five ozs of chicken breast or steak and some veggies (28-30) for a total of 90 grams or more. Sometime I can't finish all of the supper and sometime I can't finish all my tuna for lunch so averages out to about 80 grams. I never have a problem getting my Protein. You didn't say anything about have a protein shake. That would help you out a lot.

This is what I do - egg whites, tuna fish, chicken breast, turkey bacon, almonds/nuts, Beans, and cheese. I also do Protein shots or a Protein shakes - the Protein Shots are called "Body Fortress super Protein shots" from Walmart - they are 120 calories and give you 26 grams of protein. These are just suggestions. You will get this figured out.

I know some people have made comments about these protein shots and about them being bad, but they work for me. I don't really like whey Protein Shakes and this will give me the protein that i need. If I don't get my recommended allowance of the protein a day, I just do the protein shot to bring me back up.

Hope this helps.

I do 80 to 90. I always have my Protein bar for breakfast and get 30 gm there. I try to make my Protein primary for my meals and occasionally I don't make it much past 60, but most days I do. Good lean chicken or tuna will get you there pretty easily.

I'm a little hesitant to chime in here, but I think the American obsession with Protein may not be the right thing for me. I do love protein, don't get me wrong, but I think it's better for me to listen to my body and respond rather than shooting for a specific amount. Last night, for example, I was hungry so I had a little smoked salmon. Often I find if I am hungry it is protein that I want (need) but I'm not able to get in the amount that others do and I'm not stressing over it.

I start my mornings with a Protein shake that is 30g of Protein. I build on that through the day with lean chicken, turkey, tuna, some cheese, greek yogurt, nuts and even Protein Bars. I figure I'm getting between 65 and 75g of protein each day. I don't track it so I won't obsess over it. My body lets me know when I need more. I just listen and follow it's commands :)

I have had days over 100 grams in a day. But that's having a shake for either Breakfast or lunch and gluten free oatmeal with added Protein Powder. Those are both 30 grams each then dinner is either organic chicken or ground turkey and veggies so there's 30 more. Sometimes you can get creative and find ways to add the powder to something you like to eat. It keeps me satisfied longer the more Protein I have.

Thanks for the ideas. I thought that ideally in the long term we were supposed to not rely on shakes in our diets because it's a slider?

Some people have said that - but if the Protein shake doesn't have a lot of calories (mine are around 200 calories) and if you are getting a high quality Protein, I don't think it is. Now, if you are drinking a milkshake, that's different.

Also the Protein shakes will keep you full longer because of the higher protein.

My doctor and my nutritionist both are ok with my daily Protein Shake. It's under 200 calories and it's low in sugars. Now, if it was my only source of Protein all day...well...they would have much to say about that.

i drink a Protein Shake in the mornings with FF milk.....so the Protein is 28 grams per 1 scoop and 8 grams w/the milk........a great way to start out my protein intake for the day..i aim for 80+ per day..some days its more and some days its less....my doctor does not consider it a slider and i do not rely on the shake for my main protein intake....i eat protein rich foods (meats/beans etc).....that is what one does when they have WLS.....you eat better quality foods......

Edited by ☠carolinagirl☠

Right now - I'm less than one week post op. I use a combination of shakes and unjury - the chicken Soup is very good. Once I'm on solids, I'll still supplement with a shake or two.