Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day 4 and I'm not feeling well. Is this normal?

Last night my temperature was 99.8 and I was miserable. I stopped taking the pain med as they make me feel dizzy and a little queasy. I'm taking tylenol, but feel really out of it. Is this normal? So many people feel great by this point and I just feel sick. When should I expect to start feeling normal? I'm not feeling much pain if any, just feel kind of flu like (with no flu). I would love to get up an go for a walk, but all I feel like doing is laying down, being lazy, and sleeping. Is this normal for day 4? Or, is this not a good sign. I'm 55, so I'm an older patient. Also, I had a hiatal hernia repair and can't seem to take a deep breath anymore. Will this get better and is it normal? I am really starting to worry at this point.

Hello Pegsbored.,

I'm so sorry you are feeling down. Remember if you have a fever call your doctor. I am 5 days out now (3/5) and haven't walked the streets yet just around and around the house. I get tired and have to lay down because we women can be over-doers. Listen to your body cues. Plus you had hernia surgery too. If your fever is up check in with on call doctor today. Good Luck!

It's totally normal to feel tired and run-down after having major surgery. Anesthesia alone can knock you back for a while.

Not sure about elevated temp but I basically slept most of the first days home and then had more waking hours each day. Was probably 10 days before I felt somewhat normal but even that wasn't the normal that it is today,

Hang in there. It will improve each day!

Dear Pegs,

I was sleeved on 3/5 so I'm right there with you. Don't push yourself, everyone heals differently, but follow Lombardos ( I think I got close to her name) advice-- call the doc if you run a fever. I'm 50, so let's stick together and not measure our success on others. This is a journey and we are just getting started. Hope you are better tomorrow. Take care of you.

Definitely normal. I had a low grade fever the first few days. I was told to drink more fluids. That seemed to help me. Drink a little at a time, but make sure you get enough fluids in. Remember, we're all different & heal differently. Take your time, but be sure to follow the rules you're given. You'll get better each day, I promise :)

I'm a RN and while low grade temps can be normal post op, when combined with flu like symptoms and breathing difficulties you need to contact your doctor just to make sure you aren't getting a pneumonia!! It's always better to be safe and see your doctor!! He or she wants you to have a good outcome from your surgery and we all want that for you too!

I can relate to everything your feeling except for the fever. I'm 54 years old and have always bounced back from surgeries except for this one.

I felt miserable for the first 15 days. Although the pain was minimal, I didn't feel like myself and had some regrets. However, on day 17, things began to change. I have more energy and am now taking 20 min walks. I realize that 20 min. isn't a lot based on what others are doing, but each step for me matters because 5 days before I was depleted.

It seems that many of us during the early stages don't have the perfect recovery and our pre-op excitement was replaced with some a level of regret. Know that it does get better with time, and as we recover and begin to feel and look great this experience will help us keep on track w our new healthy lifestyles.

I wish you a speedy recovery

Thanks everyone! I fell asleep and feel a little better now. My temp is normal now, but I'm still not able to take a big lungful of air. If that continues I'll call my doctor in the morning. I'm going to try and get outside and walk in the sun a little. I guess I thought like any other time I had laparoscopic surgery I'd be bouncing back by now! I will give it more time and just keep plodding along.

Keep a close eye on the temperature, if it goes up for any length of time be sure to contact your doctor because this would be the first sign of a possible infection.

As far as the breathing, you need to keep trying to fill your lungs. They should have given you a spirometer at the hospital. If they did, make sure you are using it frequently. After Anesthesia your lungs need to be filled frequently to prevent moisture from pooling in your lower lungs and causing pneumonia. This can be a bit painful at first but it is very important as the possible complications will cause much more misery.

Also, the hiatal hernia repair is really minimal compared to the rest of the surgery. Other than restricting the amount you can swallow it shouldn't cause any extra pain.

The main things my surgeon told me to be sure I do after surgery was be sure I am breathing well, and walk, walk walk. Dont let anyone baby you. Walk around the house, fix your own foods ect. And keep progressing. I pushed myself through the first few days and by day 7 post op I was walking a 1 mile+ once to twice a day. The harder you push (without over doing it) , the quicker your recovery.

PegsBored,

I too had trouble taking a deep breath. Remember, though, that during the procedure, your chest muscles were stretched WAY out so the surgeon has room to do his work. Those muscles are probably really sore right now. Heating pads did the trick for me, and within a few days I felt much better.

Side note: when I was coming out of anesthesia in the recovery room I had such a hard time breathing and had so much pain in my breastbone and left shoulder that I freaked out and had to be sedated frequently! I was terrified. So glad that is behind me now. Oh, and I'm 49, I'm right there with ya! Hang in there!

Hi. I am 49 yrs old and 4 days post op. Each day I feel a little better,although today I am spending entirely too much time in the bathroom .Every drink-literally runs right through me. I hope this part of the normal recovery process??

Day 4 and 5 were the worst ones for me. Did not want to get out of bed. After that it was major improvement every day. I really think I could have gone back to work day 8 or 9 and I don't have a desk job. I did wait for 2wks to go back to work jic. It does get better so don't despair.

Just want to thank everyone for the input and thoughts. I was feeling much better by day 5 and now at 1.5 weeks I have to slow myself down. I am amazed at how well I have been feeling.

Just want to thank everyone for the input and thoughts. I was feeling much better by day 5 and now at 1.5 weeks I have to slow myself down. I am amazed at how well I have been feeling.

Oh I hope that happens to me too! Day 2 and it seems so far away!